Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 starting issues, so stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 08:34 PM
sparker081
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 starting issues, so stumped

So I'm not too experienced with car mechanics, so it's not surprising that I'm stupmed. I've been through a lot with my girl though but I've always pulled through with yalls threads. An alternator change is the most I've solved and some work in her doors such as actuators. Here's my story.

I'm a good grandaughter, so on a sunny day I went to gripe out my grandfather's eye doctors for losing his files. Then boom, flash flood. My girl who is at 230k, and whom I promised a sunset ride at 300k turned into a boat. My city gave us the choice of an updated college football stadium or updated drainage systems. The geniuses chose an updated stadium. I can't believe I even made it home, my girl is so good.

We were in at least 3 feet of water, and I was flooring it going about 3mph. Once I got into the lesser water she ran fine and got me home. (This makes me think of ECU) So the next day, tried to start her to no avail. My roommates convinced me to jump her, so I did, it worked, but not really. What it really was, was she needed the key to be turned for a good 7-10 seconds, and some foot on the gas before she would start. In these seconds her engine was completely silent, but any sounds could have been drowned out by the accessories I guess. So she would eventually start up, but i swore she sounded like only the driver side cyliders were firing, and like the unloving car mother I am, I drove her doing this for a few days. Got her checked, no water in any of her fluids. She sat for two days, then would not start at all. A couple days before the flood she was throwing a code for an o2 sensor, and after the flood while she was still runnino she threw a 12 for knock sensor or rpm sensor. Genius couldn't tell me which. All of the fuses look good and my starter relay works in my roommates car. I've ripped her apart, all of her spark plugs look great, and the spark plug wires are factory but look immaculate, and all dry. The distributors look beautiful. Out of nowhere one night she loses about 2 quarts from nowhere. All of my reservoirs are full. Still won't start. Air filter looks great too. I'm so lost. What 22 yr old girl wouldn't be. Has anyone had the 7-10 seconds of silence before starting with normal power?? Tried to reset ecu with the door locks, and priming the fuel system. I told her we would get to 300k, and hopefully yall will help me out with that. She would be forever grateful. I've real every single ignition thread yall have and can't find a probey similar with the 10 seconds of silence. I just want to hear my girl purr again. I'm new so yall tell me if I break any rules.
Old 11-07-14, 09:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to Cl hopefully we can help some with the issue.
what did you loose 2 quarts of? oil?

You checked most of the ignition system but the number 1 thing that goes out on these cars are the coilpacks. I would start there because a bad one does result in only half the cylinders running (2 on each side). I would say do the cap and rotor inside the distributors but maybe you checked those already. try the coils first.
normally you disconnect one at a time when the car is off and start it and see if there was a change. if its worse then the coil was good, if its the same then that one is bad.

IT is possible the ecu got wet and could give those symptoms as well. My question would be is that did water actually get into the car, as in on the passenger side foot area of the carpet because that is where the ecu is. IF this part did get wet I would suspect the ecu, although just being so damp could have messed with an old ecu also. Still start with the coils its simpler, and then look for the ecu.

you probably got some water or the dampness took out a coilpack and it makes the car run rough. IF its the coilpack or ignition related problem, then change your oil right away. likely you had water or gas get in the oil because if it was not letting it spark due to a coil then it was flooded with gas and it is now in the oil and should be changed out right away before it causes other problems. IF it was not starting up due to water being sucked in like by the filter then that would also not be good.
Old 11-07-14, 03:32 PM
sparker081
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply. The cap and rotors look great. I can't test the coils in that fashion because I can't get her to start, and I'm positive there was no water in the oil, but i never thought about gas. That could make sense based in how long I was flooriginally it to keep her going. Maybe fuel ECU? I was doing routine maintenance before the flood though and the oil level is the same as it was before the flood. Same with tranny. It's coming from the v of the engine but my oil is still full. So weird, I don't know if that has to do with the no start issue. I believe water definitely got sucked up at first, then I dried her out, and it ran for a few days afterwards then quit. Water di not get into the interior of the car. Sigh, my poor girl.