Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about a Big exhaust leak and Little Oil leak. And a box for my Air intake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 01:27 AM
Naughtlol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a Big exhaust leak and Little Oil leak. And a box for my Air intake.

Finally able to change the oil today after getting my SC400 a week ago. It's a 1997 that I bought last week. Since then I've found out that my exhaust is a decent amount louder than stock. I wasn't sure until i bought some LS400 brakes off a guy and he asked what I had done to it(the exhaust). I've done nothing and he confirmed that they are not suppose to be that loud. Normally I wouldn't care but I'm pretty sure there's an exhaust leak at the same time and my question is if there is any common spot for an exhaust leak to occur. When I was changing the oil I did a quick visual inspection of the exhaust and it is stock but I could see nothing where the leak could be coming from. Any common areas where this could occur? Symtoms are the louder than average exhaust and a very heavy exhaust smell if I have the windows down and am sitting in place with the windows down. And this is almost immediately after I stop so it's not coming from the rear and making its way forward in this time. I can also sometimes smell it in the cab with the windows up but not always.

Another question is do you guys know anything that the previous owner's son(a teenager) could have done to make it louder without doing anything major. I don't think it's louder from the possible exhaust leak. I think it's something the kid did. I've found where he's messed with other things on the car(thankfully nothing major) so I'd guess he'd do something like this. He also replaced stock intake with a K&N intake. But he didn't close in what would have been the airbox wall on the drivers left side. He also removed and didn't put back the undercarriage engine bay cover. So I'd be really ****ed if I had hit a water puddle. Luckily I'm not an idiot and don't go through them. So where would be the easiest place to get a replacement undercarriage cover that covers up the bottom of the engine bay?

Last question is small oil leak. Just got the car so not sure how bad it is for sure but while changing oil I noticed a few drops just under the oil filter on the hoses that run underneath it. In addition looked up and there's is definitely some oil leakage from what I think is the oil pump. Not for sure where it is but it's something that runs off the serpentine belt more towards the passenger side. Anything common to this that I should look into before I go more in depth? Think these are all the questions I have for now, so far you guys have been great so hopefully you don't mind these.