Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAF delete!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 10:57 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAF delete!

So ecumasters (website is http://ecumasterusa.com/), has their EMU out for the RB motors, along with their piggyback, the DET3.

The EMU has built in wideband control, will do flexfuel, and also has a bluetooth for a tablet. Price is a lot cheaper than AEM EMS.

Currently, I have a R32 GTST, with a RB20, and I am currently running their piggyback. The piggyback is so awesome. It supports MAP switching, Boost Control (with a solenoid), launch control, and an extra output for random things (shift light, nitrous, or water meth). It also had an onboard map sensor, they come in 2.5 and 4 bar. The best thing about it, is that you can delete the MAF!

Once you get your car tuned using the MAF, all you have to do, is literally, click a button in the software, and it'll convert your MAF signal and use the onboard MAP sensor. You have to clean up the tune a little, but form what I've read, it's not too hard.

I just installed mine last night, and got to play around a bit with it, but it works pretty well. Obviously the piggyback isn't as great as a standalone, but it is easy to work with. The best part about the piggyback is MAF delete.

The biggest down fall is that you get a connector, and a bunch of pins. Probably the hardest part of the install. A friend of mine (who is an electrician by trade) crimped all the pins for me, and made me a nice little harness. If there's enough interest, I can make him a few.

Speaking of install, there's only a handful of wires you need for install!

Power, Ground, three for the CAS, and two for the MAF. The install is virtually the same as a SAFC, so super easy. I got to play with launch control a little, and I did pull a little fuel (just to make sure it worked), and I also pulled timing, then added some, and I could hear the idle move up and down. Pretty good unit, at a fraction of the cost.

So $450 for the unit, $200, for a wideband, $40 for a MAC valve, and you'll have a MAF delete, boost controller, and launch controller. Not to mention a controller for your nitrous or water meth setup.

For me, I'm putting my map switcher as a hidden switch for valet mode. I plan to just pull all the fuel out at 2500 RPM's lol.

So for the SC400 guys, you can ditch the KMV sensor finally. This unit works with the KMV, there's videos of a MKIII with a 2JZGET using 7m electronics (also a KMV sensor) and he ditched it. I wish they made this when I still had my supercharged SC. This unit is pretty new, and I got mine for a good price, and definitely loving it. I don't plan to make a ton of power on my Skyline, so this works perfect for me (plus I remote start, and don't want with the syncing of standalone).
Old 02-01-18, 09:31 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Noob question

Thread back from the dead.
Came across this searching for answers on why you would delete the MAF.
So what benefits would a MAF delete bring?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-18, 03:37 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

MAF is restrictive .. it measures the amount of air and its temperature coming through a particular size of tube and entering into the engine .

That is the reason engine used for forced inductions usually use the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor (or MAF removed and converted into a MAP system) for better air measuring with less restriction as compared to the MAF.
Old 02-02-18, 07:57 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default .....

Originally Posted by gerrb
MAF is restrictive .. it measures the amount of air and its temperature coming through a particular size of tube and entering into the engine .

That is the reason engine used for forced inductions usually use the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor (or MAF removed and converted into a MAP system) for better air measuring with less restriction as compared to the MAF.
Awesome. thanks for the timely response.