Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

High idle after radiator install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 12:07 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle after radiator install

So I replaced radiator with a junkyard unit that was all metal. Had some minor issues but despite the snow and cold I got it on.

Problem came when I went to start it. It went up in idle all the way to 1800rpms and sits there. This car has never idled high (in fact it sometimes too low). I took it around the block got it nice and warm and it still idles at 1800rpms.

I checked to see if I knocked a vacuum line or something but nothing caught my eye. The only thing I changed was I plugged 1/4" hose that is next to (or under) the thermostat l, that used to be connected to bottom of factory resovoir. This radiator has a cap unlike stock one. Also the temp sensor on bottom gave me a hard time, could that be the issue?

Idk guys I've googled and googled with no luck on this one. Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Shawn
Old 03-07-15, 12:13 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream36
So I replaced radiator with a junkyard unit that was all metal. Had some minor issues but despite the snow and cold I got it on.

Problem came when I went to start it. It went up in idle all the way to 1800rpms and sits there. This car has never idled high (in fact it sometimes too low). I took it around the block got it nice and warm and it still idles at 1800rpms.

I checked to see if I knocked a vacuum line or something but nothing caught my eye. The only thing I changed was I plugged 1/4" hose that is next to (or under) the thermostat l, that used to be connected to bottom of factory resovoir. This radiator has a cap unlike stock one. Also the temp sensor on bottom gave me a hard time, could that be the issue?

Idk guys I've googled and googled with no luck on this one. Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Shawn
Thermostat? Are you sure you got all the air out? If no coolant touches the sensor, the computer doesn't know the engine is warm. Are both large hoses getting hot? Did you have the heat on max when refilling? Short of some vacuum hose or connector getting knocked of, or a coincidental sensor failure, idk either. Weird.
Old 03-13-15, 10:07 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the advise. I am posting to help a future search since I figured it out. Yes I feel like a complete idiot tho.

I didn't burb the system properly. I haven't had heat in so long I forgot to turn heater on. Once I did that it opened up about a quart of space for fluid. Also, I had inadvertently busted the hose on front of the intake manifold. It's the hose that originally goes to power steering (I removed the vacuum assist two years ago with the how-too on sister central).

I believe it was a combination of both factors. Once I started it up again no more problem. Car still runs like crap but at least it doesn't spray coolant all over anymore
Thank you club lexus
-shawn