Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gauge placement/interior question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 12:57 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge placement Q&A/Write-up

Original question: I can't seem to get this piece off. This is a 95 sc300. Everytime I try, I feel like I'm breaking something. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to share. I have a Greddy 60mm gauge I plan on placing in here and I'd like to remove it so that I can cut the hole without worrying about anything else getting in the way.

NEW:
I've decided to do a write up of this, I'm sure I'm not the last person who is going to need assistance with this modification.

Tools:
Dremel tool
402 mandrel
932 aluminum oxide grinding stone
applicable cutoff wheels
flat tip screwdrivers of various sizes
1 1/4" hole bit and drill
eye pro
gloves

I originally used this thread to ask about how to remove the panel piece and I got a few helpful replies so I decided to go along with this and do a write up on how to place a gauge in this particular area.

1. You can start by removing the panel, use a combination of SOFT leverage with a flat tip and some elbow grease to get this thing removed. It comes out fairly easy.

2. Look at everything in there and look at your panel and gauge. Where do you want the gauge to go and will you have clearance? I'm using a 60mm Greddy Warning/Temp gauge so I needed a little bit more space than normal autometers. Are you going to be putting more than one in this area? I recommend only putting gauges there that you don't have to keep a constant monitor on while you're driving. I don't beat on my car nor do I race, so putting a water temp gauge here for me is fine, as only a few glances during a typical trip around town will suffice for peace of mind. Be mindful about what you'll need to constantly check.

3. Gather your tools if you don't already own them. I bought the dremel tips/wheels and the hole bit at home depot, super cheap. One pack of cutoff wheels should be fine for this application.

4. Place your hole. Decide where on the panel you want your gauge to sit and use the hole bit to get it started. I used a 1 1/4" bit, if you're using a smaller gauge you should bring your gauge with you to home depot to compare the size. Try to get a bit just a little small, that way you can use the dremel to fine tune the hole so the gauge isn't moving everywhere. Cut the hole, this might take a few minutes, as there are three layers of stuff to go through and you might have to use the dremel to cut off one of the retaining clips before your bit will go any further.

5. Once your hole is cut all the way through, get the grinding stone ready. While grinding around the circumference of the hole, stop and check your gauges' fit. Remember not to make it too big. You can also get away with only grinding away the foam and plastic, you probably wont want to touch the leather anymore.

6. When all is said and done, bring the panel with gauge back to the car and test fit it. More than likely you'll have to cut some of the plastic bracket pieces out of the way. I had to cut quite a bit and it only took me 2 cut off wheels. Beware the hot plastic melting, it hurts. Also, be mindful of the wire harness running behind the plastic pieces. Continue to test fit and remove until desired amount has been removed.

And there you have it, gauge fitting! Next, I'll expand on the wiring of the gauge so as to not destroy your harnesses. More to come (pics included), stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails Gauge placement/interior question-img_7720.jpg  

Last edited by zneubauer; 09-20-15 at 10:48 PM. Reason: the question was answered, so I turned the thread into a DIY gauge placement write up to assist members with similar questions and issues
Old 09-15-15, 01:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the leather "L" piece pulls right off, has like 3-4 metal push in clips behind it.
I put a gauge there once and was terrible can't see it while driving at all.... now if you are talking about the black vent piece above it, that is hard to remove without breaking not even sure how myself but would be a better spot.
Old 09-15-15, 03:12 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

I was talking about the L piece. I appreciate it. You just popped it off with a screwdriver?
Old 09-15-15, 03:14 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

It's going to be a temp gauge for water, so it's not super important for me to see at all times, just enough for me to glance over once in a while. Plus it has a warning feature so I'll definitely know when to look if something goes wrong.
Old 09-15-15, 06:59 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just pull on the piece...it pops off pretty easily....
Old 09-16-15, 04:45 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine drives me crazy hiding behind my turn signal stalk......
Attached Thumbnails Gauge placement/interior question-voltmeter-copy.jpeg  
Old 09-16-15, 10:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lucky you wont need to look at it that much with the turbo ecu.
GE ecu you would need to keep an eye on it whenever you boost.

I am pretty happy with using the left center vent on mine. lots of dremeling...
video from last year in dark

brighter vid/closeup from last year

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-16-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 12:37 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heres my spot

Old 09-16-15, 01:22 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Here is how I did mine...

Name:  20140501_1324161_zpsb2bc8333.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  20140501_1335441_zpsfbc5bd5d.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  20141023_1848321_zps7cc20ad9.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  38.9 KB
Old 09-16-15, 01:49 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
heres my spot

What pods are you using?
Old 09-16-15, 02:18 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

copy this to google

2 Inch 52MM Universal Single Side Swivel Mount Gauge Holder Pod with Base Cradle Bracket For Car Auto Boat
Old 09-16-15, 02:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

both look really good, I just got tired of extra attention from the man when on the pillar but was the best spot to see them.
Mikef check out the regional section this week.

CatManD3W do those get in the way of the auto tilt steering wheel? if not I think that is a really good one.
Old 09-17-15, 07:31 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
both look really good, I just got tired of extra attention from the man when on the pillar but was the best spot to see them.
Mikef check out the regional section this week.

CatManD3W do those get in the way of the auto tilt steering wheel? if not I think that is a really good one.
I still have full movement of the steering wheel for tilt purposes....but I never use the auto tilt feature anyways
Old 09-17-15, 10:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its my fav feature, even when it kills my battery in the winter =)
Old 09-18-15, 04:34 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
lucky you wont need to look at it that much with the turbo ecu.
GE ecu you would need to keep an eye on it whenever you boost.

I am pretty happy with using the left center vent on mine. lots of dremeling...
video from last year in dark
Luckily, that is just the volt gauge in my 400. I went with 2 pillar and 1 on dash and SAFC in usual spot on the 300.

The third pillar pod did not work out for some reason so we put it on the dash.

Alisc3 spot is great as well!
Attached Thumbnails Gauge placement/interior question-imagejpeg_0-7.jpg   Gauge placement/interior question-imagejpeg_2-1.jpg   Gauge placement/interior question-20150819_000031.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Gauge placement/interior question