Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Guys running e85 please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 10:44 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys running e85 please chime in

I am planning to run E85 on my sc using an AEM v1. I am doing this because I think I would rather do this than swap the headgasket to run more boost as I hear it is a huge PITA if you haven't done it before, and I assume at least $1200 for a shop to do it. Not only that but it seems to be safer route to take anyway. Being that the V1 does not have flex fuel capability, I will be ONLY running e85.

My question to you guys running it is what upgrades you guys did to your fuel system?

Can I get away with using the Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump as a single pump if my plans are to only make ~400whp? Who makes E85 injectors that would suit my power needs that I can drop into my NA-T? I am still using the stock OBD2 lower runners so the injector seats are different than the obd1 runners. Did you guys use the stock fuel lines? How about the fuel filter?

The search function yielded results with people with hp goals much higher than mine, so I feel they aren't super relevant to me.

Any insight you can share would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by BuffNStuff; 12-15-14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 08:17 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The HG swap is really not that difficult but I can understand wanting to avoid it. However if it's the stock original gasket you may run into issues with it going out on you and then you have to replace it anyway.

If E85 is readily available to you then this is absolutely what you should be running (Unless it is a daily then mpg will suffer quite a bit).

The problem with AEM V1 is that there is no way to compensate for the % of ethanol in the tank at that given moment. I believe in the V2 series they have finally launched a software update that gives more e85 tunability but the only real system that can adjust timing and boost based on failsafe triggers and e85 % is proefi.

With that said though, if you are shooting for only a solid 400-450whp then pump gas can do this for you let alone e85. If tuned conservatively on AEM V1 you should be able to run e85 and make that power safely assuming the gas ethanol % stays the same from pump to pump.

The problem with E85 is that the blend % changes depending on the temperature / season / and even gas station so you just have to be careful. In the winter the e85 gas stations switch to a E70 or 60-65% ethanol mix due to the cold temperatures. You can mess things up quick assuming your running a solid 85% ethanol with a tune that has the timing ramped up and boost ramped up for 85% ethanol and only have 65% ethanol in the tank.

The aeromotive should be fine for 400whp, the stock lines are metal for the most part until you get to the engine bay there are a couple of rubber pieces that could probably use a replacement if brittle.

When switching to e85 the ethanol will have a cleansing affect on the 20 year old grimey gas tank. This will cause all that sludge to pull off the walls of the tank into the fuel and into your filter or injectors / fuel pressure regulator. The best thing to do is to switch your fuel filter and fuel pump sock out within the first couple tanks of fuel, or leave the stock stuff in there to collect any grime and then switch filters / injectors / socks.

I'm not sure about the obdII runners but I'm sure a OBD I runner could be picked up cheap which opens up a wide variety of bolt in options.

The closest E85 station is a solid hour from me which sucks I would of fully switched to E85 long time ago.

EDIT:

My question is e85 with the ARISTO / JDM ecu mod, and tuning the car on e85. From my research e85 demands appx 25-30% more fuel for the same combustion A/F. Since the aristo / jdm ecu is tuned for 440's, would by upgrading to 550-600cc injectors perfectly line the fuel map back up or close to what the ecu is looking for with gas? What I'm thinking is that by switching to e85 and using 550cc injectors you could in theory not have to pull any fuel out since 550's are exactly 25% more fuel. You would of course want to reset the ecu and let it learn on e85 but I'd be willing to bet it'd run great aside for some parts of part throttle / cruise might be slightly off from the differences in properties of gas vs ethanol.

Last edited by HiPSI; 12-16-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 10:12 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

BuffNstuff, you can make that power easily on pump gas. I made 430 on 17psi on AZ 91 pump on my 1JZ.. figured I'd throw that out there just to clarify that your goals are easily attainable on pump

Now if you are dead set on running e85 only than buy a walbro 485, ID1000's, FORE e85 fuel filter and some e85 compatible line. Sucks that the AEM isn't capable of flex fuel as I love having the flex fuel option. One of the best mods I've done for sure.

On another note... Let's meet up sometime at the pavs.

Last edited by Knuckleup; 12-16-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 02:37 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

I know I can make my power goals on pump gas, but If I can avoid swapping the head gasket, while keeping my high compression and quick response + another 8-9 psi I can safely run, Im all for that. I have an E85 pump 5 miles away and this is not my only car. From what my buddy (who runs E85) says, in AZ the ethanol content is pretty consistent because it doesn't get very cold here during the winter. The engine has only 58xxx miles on it so I think the HG should hold pretty well for a while.

However, I will listen to your guys' advice and just swap the HG if you still think that is the best route in my situation.

I live down in Tucson so the Pavs are a little too far man. lol
Old 12-16-14, 02:57 PM
Knuckleup
Driver

With having an e85 pump really close and it not being your daily, just bite the bullet and go e85. All the benefits are there with no real downsides. I generally see 73% ethanol from the pumps here.

Let me know if you need any of the parts I listed to get. You can PM me.

Some of the Tucson guys come up for the AZsupracentral meets. You should cruise up for one of our meets. Also join the forum if you want more people to chat with. Theres a few of us on there with SC's.
Old 12-17-14, 02:52 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly, no need to run e85 at that level. Use a skilled and knowledgeable tuner and tune on pump..I'm at 600rwhp @only 19psi with a PT 6776 turbo and been there for over 4 yrs tuned on aem v1 tuned by alpha from induction performance In Tampa fl
Yes I have tt head gasket, but 600fwhp Isa far cry from 450 so stock cr is fine as long as tuner Is running correct timing .

My head is built and I'm cammed but still on original bottom end ,been boosted since 2007 134k currently on block with almost perfect compression
Old 12-17-14, 08:30 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

I think he would rather not change the headgasket Lex. At least that is what I gathered. Higher compression and E85 is always a good mix in my book lol.

Either way buffnstuff, you won't have a hard time making 400whp at all.

Lex did you go to FL2K?
Old 12-17-14, 11:21 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

E85 and never look back..

Don't change the HG, get some fuel lines for the feed and keep the stock return if you want.. but do it one and be done with it.

I ran an AEM V1, 160k miles engine ,never been open, only pull the valve covers to replace the valve cover gasket.
I decided to not replace the HG and just ran E85 and this was the best move I have ever made!!!
ID1000, Dual bosch 044 pumps, 66mm Turbo, Stock Fuel rail, -10An feed and -6return and it makes 700hp without trying at 24psi, 641 at 21psi on stock cams 160k miles engine .

That HG will never give you issues no matter how many miles are on the engine unless it was already blown or your tuner doesn't do a great Job.

I ran Ethanol the whole year and it never detonated, 66% ethanol will make 1100hp so I really wouldn't worry about the ethanol content too much.

If this is not your Only car, then there is no reason not to run e85.. I will never run pump gas unless I get stranded which I don't think will ever happen!

I ran as much as 28 psi and Ive never had any issues, its all in the tune.

Do it man!! You will love it, I was one of the first guys that did it on stock ge 10.1 on E85, I only know one person that has done it before me and he didn't push it past 4XXwhp.

By some FIC 900/1100 or ID1000, Weldon regulator, Aeromotive should work but ive seen where they overheat so I either run Walbro 485 or Bosch 044, I like Walbro better because they are quiet!
20micron SS filter before the rail and remove your gas tank and clean it up ..then find a tuner.

If you have any questions , Pm me I will be more than happy to tell you what to do.
Old 12-17-14, 04:10 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Excellent information guys!

Holy cow! $720 for a set of the FIC900 injectors. Ouch. How much did you end up spending on your fuel system? Your post has made me excited for what is to come!
Old 12-17-14, 05:53 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

I have read in multiple forums across a few different car platforms that people have used regular gasoline injectors without corrosion issue as long as they used a good fuel filter like 10 micron or smaller. What is your opinion on this?

What exactly did you do to modify your fuel lines? I have never built a fuel system before so I am not sure what is involved. Did you switch to aluminum hardlines, or to PTFE lines? I have swapped fuel pumps and injectors before but everything in between those two parts, I have never modified.

I put together a little parts list to see what you guys think. I plan to make 4xx whp so I think the injector size should be fine even considering the +~30% fuel flow for e85.

1. AEM 320 e85 fuel pump. $102

2. Aeromotive A1000 Series Injected Bypass FPR $160

3. Siemens Deka 840cc Injectors $445

4. Fuel Labs 6 Micron E85 Fuel Filter, AN-8 $125
Old 12-17-14, 09:01 PM
Knuckleup
Driver

Have to pay to play man. Id avoid some of the parts you listed for sure. If you want to do it once and do it right, my advice is the following.

ID1000's
2 bosch 044 or walbro 485 pumps
FORE e85 filter
E85 compatible push lock hose from redhorse
Fuel lab mini regulator

This is a scenario where you definitely get what you pay for

Last edited by Knuckleup; 12-17-14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 05:38 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No aem pump

No aeromotive fpr

Like I said id1000 or fic is the only injectors I would run ..if you want a nice street car.

I run FIC 2150 and they cost $1100, got about $2XXX in the fuel System.

Not saying the Siemens Deka/ Precision/Bosch/Rochester will not work.. And whatever you do do not buy 800cc Injectors to run E85 on 2jz, on a V8 setup you may get away with with but on 4/6 cylinder it's not worth it , 1000 cc and be done with it.

Fuel system is something you do once and be done with it, or because you ran out of fuel or you pump takes a **** and that's another reason I sway away from aem fuel pumps and fpr.

Fuelab or Weldon FPR
Walbro 485 intank
ID1000 or Fic 1100
20micron SS filter (2)
Stock fuel rail and some Teflon fuel lines PTFE lines..I ran regular branded lines before and they worked but they are not recommended...