Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

WTF is this in my tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 03:45 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is this in my tranny???

I recently picked up a clean, unmolested well maintained and fairly low milage 92 5-speed so i decided to do some maintenance including changing the tranny fluid over to redline and installing some marlin crawler bushings because the shifter felt a little vague.

so.... i start removing the shifter and i find this:

My shifter is covered in GUNK, i mean caked in crap. It looked like someone removed it and stuck it in mud and it was everywhere all over the shifter, in the spring, in the socket, down in the tranny...EVERYWHERE!!!

The only thing i can possibly come up with is that the stock bushing had deteriorated but it just seemed like a lot of gunk from one bushing.
Here is what i pulled out... looked more like a black rubber O ring.

There was stuff all down in the tranny also...

I had to use a tiny pick and my finger tips to try to remove as much of the chunks as possible and put them on a rag, they were sort of hard like little rocks or something??

It took me over an hour just to clean all the crap out i possibly could and then i sprayed it with some brake cleaner and flushed it with a quart of ATF and let it drain for an hour before i put the drain plug back in and installed the new fluid and bushings. I must say its a night and day difference now the tranny shifts like butter compared to before but id still like to know what the hell all that gunk was??
Old 12-10-14, 10:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks like dirt and burnt up old oil mixed together. get as much out as possible. sounds like you did the right thing already.