Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to secure rod to the door lock actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 08:50 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to secure rod to the door lock actuator?

So I bought a used driver-side door lock actuator from a member here named Aliga after I discovered that the rod was missing from the actuator that's currently in the driver-side door of my SC. When I examined the actuator rod, it was about to break into two pieces at the usual breakage point, pic below.

I put a slight pressure towards the rod and it broke! Glad I didn't just slap this in the door w/o examining it.

Searching the forum turned up this thead. My only questions is, how to secure the new piece that was JB Welded and screwed onto the rod? See pic below. Does the flat end of the rod just slide into the "hamburger"? How do you keep the rod from pulling out of the actuator?

Old 04-30-15, 03:33 PM
ems
Lead Lap

i have zip ties around both poles on the middle part, (not tight just as a guide) and door works better than the other side.
Old 04-30-15, 10:37 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Sorry but I'm having a hard time visualizing what you did. Did you put a zip tie around both rods? What was the zip tie suppose to do?
Old 05-01-15, 06:46 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by dricacho
So I bought a used driver-side door lock actuator from a member here named Aliga after I discovered that the rod was missing from the actuator that's currently in the driver-side door of my SC. When I examined the actuator rod, it was about to break into two pieces at the usual breakage point, pic below.

I put a slight pressure towards the rod and it broke! Glad I didn't just slap this in the door w/o examining it.

Searching the forum turned up this thead. My only questions is, how to secure the new piece that was JB Welded and screwed onto the rod? See pic below. Does the flat end of the rod just slide into the "hamburger"? How do you keep the rod from pulling out of the actuator?

The replacement piece you are talking about is open on the bottom. So it will slide on to the hamburger piece. It was made long enough to not come off. Read the whole thread on that, he shows how to make and how it goes.
Old 05-01-15, 07:20 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Above where the bends are there are two rods running parallel to each other. By tying the two rods together the fork will seat and not skip out of position. I have some pics, unfortunately I'm out on the road till Monday, and will post some then. But there is a diy somewhere on here that has it.
Old 05-01-15, 09:32 AM
dricacho
Rookie

That's what I was thinking but wasn't really sure about it. I did read the entire thread and examined the photos. I took the photo of the replacement piece and it's measurements and gave it to a guy at work. He's making a piece for me right now in our machine shop using the specifications on that photo.

Originally Posted by TokinSC400
The replacement piece you are talking about is open on the bottom. So it will slide on to the hamburger piece. It was made long enough to not come off. Read the whole thread on that, he shows how to make and how it goes.
EMS thanks!!!

Originally Posted by ems
Above where the bends are there are two rods running parallel to each other. By tying the two rods together the fork will seat and not skip out of position. I have some pics, unfortunately I'm out on the road till Monday, and will post some then. But there is a diy somewhere on here that has it.
Old 05-01-15, 05:28 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hey bud, i didnt realize it would break, pm me so i can make it right, thanks.
Old 05-02-15, 04:43 PM
dricacho
Rookie

So a guy at work made this piece for me, I had him make it a few mm longer. Then I had that piece welded to the rod. It came out better than I thought. Sorry I didn't take a photo of the final product. The driver side door opens from the outside door handle now!! On to the next issue with this car.