Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 needs more power

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 03:34 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 needs more power

I have a 1998 sc400 and im looking for easy ways to gain more power any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 needs more power-funsmgracrg_ikqwlwfqh6ezd7mijwybwj0mr6m_xau.jpg  
Old 11-06-14, 03:54 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There are no easy ways to significantly increase power on a 1UZ. There are harder and expensive solutions though. Supercharge, build out motor, Turbo. Everything else adds negligible power increases. At least you have the fastest one. A 5 speed swap wakes that car up big time.
Old 11-06-14, 04:10 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
There are no easy ways to significantly increase power on a 1UZ. There are harder and expensive solutions though. Supercharge, build out motor, Turbo. Everything else adds negligible power increases. At least you have the fastest one. A 5 speed swap wakes that car up big time.
How does the 5 speed make the car faster?
Old 11-06-14, 04:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mastana
How does the 5 speed make the car faster?
It's not so much the 5 speed making it faster. Its more the fact that the automatic makes it slower. With the 5 speed you have access to the power the motor has, with the auto, you loose some of it.
The following users liked this post:
FreeTheSc (09-02-23)
Old 11-06-14, 05:23 PM
Aquae
Driver School Candidate

That and the car feels a lot more responsive with a 5 speed. But he's right, there's no easy way to increase power with these cars. You'll be looking to spend at least 50% of the cars' value if you do the work yourself, but more like 100%. You're also in the wrong section of the forum, might receive better responses in the performance & maintenance section. And that's a sweet looking SC you have there, they always look elegant in white.
Old 11-06-14, 06:41 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrade your torque converter, cheap
Old 11-06-14, 07:02 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Moved to Performance section.
Old 11-06-14, 09:38 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

BFI, headers, exhaust, that's about it.
Old 11-06-14, 10:02 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell it. Buy a SC300. 1JZ.
Old 11-07-14, 12:13 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It is harder to make a 1UZ put out more power than stock but as mentioned you *do* have the version with nearly 300hp and more torque than the early versions. If you were to get into a supercharger build you'd have to replace the rods and pistons in your VVT-i engine. The irony is the oldest 1UZ has the strongest rods but makes the least power. The newest 1UZ has the weakest rods and makes the most (stock) horsepower.

With what you already have under the hood you can do a lot to change your car's performance with an R154 5-speed swap, an LSD, suspension and brakes. It won't make more horsepower but it will put it down in a completely different way. You'll need a 3.769 TT Auto rear end or a 92-97 SC400 3.196 rear end to better match up with the R154's gearing. Your stock 3.26 rear end works well with your 5-speed automatic transmission (and V160 transmissions) but without more engine power you will want a more aggressive final drive ratio between those two choices (3.769 and 3.916). I think you'd be surprised at the result.

The main question should be what do you want to use your car for?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-07-14 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

He already has a 5 speed guys, its just an automatic =(
But in all seriousness the 5 speed autos are pretty quick already for an auto transmission.
Its a v8 so intake and exhaust work should net a decent increase.
I would not recommend a supercharger on the vvti version unless the boost was set very low and thats if it even fits the vvti.
Old 11-07-14, 11:38 AM
Mastana
Rookie

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
It's not so much the 5 speed making it faster. Its more the fact that the automatic makes it slower. With the 5 speed you have access to the power the motor has, with the auto, you loose some of it.
oh okay I see

Originally Posted by Aquae
That and the car feels a lot more responsive with a 5 speed. But he's right, there's no easy way to increase power with these cars. You'll be looking to spend at least 50% of the cars' value if you do the work yourself, but more like 100%. You're also in the wrong section of the forum, might receive better responses in the performance & maintenance section. And that's a sweet looking SC you have there, they always look elegant in white.
Okay thanks

Originally Posted by mak89
Upgrade your torque converter, cheap
Originally Posted by oldManTan
BFI, headers, exhaust, that's about it.
Ill look into that thanks guys

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Sell it. Buy a SC300. 1JZ.
lol when my motor goes i want to go 2jzgte

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It is harder to make a 1UZ put out more power than stock but as mentioned you *do* have the version with nearly 300hp and more torque than the early versions. If you were to get into a supercharger build you'd have to replace the rods and pistons in your VVT-i engine. The irony is the oldest 1UZ has the strongest rods but makes the least power. The newest 1UZ has the weakest rods and makes the most (stock) horsepower.

With what you already have under the hood you can do a lot to change your car's performance with an R154 5-speed swap, an LSD, suspension and brakes. It won't make more horsepower but it will put it down in a completely different way. You'll need a 3.769 TT Auto rear end or a 92-97 SC400 3.196 rear end to better match up with the R154's gearing. Your stock 3.26 rear end works well with your 5-speed automatic transmission (and V160 transmissions) but without more engine power you will want a more aggressive final drive ratio between those two choices (3.769 and 3.916). I think you'd be surprised at the result.

The main question should be what do you want to use your car for?
Thats interesting i never knew that about the pistons and rods lol , My car is my daily and i want to drift it here and there nothing serious but i want to try to get at least over 350 HP , but its going to be hard since im planning to get 18" work meisters and thats going to take away some of my power

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
He already has a 5 speed guys, its just an automatic =(
But in all seriousness the 5 speed autos are pretty quick already for an auto transmission.
Its a v8 so intake and exhaust work should net a decent increase.
I would not recommend a supercharger on the vvti version unless the boost was set very low and thats if it even fits the vvti.
I dont want to even try to supercharge and i was looking to do , exhaust , and intake with a tune , also thanks for the feedback
Old 11-07-14, 02:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ You won't see 350hp (even at the crank) with just an exhaust system, intake (BFI is the only one to consider) and a tune. Not sure what tuning options are even available for the stock 1UZ VVT-i ECU. Unfortunately the 1UZ is not as easily worked over as an LS1 or LS2 without forced induction.

I'd recommend staying with 17" rims and getting wider rubber. 290hp and 300lb-ft of torque stock in a V8 is pretty good. From your pictures it looks like your car is almost completely stock. I wouldn't focus on the engine so much as the rest of the chassis and possibly the transmission (but do some reading about that in regards to VVT-i's especially in threads posted by Cartmill). But your 5-speed automatic is much improved over the older 4-speed automatics. It comes down to what you want. From experience I have found a transmission swap to be tedious but far less of a headache than custom engine work.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-07-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 04:34 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ You won't see 350hp (even at the crank) with just an exhaust system, intake (BFI is the only one to consider) and a tune. Not sure what tuning options are even available for the stock 1UZ VVT-i ECU. Unfortunately the 1UZ is not as easily worked over as an LS1 or LS2 without forced induction.

I'd recommend staying with 17" rims and getting wider rubber. 290hp and 300lb-ft of torque stock in a V8 is pretty good. From your pictures it looks like your car is almost completely stock. I wouldn't focus on the engine so much as the rest of the chassis and possibly the transmission (but do some reading about that in regards to VVT-i's especially in threads posted by Cartmill). But your 5-speed automatic is much improved over the older 4-speed automatics. It comes down to what you want. From experience I have found a transmission swap to be tedious but far less of a headache than custom engine work.
Thanks bro
Old 11-10-14, 07:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mastana
My car is my daily and i want to drift it here and there nothing serious but i want to try to get at least over 350 HP , but its going to be hard since im planning to get 18" work meisters and thats going to take away some of my power
If you are going to drift it, aren't you going to really want that manual swap?

Quick Reply: Sc400 needs more power