Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pick request -Mishimoto radiator install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 10:22 AM
UZinator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick request -Mishimoto radiator install

I am installing a Mishimoto 3-row radiator (Supra Piece) into my SC400. I have found a few problems with the install that are somewhat easy to get around -but the largest problem I am having is the hold down brackets at the top. Obviously something custom is required.

I would like to see some pics of the brackets or modifications others have done for these hold-down brackets. If nobody else has done this -I guess I will post photos when I get something made up.

Other than the brackets -the only other semi-hard obstacle was the rubber grommet spacing at the bottom. The distance between the pegs for the Supra piece is about 1/2" shorter. So I filed out the rubber grommet ID to form an oblong hole. Then the radiator slipped right in.

And since the Supra piece doesn't have an internal trans cooler -I am remote mounting one with an electric fan and temperature activated switch.

Please post up pics -and if none -I guess I will post up when I have finished.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-15, 12:23 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a buddy of mine "nkumar92" has this radiator installed and he told me he had to do something with the brackets as well. You can try PM'ing him and see if he'll give you some advise or send you some pics.
Old 03-09-15, 04:39 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with the stock brackets, is that they sit about 1/2" too high. My solution was as simple as placing the radiator in, bolting down the brackets, and some light persuasion with a rubber mallet until they were seated properly.

I would post a picture, but I have since moved my radiator toward the front of the car about 2.5". I still use the factory brackets, but have moved the mounting position.
Old 03-09-15, 11:10 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the same radiator in my SC. I didn't do anything with the brackets even though they are a bit high. My radiator is still sturdy and doesn't move or wobble. I also installed a external tranny cooler.

What shroud are you using? I was able to use a Supra shroud in mine.
Old 03-10-15, 10:27 AM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luxor
I have the same radiator in my SC. I didn't do anything with the brackets even though they are a bit high. My radiator is still sturdy and doesn't move or wobble. I also installed a external tranny cooler.

What shroud are you using? I was able to use a Supra shroud in mine.
I am using the stock shroud with hydraulic fan for now. The bottom two metal shroud brackets lined up perfectly with the bosses on the radiator and the upper drivers side needed some coaxing with a large crescent wrench. The upper passenger side required a small notch through the shroud and a large area washer to pull it up tight. I have ordered dual electric fans for a later upgrade.

I wonder why my brackets are so far off and others have said they fit. If I put mine on the brackets that are welded to the frame -there is about an inch gap between the rubber pads and the radiator. I think I found a fix though. I picked up a spare set of brakets and have cut everything below the upper part with the rubber pads away. I am planning on gluing these into the original brackets with some JB-Weld. I think this will take up the extra space just fine.

Last edited by UZinator; 03-10-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:15 AM
UZinator
Rookie

I took a few photos of the progress so far. Sorry if it isn't show quality -but it is just the "low-down-dirty" to get the job done and help the engine to run cooler -and thus longer. Later -if I end up installing a Paxton SC -then there will be time to make it pretty.

I also installed a 170 deg Stant thermostat. I am hoping these to things will significantly increase the longevity (even though it is already better then many others).

I used standard aluminum pop-rivits and then after they are set -I smash them flatter with a punch and backed on my vice anvil.

In this photo -you can see my stack of washers that goes over the boss and the cutout in the shroud so that I could pull it up tight on this side.

In this one -this is where i had to "persuade" one of the brackets a little to get it to line up. I twisted the bracket with a crescent until it lined up more and then poked a new hole.

Last edited by UZinator; 03-14-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 08:24 AM
UZinator
Rookie

Default More progress pics

A little more cleanup on the brackets:

A little rust inhibitor:

The bracket for the overflow tank and power steering resevoir needs to be shifted back by about a half inch and so the first step is to roll the lip on the side to shift the bolt holes to so there will be room for the bolt washers:

Re-drill the holes to a 1/2" offset:

Rust inhibitor:

Install:

Last edited by UZinator; 03-15-15 at 08:27 AM.