Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Spinning wheels on dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 05:50 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spinning wheels on dyno

Hi everyone need some help please...
My sc300 is being Dyno at a shop and after 530whp the wheels spin on the Dyno and he cannot grip on the rollers to map on the computer, because of this they cannot get the true who of the sc300.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so could you please share what was done to correct the spinning the tires on the dyno?

I'm really disappointed this is happening.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-15, 06:48 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put 2 decently heavy bodies in the trunk, that will do it.

Old 02-15-15, 07:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

For that power level to have wheel / tires spinning , then the kind and size of tires are not the optimal one. What kind and size are your tires ?
Old 02-15-15, 07:21 AM
acacg
Driver

are you going to drifting it or street/drag?
Old 02-15-15, 02:28 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by acacg
are you going to drifting it or street/drag?
No drifting as of yet, but will be taking it to the track.

Originally Posted by gerrb
For that power level to have wheel / tires spinning , then the kind and size of tires are not the optimal one. What kind and size are your tires ?
Hi Gerrb, the current tire size in the rear is 245/40R18.

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Put 2 decently heavy bodies in the trunk, that will do it

SP Built ProEFI 94mm 1600+whp 2JZ 240SX DYNO - YouTube
This video is really cool and funny, but seems to work thank you I will tell the shop to put to bodies in the trunk.

Thank you

Last edited by Idlefree; 02-15-15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 05:58 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

HiPSI, thats the same dude who dynoed my car at SP
Old 02-15-15, 05:59 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah when we have wheel spin on our dyno we get a couple big guys to sit in the trunk usually helps .. If you don't have people to sit there you could always load the trunk with bags of salt
Old 02-16-15, 03:03 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Having people or weights on the trunk help keep the rear on dyno drums thus preventing wheel spin but not the right way in doing things in my opinion for that power level. I would understand if you are making above 800rwhp already .

Why ? You are not driving that car on the streets with people or always have something on the trunk . You will endanger yourself and others on the street if you can't control that car on the streets with your wheels spinning.

Get wider tires like with more meat and better brand/model like drag radials when you can. Power that you cannot put down on the street/road is useless . Having the right combination of wheel size, tire size and model will be your secret.
Old 02-16-15, 05:38 AM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made 726 whp. Did fine on the dyno, get some toyo r888's.
Old 02-16-15, 05:58 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Funnyman
Yeah when we have wheel spin on our dyno we get a couple big guys to sit in the trunk usually helps .. If you don't have people to sit there you could always load the trunk with bags of salt
Thanks funny man, The shop did place to guys in the truck and got it up up to 600whp, and the wheels start to spin on the dyno at about 610whp. The salt idea is really good will as the shop to try.
The shop has indicated it is also because it is cold, do you think this would make a difference.

Having people or weights on the trunk help keep the rear on dyno drums thus preventing wheel spin but not the right way in doing things in my opinion for that power level. I would understand if you are making above 800rwhp already .

Why ? You are not driving that car on the streets with people or always have something on the trunk . You will endanger yourself and others on the street if you can't control that car on the streets with your wheels spinning.

Get wider tires like with more meat and better brand/model like drag radials when you can. Power that you cannot put down on the street/road is useless . Having the right combination of wheel size, tire size and model will be your secret.
1.Hey gerrb, the shop had two guys in the trunk, and 4 straps holding the car down. I do agree put two guys in the trunk isn't a great idea as it could be dangerous, funnyman had a great idea bags of salt or anything heavy.

2. The car will be programmed with 2 mappings, one for street driving and another for the track.

3. I believe you are right, I have to get wider tires and the right combination and or the right brand as well of tires, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks gerrb, apprieated

Originally Posted by dsouth
I made 726 whp. Did fine on the dyno, get some toyo r888's.
Thank dsouth, I will look into the r888's from toyo tires, what size tires are you using?
Old 02-16-15, 06:25 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Wheel spin on they dyno won't be the same as wheel spin on the street.. A dyno isn't a direct representation of street driving it's just a free rolling drum, however if its a dynojet you can load the roller to simulate driving on the street.
Old 02-16-15, 06:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Having guys seat on the trunk and / or heavy weights/stuff on the trunk is really the only way shops/tuners can resort on when making well over 1000rwhp . Slick tires than can hold power to the ground are not permitted on dyno's because pieces or chunks/debris from the tires can mess up the dyno so tuners resort to weight in the trunk.

As for size, the wider you can fit and the more meat better. 275 will be good but wider better. If you look at high hp cars, they try to stufff in 325 or 295 at least in there. So choosing the right wheel with the right offset is the key. To have better meat on tires people go with 15" or 16" wheels but the biggest wheel size for me to have good meat on the rubber is 18" . When you go 19" wheel or bigger... you need to go low profile tires which are not really a good combination for high hp cars.

On the streets, speaking of my experience as dsouth mentioned R888 are good , I probably missed it , what ECU are you using ?
Old 02-16-15, 06:27 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

But yes bigger wider tires should do the trick and yes being cold can also make wheel spin. Try heating up the dyno room or the roller itself and keeping the car inside prior to the dyno session
Old 02-16-15, 09:03 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Wheel spin on they dyno won't be the same as wheel spin on the street.. A dyno isn't a direct representation of street driving it's just a free rolling drum, however if its a dynojet you can load the roller to simulate driving on the street.
Thanks for the info Funnyman..

Having guys seat on the trunk and / or heavy weights/stuff on the trunk is really the only way shops/tuners can resort on when making well over 1000rwhp . Slick tires than can hold power to the ground are not permitted on dyno's because pieces or chunks/debris from the tires can mess up the dyno so tuners resort to weight in the trunk.

As for size, the wider you can fit and the more meat better. 275 will be good but wider better. If you look at high hp cars, they try to stufff in 325 or 295 at least in there. So choosing the right wheel with the right offset is the key. To have better meat on tires people go with 15" or 16" wheels but the biggest wheel size for me to have good meat on the rubber is 18" . When you go 19" wheel or bigger... you need to go low profile tires which are not really a good combination for high hp cars.

On the streets, speaking of my experience as dsouth mentioned R888 are good , I probably missed it , what ECU are you using ?
1. Thanks Gerrb, I have no choice but going with 18" tires because of the big breaks, I will take your advise and dsouth and look at the R888 toyo with 275 or great diameter, I agree 19" would be very low profile for the track.

2. The ECU is an AEM ser 2

But yes bigger wider tires should do the trick and yes being cold can also make wheel spin. Try heating up the dyno room or the roller itself and keeping the car inside prior to the dyno session
The car has been in the shop, but because it has been so cold in New York it is hard for the shop to get it hot enough. I will ask him about heating up the rollers.

Thanks for the advise and help greatly appreciated

Old 02-16-15, 11:36 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Also it isn't optimal to run a dyno under 30* so you may need to wait till it gets warmer. My dyno room is heated and will get pretty warm while running cars on it just be sure to open the door enough to let the exhaust out and keep the doors closed to prevent all the heat out between runs

Quick Reply: Spinning wheels on dyno