Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No Heat in SC400

Old 11-18-14, 09:02 AM
canman44
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat in SC400

1992 Lexus SC400 with 170k.... Ok guys, winter is pretty much here now so I've finally had a reason to test my heater and sure enough I essentially have no heat. I will get some heat after about 20 minutes of the car running (or maybe I'm just adapting to the cold jk). Anyways, I have to wait until the engine temp reaches its normal operating temperature to even get any heat out of it. The heat that comes out is NOT very warm either, it's mostly lukewarm, probably around 70-75 degrees. I start getting this heat about 2 miles from when I get to work (13 mile total drive). So this is more or less useless to me. Also, when I come to a stop at a light, I lose the heat. So, even if my car has reached normal operating temp and I'm getting my sorry excuse for heat, I lose it as soon as I come to a red light. When I take off again it starts to warm up the air again. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 11-18-14, 09:07 AM
canman44
Rookie

Also, I did a search and came up with some hits, but they seemed to mostly deal with replacing fuses for the AC/Heating selector/controller in the dash. So, since mine seems to be operating just fine, that didn't help me much.

I did see something about routing some hosing around a vacuum actuator to receive heat to the heater at all times though. I don't know much about this though.
Old 11-18-14, 10:04 AM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sound like you need to bleed you cooling system, there could be air trapped in you cooling system hence when you come to a stop a air pocket gets moved around. If that doesnt help mught want to check your thermostat. Gl
Old 11-18-14, 04:57 PM
dalechek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by canman44
Also, I did a search and came up with some hits, but they seemed to mostly deal with replacing fuses for the AC/Heating selector/controller in the dash. So, since mine seems to be operating just fine, that didn't help me much.

I did see something about routing some hosing around a vacuum actuator to receive heat to the heater at all times though. I don't know much about this though.
Check your coolant levels first to see if you are full on coolant, no coolant means no heat. My sc300 had the same issue, it turned out the switch for the actuator wasn't turning on, This issue has been known to happen, in fact it already has a write up on how to do it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-working.html
Old 11-19-14, 05:17 AM
canman44
Rookie

Originally Posted by dalechek
Check your coolant levels first to see if you are full on coolant, no coolant means no heat. My sc300 had the same issue, it turned out the switch for the actuator wasn't turning on, This issue has been known to happen, in fact it already has a write up on how to do it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-working.html
dalechek - What you linked to, was the ONLY thing I could find that was somewhat related to my issue. So you removed the VSV Supply Vacuum Line off of the VSV and attached it directly to the Actuator? Other than this all my fuses are fine.

Sound like you need to bleed you cooling system, there could be air trapped in you cooling system hence when you come to a stop a air pocket gets moved around. If that doesnt help mught want to check your thermostat. Gl
Mekoz - I'll have to double check today on my coolant levels, but last time I looked they were ok. Also, if my system is full, how would you bleed air out of the system? Would I have to bleed the whole system? I've never had to bleed air out of my cooling system before. I'll do a search for this too.
Old 11-19-14, 07:35 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Does it take longer than normal for your engine to reach operating temp? You may have a thermostat that is stuck open. This will cause the heat to not be real warm.
Old 11-19-14, 09:48 AM
canman44
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Does it take longer than normal for your engine to reach operating temp? You may have a thermostat that is stuck open. This will cause the heat to not be real warm.
Good point. That's a pretty quick cheap fix, so I'll try that. That'll give me a chance to flush the system too.
Old 11-21-14, 07:13 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Same issue with my 92. Thermo is good, coolant level is kosher, swapped out the heater control valve and gonna see if that fixes it.
Old 11-21-14, 03:33 PM
canman44
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Same issue with my 92. Thermo is good, coolant level is kosher, swapped out the heater control valve and gonna see if that fixes it.
Just got my thermostat in today, gonna run up to the parts store tomorrow and pick up coolant. Fingers crossed that does the trick for me. Where is the heater control valve? Let me know if that fixes it.
Old 11-21-14, 04:10 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Just got my thermostat in today, gonna run up to the parts store tomorrow and pick up coolant. Fingers crossed that does the trick for me. Where is the heater control valve? Let me know if that fixes it.
Heater control valve is located right in front of the passengers side firewall. Easy access.
Old 11-21-14, 10:03 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy way to test heater control valve is to move the plunger by hand and see if heat comes on in the cabin (may need two people for it) or just hook up a vac hose directly to the plunger vacuum actuator

the way the system works is there is a PWM valve that modulates the vacuum to that plunger, and the more vac it gets the more hot coolant it lets into the heater core in the core.
Old 11-24-14, 08:31 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Well, air took about 20 seconds to get warm so repair was successful.
Originally Posted by estomax
easy way to test heater control valve is to move the plunger by hand and see if heat comes on in the cabin (may need two people for it) or just hook up a vac hose directly to the plunger vacuum actuator

the way the system works is there is a PWM valve that modulates the vacuum to that plunger, and the more vac it gets the more hot coolant it lets into the heater core in the core.
I tried this method on my old valve and it didn't work for me.
Old 11-28-14, 05:21 PM
Powerline
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this goes the same if my Ac is blowing ice cold but no heat? Im gonna have do the above steps. Hopefully it works.LOL
Old 11-28-14, 08:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerline
Will this goes the same if my Ac is blowing ice cold but no heat? Im gonna have do the above steps. Hopefully it works.LOL
Assuming the heater control valve is the problem, it'll likely work.

An easy way to confirm if the HCV is working is to look at the bottom of the actuator from the passenger fender (at fender level) and look at what the rod and pivot arm are doing. Fully extended is max cooling, fully retracted is max heating. I've got pictures of it here. No heat probably means the actuator isn't pulling the rod in to open up the tumbler in the valve and allow coolant through. My problem was the opposite: it wouldn't extend fully, leaving a small passage for the coolant to pass through and heat up the cold air.
Old 11-28-14, 09:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

man my air doesn't even blow lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Heat in SC400