Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

99 SC300 Throttle Body & Extra Pedal Position Sensor (was a fun one to trouble shoot)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 08:50 AM
99scMMGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SC300 Throttle Body & Extra Pedal Position Sensor (was a fun one to trouble shoot)

I had acceleration issues on my 1999 SC300 not to long ago. When I pressed the gas, basically nothing would happen, car would barely move unless I floored it, which I found out mechanically opened the butterfly valve on the throttle body slightly when fully pressed down. Being my first time dealing with this issue, I started checking various sensors on the throttle body since the drive by wire portion was not functioning at all I checked (with a multimeter):

-Throttle position sensor ($60 at auto zone)
-The electric motor that opens & closes the butterfly valve on throttle body
-The throttle pedal position sensor
-Other odds and ends, acceleration cable, vacuum lines.. ect

I learned that the throttle is a hybrid of drive my wire/mechanical. After replacing the TPS to no avail, I called the local parts shops for the *Pedal Position Sensor* and found out that no one carries that sensor but Lexus or Toyota, and with my buddies discount, was still over $400. Woa! So I checked craigslist and thank god found a guy selling a complete good condition throttle body for $250.00 with the working pedal position sensor on there and another extra **Pedal Position Sensor**

Turns out my issue was of course that pedal position sensor. The car didn't know that I pressed on the gas pedal essentially so the servo motor didn't know to open the butterfly valve on the throttle body.

So now I have a complete throttle body with the Pedal Position Sensor that I don't need. I would like to help a fellow Club Lexus member, these seem difficult to find, and money can be tight, especially when the dealer cost for just the sensor is crazy expensive. I am looking to get back the $250.00 for these parts.

If you have any questions, or need help on this issue, I would be glad to help, it took me a minute to figure it out. Even if you are only slightly mechanically inclined it is something you can fix and don't need to pay a shop to do it.

Last edited by 99scMMGT; 10-16-15 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-19-15, 09:06 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this with my 99SC. Fortunately my guy was able to diagnose immediately, but that part is so damned expensive!