Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

poor running

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 06:56 PM
yauny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor running

Hello first time posting on here and could really use some help. I just bought a 96 sc400 with roughly 150k on it. I have a mechanic buddy that is helping me fix it up but only on spare time which we dont have much. Im able to drive it but it is no where near its full potential and thats what i want out of it all it can give. First off when i bought it i knew it has some misses which i believe i have fixed with new injector connectors, and spark plugs. I deleted the cats. I have also replaced one of the cam sensors. I had autozone test the check engine light which is always on due to cat deletion but they came back with a bad cam sensor in bay 1 which im assuming is drivers side due to already replacing the passenger side but im unsure and cant find the answer anywhere. This is part of my question which side is bay1/bay2. Second the car will not go over 60 mph and when it hits 60 itll start to buck like crazy so i have to let off which also brings me to it not wanting to rev over 3k while in gear it will rev over that in park. Also while driving at speed limit speed and lightly pressing on the accelerator it jerks like its not getting enough fuel. This is the first car ive worked on personally and i want to get into cars but this is frustrating the crap out of me.

So in conclusion what i am asking is what would cause my car to be drivable at minimal speeds and not go over 60 mphs and not go over 3k rpms and really run horribly. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-15, 11:45 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

check the ECU for leaking capacitors, that's where i'd start. it's underneath the passenger carpet. pull the carbet back, then loosen the 2 10mm bolts holding down the false floor, unplug the ECU on the left and open it up, check for leaking capacitors, if you have em, have the ECU rebuilt or get another one from a junkyard or someone selling one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...apacitors.html
Old 04-19-15, 06:46 AM
yauny
Rookie

Default replaced

Ok so I found 2 leaked capacitors replaced them and it work great the rest of the day woke up next morning and started it up to find out its running rough again check engine light on immediately. Assuming its cam sensor on driver side sounds like they're missing again. Is that a good assumption or should I look toward something else? Thanks for anymore help
Old 04-19-15, 07:35 AM
yauny
Rookie

Also when inspecting the ecu one of the leaking caps were connected wrong positive to neg and neg to pos would that give me an issue once fixed the proper way or could that one cap ruin the entire ecu. And the green gel on the board was coming off also is that a big issue or nothing too serious. Thanks again