Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator, Sepentine belt or Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 03:38 PM
Sanddwich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Alternator, Sepentine belt or Fuse?

edit: car is sc400 93'

When it started getting cold, the battery light on the dash had started coming on during cold start and coming off once the car reached 2k rpm.

then the battery icon the other night stayed on and when i hit over 1,100 rpm, trac and abs lights turned on and traction control turned off, my radio stopped working and the lights in my car got brighter.

my car runs perfectly fine i just lose abs trac and radio. the battery light stays on and i drove almost an hour like this from new jersey to new york to get home.

i replaced the battery and both terminals, checked the voltage and the battery goes from 12 volts off to around 15 volts charging when the car is on.

the car sounds a bit differently when i turn it off since this happened as well. the car turns off silently rather than i hear my exhaust die off slowly.

not sure what is going on since i am no mechanic and i searched this up but i havent seen anything where someone had the same symptons as me.

if anyone can chime in as soon as possible, id appreciate it. thanks
Old 12-03-14, 01:46 AM
Twojaybee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you change your battery? Any pulley/engine noise (besides what you described?) Does the belt or any pulleys feel loose or have excessive play?

Have you visually inspected your alternator? Make sure you check voltage when the alternator is under load...headlights, radio, & heater all on! Make sure the system is grounded properly, actually just check all your wires to be sure. Make sure the ground/power wires are connected properly and aren't frayed or corroded or loose.

You need to do a lil more testing to narrow it down. A lot of sc4 owners have reported p/s fluid intermittently shorting out the alt (with sc3's a vavle cover leak has been known to do the same thing.)

Last edited by Twojaybee; 12-03-14 at 01:54 AM.