Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

debating on which sc to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 04:19 AM
GreatWade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default debating on which sc to buy

Now I've done a little research on sc's (gorgeous cars) and I'm thinking about buying a lexus sc300. I always wanted a sc400 for the v8 but the only one I wanted would be 98-up mainly for the power output but pricey. I know 300's came with 225 hp and around 210 torque pretty much there whole existence with the 2jz unlike the uz engine. Like I said, I've done only a little research but I'm assuming that the 2jz would be cheaper to go to a gtte and other upgrades without going into the engine than doing the same with the uz. I know a decent amount on 2jz's but I really don't know much on the uz. I know they're both strong engines but don't know if uz can handle as much as the 2jz. One more thing I would like to know is the variable valve timing (vvt) setup on 98-up models, is there a difference with say going to a gtte or just trying to gain power on either engine as opposed to the models before without vvt.

Last edited by GreatWade; 07-02-15 at 06:18 AM. Reason: adding on
Old 07-02-15, 06:24 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the price of a 92-95 SC300 + 2jzgTe swap, just buy a 98+ SC400 and be done with it.
Old 12-28-15, 09:29 AM
GreatWade
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, i did just that and bought a beautiful pearl white 98 sc400. I am very excited ��
Old 12-29-15, 12:36 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatWade
Now I've done a little research on sc's (gorgeous cars) and I'm thinking about buying a lexus sc300. I always wanted a sc400 for the v8 but the only one I wanted would be 98-up mainly for the power output but pricey. I know 300's came with 225 hp and around 210 torque pretty much there whole existence with the 2jz unlike the uz engine. Like I said, I've done only a little research but I'm assuming that the 2jz would be cheaper to go to a gtte and other upgrades without going into the engine than doing the same with the uz. I know a decent amount on 2jz's but I really don't know much on the uz. I know they're both strong engines but don't know if uz can handle as much as the 2jz. One more thing I would like to know is the variable valve timing (vvt) setup on 98-up models, is there a difference with say going to a gtte or just trying to gain power on either engine as opposed to the models before without vvt.
I did not see this a while back. Congratulations on your purchase! You will have a lot of fun with your 98 400. It's pretty rare. There are plenty of things you can do to tighten up your car around the stock 290hp/300tq V8.

For the sake of your earlier questions, cost for cost if you weren't looking for much more power than your 1998 SC400 has from the factory you made a great choice. The VVT and other revisions in that revision of the 1UZ are very reliable.

To build that 1UZ-FE VVT-i in your car for more power, however, will get VERY expensive very fast. More needs to be done to help it support fully custom and uncommon turbo setups. Supercharger setups have been developed for the earlier non-VVT 1UZ's mostly in Australia but it's still not a common thing. The earlier 1UZ's actually have much thicker rods than the 98-00 1UZ's despite the big power bump. 1UZ VVT rods have thin rods-- not a problem for the stock output for years and years but they likely need to be upgraded for boost.

A 2JZ-GTE, both the earlier non-VVT and later VVT-i versions (those engines only came in Japan but they have been imported for years) will make far more power very easily. Even a 1JZGTE takes to big power increases very easily compared to a 1UZ. And there is plenty of documentation to prove the same potential in 2JZ-GE NA-T conversions. That inline six engine family was just designed from the ground up to take boost.

That doesn't mean no one has built their 1UZ for added power with some boost. Several have and there are a few boosted 1UZ build threads here. It's just harder and more expensive and custom to do so with less widespread aftermarket support... compared to the JZ engines.

All that said, many people enjoy their V8's (early or VVT-i) as is, some convert to 5-speed manual (doable in yours but a bit more tedious and probably requiring a beefier transmission than a W58 due to the near 300hp) and compared to a stock non-turbo 2JZ-GE a stock 1UZ is a better all-rounder. The 98+ 1UZ VVT-i even more so. They're great engines. Even in 1998+ LS400's which have much more weight they're great, powerful V8 engines.

You've already made a great decision but I hope this belatedly helps answer your earlier queries

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-29-15 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 11:42 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

I'll also go and say don't worry about the 1uz not being able to hold power, both the 2jz and the 1uz are very very overengineered engines capable of some absurd numbers. Sure the VVT might have weaker rods but it's all stuff you can get easily (I believe you can just buy a pre-95 1uz and literally swap the rods but I've never gotten to mess with a VVT so.. but if you're going that far you might want to look into aftermarket rods). Like the post above me said, modifications are where this engine gets expensive, but it is just as capable if not more capable of making power than the 2jz, the only difference being that the 2jz got alot of exposure through F&F and gran turismo and that pretty much set it's future in stone while the 1uz stayed a very niche engine, but if you ask me.. that just makes it funner to work with
Old 01-11-16, 12:42 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you thirst for more power, gte as 1uz dollar for hp isn't worth wasting your money
Old 01-11-16, 12:54 PM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitsune
if you thirst for more power, gte as 1uz dollar for hp isn't worth wasting your money
He already bought a '98 sc400, so I don't know if that's still an option unless he's buying both and hey, why not!