Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 W58 Shifter Issue (Not bad bushing or green ring)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 10:51 PM
chowda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 W58 Shifter Issue (Not bad bushing or green ring)

Hi Everyone,

I just recently converted my 92 SC400 to manual using a 93 SC300 W58.

I've had a few issues and the main one has been solved but one of the other two lies in the shifter.

Before I swapped the W58 in, I got new gaskets for the gooseneck shifter, new white bushing at the bottom of the shifter, and green bushing ring for the shifter base.

I mocked up the shifter with all the new parts and they worked fine with little play; they even worked fine for a while once I put them in.

However, through testing and trying to fix my stalling and speedo issue, the shifter began to have this strange slop to it.

The trans still works absolutely fine and there is no popping out of gear.

BUT.....when I put the shifter in 1st and 5th, the spring will bring it back and make it look like it is in 3rd gear.

If I shift into 2nd or Reverse, the shifter will naturally spring back and look like it's in the 4th gear position.

3rd gear gate is a bit hard to find and 4th is flawless....no functionality issue with gears.

Does anybody havve any idea as to why my w58 started doing this?
Did I break a detent spring or something?
I hope I don't have to pull the trans for this but I haven't found anybody with this issue.

Thanks for all the help.

Marvin