Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lextreme Torque Converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 07:29 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lextreme Torque Converters

Anyone know if Lextreme is still modifying torque converters?

Does anyone use one and have any input as to performance and reliability?

I will be getting my trans ATF built and need an upgraded TC.

Thanks
Old 10-14-15, 02:39 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

get the ATF TC so you are dealing with the same company and if they are problems , it is easier to get help if you both got the items from them. They will give you a good deal.
Old 10-14-15, 03:46 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Thanks Gerry. I was thinking of that, but looks like Lextreme only charges $180, and they weld all of the fins on the TC. Sounds like a really good deal, compared to $1300 for the ATF converter. I will have to ask them though what they would charge for a package deal
Old 10-14-15, 06:14 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '97 SC300 - Auto.
What kind of HP difference will a torque converter make?
Do you guys recommend a certain brand?
Old 10-15-15, 01:49 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SEIDO
I have a '97 SC300 - Auto.
What kind of HP difference will a torque converter make?
Do you guys recommend a certain brand?

It won't make a HP difference at all. Your selection of a torque convertor should be based on a number of factors such as what the car is used for, where in the RPM band it makes power, how much it weighs, suspension setup, etc. It's damn near a science if you want to get the maximum possible benefits out of it.
Old 10-15-15, 03:47 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXMAG
It won't make a HP difference at all. Your selection of a torque convertor should be based on a number of factors such as what the car is used for, where in the RPM band it makes power, how much it weighs, suspension setup, etc. It's damn near a science if you want to get the maximum possible benefits out of it.
True, I just need it to be able to handle 550, maybe 600rwhp. I'm not so sure the stock TC can handle that much.. Anybody know how much the stock TC can handle??
Old 10-15-15, 08:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Thanks Gerry. I was thinking of that, but looks like Lextreme only charges $180, and they weld all of the fins on the TC. Sounds like a really good deal, compared to $1300 for the ATF converter. I will have to ask them though what they would charge for a package deal
Originally Posted by LoveSCs
True, I just need it to be able to handle 550, maybe 600rwhp. I'm not so sure the stock TC can handle that much.. Anybody know how much the stock TC can handle??
You have to know exactly what torque converter it is , are they giving you a new converter or working on yours , is it new or used , what is the stall and so on.

Torque Converters are chosen not really based on horsepower . You choose your torque converter based on the use of the car like is your car primarily a drag car or street car so you need to choose low or high stall converter , etc.

The ATF converter is a new 3500 stall converter for the ATF built tranny. But again you can choose the stall you need base on car use.
Old 10-15-15, 09:59 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
You have to know exactly what torque converter it is , are they giving you a new converter or working on yours , is it new or used , what is the stall and so on.

Torque Converters are chosen not really based on horsepower . You choose your torque converter based on the use of the car like is your car primarily a drag car or street car so you need to choose low or high stall converter , etc.

The ATF converter is a new 3500 stall converter for the ATF built tranny. But again you can choose the stall you need base on car use.
You can purchase one from them and send yours back as a core. But in my case, since not many people need an upgraded 1jz TC, I will just send him mine for rework. They do have the ability to change the stall, but to be honest, I don't really care about the stall because I do not race. I just have some fun on the street. My primary reason for sending it to them is because they weld the fins so that it can handle more power with minimal deflection. That's kind of why I am hoping that they still do the service because a $1300 TC would be overkill for me. I'm already going overkill on the trans, but that's because I don't have an option if I want to push 500+rwhp through the auto. I think ATF is the only way to go, but it would be nice if there was a reliable 600hp setup that could be had for cheaper.

Thanks