Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Short Throw Shifter for a 92 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 12:38 PM
hidavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Short Throw Shifter for a 92 SC300

I can't find one online!

My 5-speed shifter is really sloppy because of bad bushings. I figured if I'm going to change the bushings, might as well take the opportunity to upgrade the shifter entirely...

but I can't even find the bushings, let alone the short-throw shifter. Help please!
Old 10-24-15, 01:09 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually went to Lexus a couple weeks ago to buy the bushing.. only to find out it fits yours and not mine.

I still have it in the original package, it costed me $7. This is only for the bushing.

I tried looking online to find a kit for a 92 and it seems impossible...

Here's this if you ever need it at least..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-94-sc300.html
Old 10-24-15, 01:55 PM
hidavi
Driver School Candidate

You're saying you have both bushings for a 92 SC300? Would you sell them to me?
Old 10-24-15, 08:45 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

hidavi,

Luxurious was giving you the link that shows how to remove your factory shifter and replace a worn out shifter seat. Often that wears out faster than the nylon bushing on the end of the shifter itself.

Toyota P/N for the shifter seat (good for about 5 years) is: #33505-35020

Or you can buy the best bushings available from Marlin Crawler which last nearly the life of the transmission:

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...y-duty-sockets

Marlin -- early W58 shift bushing "All other common Toyota Applications, (p/n: MCTM-532)"
Marlin -- early W58 shift seat "(White) (p/n: MCTM-522)"

If you want a genuine short shifter that will fit your 1992-94 factory 5-speed, you only have one option:

http://www.suprasport.com/Quick-Shor...-V3_p_176.html

^^ Highly recommend it. It's an improved copy of an older C's short shifter design intended for MKIII Supras but if you read the fine print on the webpage it will say it is compatible with the early W58 SC300's. No modification required. I can confirm compatibility as well.
Old 10-25-15, 06:26 PM
hidavi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
hidavi,

Luxurious was giving you the link that shows how to remove your factory shifter and replace a worn out shifter seat. Often that wears out faster than the nylon bushing on the end of the shifter itself.

Toyota P/N for the shifter seat (good for about 5 years) is: #33505-35020

Or you can buy the best bushings available from Marlin Crawler which last nearly the life of the transmission:

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...y-duty-sockets

Marlin -- early W58 shift bushing "All other common Toyota Applications, (p/n: MCTM-532)"
Marlin -- early W58 shift seat "(White) (p/n: MCTM-522)"

If you want a genuine short shifter that will fit your 1992-94 factory 5-speed, you only have one option:

http://www.suprasport.com/Quick-Shor...-V3_p_176.html

^^ Highly recommend it. It's an improved copy of an older C's short shifter design intended for MKIII Supras but if you read the fine print on the webpage it will say it is compatible with the early W58 SC300's. No modification required. I can confirm compatibility as well.
dang, I wish I had seen this post about the marlin crawler parts before I ordered a Dorman replacement set. It was only $12, but these seem better. I guess its OK though since I will only put maybe 2000 miles a year on this car.

I have to think more about the short throw shifter. That's not cheap lol.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-15, 12:32 AM
KahnBB6

Welcome!

The bushings are not complicated to install and all of them (OEM, Dorman, Marlin) will work. The Marlin Crawler versions are different in that they are VERY hard nylon. A bit of a chore to install the MC seat but the result is stable shifts that last for years without need of a replacement bushing.

Yes, the V3 shifter's only downside is price. Very good quality though. I run one of those myself.

Bushings ought to clear things right up.
Old 11-08-15, 06:19 PM
hidavi
Driver School Candidate

Two things:

The screws seen here in step 12 ... I over-tightened the top right one when I was finishing and the head came right off... is my car going to be OK? It seems to be driving fine, but its basically missing a screw there now...

The Dorman 924-258 bushings kit will require modification to fit in an SC300. The shifter seat bushing (green piece) fits fine, but the shift lever bushing (white) is too big out of the package. I had to sand it down with 60-grain sandpaper for 20 minutes to get it to fit in the W58 transmission. I'm not ordering this kit again if I ever have to do this to another SC300 or Supra MKIV.
Old 11-08-15, 10:17 PM
KahnBB6

Ouch! That really sucks. It's probably okay for now with three bolts holding in place but if I were in your situation I'd get the broken one professionally removed. Before that, I'd get a new set of those screws from Toyota or Lexus to have on standby.

I would not leave it like that indefinitely. If I were in your situation I'd plan on getting it fixed soon. Don't leave it like that indefinitely.

As long as the shifter is in place as should be then yes, your car will be fine. However I can't say how added stress on the other three screw might affect the shifter's stability over time. I don't recommend hard slammed shifts for instance. Whatever you do, you want to get that broken bolt end out of the gearbox safely.

Thanks for the update on the Dorman bushings. Seems like they just didn't get it right with the lever bushing at all. That leaves the Toyota/Lexus bushings for W and R series gearboxes and the Marlin Crawler versions.

The seat bushing is the one that tends to wear the most FWIW.

Your bolt situation sucks. Sorry man. To get it out you probably need a screw/bolt extractor but I recall that those shifter bolts are quite thin so it will require a very fine version of that tool. If you are familiar and confident with how to do this then good but if not, take it to a dealer or mechanic whom you *trust* and have them do it.

Here's a sample video that shows the basic procedure for removing a snapped bolt with an extractor tool. In your case you'd need a much finer version of this.

Again... determine whether you can do this yourself. If so and you're already familiar-- great. If not, take it to a trusted shop. It's very fast but has to be done right the first time.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-08-15 at 10:28 PM.