Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Proefi48 vs mapecu2 vs aem v2

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 06:08 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proefi48 vs mapecu2 vs aem v2

Hey everyone I'm just trying to see if anyone know the pros and cons of the mapecu3 aem v2 and the proefi 48... Trying to make my mind up as to which one to pick out. I'm thinking about the proefi48 or mapecu3 but leaning more towards the proefi48... Any info will help thanx
Old 11-03-14, 08:39 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AEM is the most common by far.
ProEFI is newer and much more advanced.

Ask your tuner what he likes.
If your tuner says "ProEFI" then you know your decision.
If your tuner says "I AM the tuner!" then AEM is probably the way to go.

MAPecu is technically not the same category as it's not a standalone. It simply can't do what the others can. However, it IS the mac-daddy of piggybacks.
Old 11-03-14, 09:37 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
AEM is the most common by far.
ProEFI is newer and much more advanced.

Ask your tuner what he likes.
If your tuner says "ProEFI" then you know your decision.
If your tuner says "I AM the tuner!" then AEM is probably way to go.

MAPecu is technically not the same category as it's not a standalone. It simply can't do what the others can. However, it IS the mac-daddy of piggybacks.
Thanx I just got off the phone with proefi guys just off customer service I'm liking them a lot but he told me to talk to Omar since he used both ecu's
Old 11-04-14, 01:10 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

haltech sport2000
Old 11-04-14, 05:49 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I will try to help you here.

I have used aem for a few years since 07 if I remember correctly.

Aem was great since it was my first standalone, first thing I bought when I knew I wanted to go na-t .

Tuning took maybe 2hrs and car made 512hp and I was happy with it, this was 7years ago and this was my first car I built by myself for myself!!
3years ago I built another aem car, this was on ethanol 700hp daily driver, not that I have to but I wanted to see how many miles I can get out of the motor before it let go...and how far can I push the stock clutch etc..

after 20k miles everything looked like the first day I put the car together!! aem work ok, it was a pita to start in the morning because of the ethanol + aem cold start BS.
When Im driving to work in the morning I feel like I need to pull some fuel and after work in the afternoon I needs more fuel, it was a constant battle.. Car run Ok since I was always on E85 and it cost me a lot of money to keep it on e85 since aem didn't support flex fuel at that time spending around $750 a month to daily drive it. I wish I would have listen to others and went proefi at that time but no..

Last year I get to see a couple proefi cars in action and I was sold!! Took the aem out and threw it in the trash o_O
I was never a proefi believer, but I wanted to try it on my own and see how it works.
I installed it then I started getting nervous about the wiring and installing all types of pressure sensors, traction control, iboost, rolling antilag etc..
This is my first time installing this type of stuff when installing an EMS in the SC or Supra, time consuming but my friend keep telling me it will be all worth it when it all set and done!

Finished the car, headed to another state to get it tune. I

had it tuned and I will never ever use any other ecu in my cars, or lawnmowers!
First thing I realized the car will not start w/o a fuel pressure sensor screwed into the fpr that's a great failsafe.

Now on the dyno we couldn't raise the boost up anymore than 18 ...I was lile wtf? and the tuner tells me its a fuel pressure issue..i said damn..

So this is what the computer was doing,when we raise the boost to 24psi , it sees a fp drop, then it lowers the boost to 18 which was the lowest setting on the Iboost, then fp goes up, it raises the boost to 22 psi, fp drops again it lower the boost to 18.
It was unbelievable!! I was pissed at first because of the fp issue which means I have to go home fix it and come back but I was happy after seeing what the ecu was going to save the motor

If this was an aem car, that motor would have went bye bye.

http://proefi.com/info/wp-content/up...ection-Tab.pdf
If you have the funds, I would do the 128 box everything is built in the ecu, 48 will requires a signal conditionerto do flex fuel, zeitronix gauge etc..Doesn't have enough I/O or maybe you can go with the 112 which can be tune live , smaller in size and work like the 128 box but cheaper.

It took about 1h30min to setup all the failsafes that I will ever need before we even start tuning.

Flex fuel pays for it self, you can run whatever gas you want Except diesel lol but it will lower the boost and timing accordingly.
For example on 85% ethanol you are setup to run 35-50 psi , 80% 27-35, 70% 22-27 psi so let say you have 50% ethanol in the tank and you are on iboost 5 which is 50psi , the ecu will drop the boost down without you turning the boost down using the Iboost ****...you can stomp on the gas as hard as you want it won't make anymore boost.

Fault Managementis a strategy used by the O.E.M. vehicle manufacturers for years to help protect the vehicles powertrain. The tuner has access to numerous conditions the Powertrain controller is always monitoring. This allows the tuner to setup minimum and maximum operating conditions of the powertrain. If any of these conditions are exceeded or have not been met, then a fault is triggered by the PCM. With this fault trigger the tuner can setup a set of actions based upon these triggers. These triggers all have adjustable sample rates to allow the tuner to fine tune what is truly a fault condition or a quick blip in a transition state. When a fault is triggered, a code will be set that can be read from the blinking of a check engine light, or from a laptop connection. ProEFI’s base fault codes are based upon OBDII protocol for faults. These codes are tuner selectable and may be changed by the tuner as well.Example 1: Lean condition – The tuner has set a lean fuel fault condition to trigger a fault at above 12.5 to 1 Air/Fuel ratio when manifold pressure is above 150kpa (7.3psi). The tuner can now go in to the fault management and set condition 1 to trigger a check engine light, condition 2 to set the boost to minimum allowed boost, condition 3 to disengage nitrous control, and condition 4 to enter a cut mode, either ignition or fuel. The tuner can now set this fault can either be released when normal operating conditions are met, held until the ignition key is cycled, or held until the fault condition is reset by the tuner.

Example 2: Fuel pressure variance – One of the biggest problems in today’s high horsepower turbocharged engines is fuel delivery. The ProEFI’s built in strategy to monitor fuel pressure for all types of fuel systems, allows for some really trick safety features. While monitoring fuel pressure, the PCM will see when the fuel pressure is not maintaining the proper pressure ratio across the injector. Although the computer will automatically adjust the injector opening time to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio, if a limit is exceeded, a fault condition will be triggered. The tuner can then setup in the fault management for Conditions 1 to default to base boost, Condition 2 to turn on the check engine light, Condition 3 to disengage nitrous, and condition 4 to enter a cut mode.
Old 11-04-14, 06:28 AM
s1984
Driver

Does the Proefi48 have the same fault management options as the 128?
Old 11-04-14, 08:06 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Yes 48 has the same failsafes as the 128 box

The main differences are, the only thing you lose is Traction Control, Boost by Speed, built in Wideband and knock control.

http://proefi.com/info/product-list/ecus/
Old 11-04-14, 08:13 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
haltech sport2000
if i had money like that i would go with the 128
Old 11-04-14, 08:18 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Ok I will try to help you here.

I have used aem for a few years since 07 if I remember correctly.

Aem was great since it was my first standalone, first thing I bought when I knew I wanted to go na-t .

Tuning took maybe 2hrs and car made 512hp and I was happy with it, this was 7years ago and this was my first car I built by myself for myself!!
3years ago I built another aem car, this was on ethanol 700hp daily driver, not that I have to but I wanted to see how many miles I can get out of the motor before it let go...and how far can I push the stock clutch etc..

after 20k miles everything looked like the first day I put the car together!! aem work ok, it was a pita to start in the morning because of the ethanol + aem cold start BS.
When Im driving to work in the morning I feel like I need to pull some fuel and after work in the afternoon I needs more fuel, it was a constant battle.. Car run Ok since I was always on E85 and it cost me a lot of money to keep it on e85 since aem didn't support flex fuel at that time spending around $750 a month to daily drive it. I wish I would have listen to others and went proefi at that time but no..

Last year I get to see a couple proefi cars in action and I was sold!! Took the aem out and threw it in the trash o_O
I was never a proefi believer, but I wanted to try it on my own and see how it works.
I installed it then I started getting nervous about the wiring and installing all types of pressure sensors, traction control, iboost, rolling antilag etc..
This is my first time installing this type of stuff when installing an EMS in the SC or Supra, time consuming but my friend keep telling me it will be all worth it when it all set and done!

Finished the car, headed to another state to get it tune. I

had it tuned and I will never ever use any other ecu in my cars, or lawnmowers!
First thing I realized the car will not start w/o a fuel pressure sensor screwed into the fpr that's a great failsafe.

Now on the dyno we couldn't raise the boost up anymore than 18 ...I was lile wtf? and the tuner tells me its a fuel pressure issue..i said damn..

So this is what the computer was doing,when we raise the boost to 24psi , it sees a fp drop, then it lowers the boost to 18 which was the lowest setting on the Iboost, then fp goes up, it raises the boost to 22 psi, fp drops again it lower the boost to 18.
It was unbelievable!! I was pissed at first because of the fp issue which means I have to go home fix it and come back but I was happy after seeing what the ecu was going to save the motor

If this was an aem car, that motor would have went bye bye.

http://proefi.com/info/wp-content/up...ection-Tab.pdf
If you have the funds, I would do the 128 box everything is built in the ecu, 48 will requires a signal conditionerto do flex fuel, zeitronix gauge etc..Doesn't have enough I/O or maybe you can go with the 112 which can be tune live , smaller in size and work like the 128 box but cheaper.

It took about 1h30min to setup all the failsafes that I will ever need before we even start tuning.

Flex fuel pays for it self, you can run whatever gas you want Except diesel lol but it will lower the boost and timing accordingly.
For example on 85% ethanol you are setup to run 35-50 psi , 80% 27-35, 70% 22-27 psi so let say you have 50% ethanol in the tank and you are on iboost 5 which is 50psi , the ecu will drop the boost down without you turning the boost down using the Iboost ****...you can stomp on the gas as hard as you want it won't make anymore boost.

Fault Managementis a strategy used by the O.E.M. vehicle manufacturers for years to help protect the vehicles powertrain. The tuner has access to numerous conditions the Powertrain controller is always monitoring. This allows the tuner to setup minimum and maximum operating conditions of the powertrain. If any of these conditions are exceeded or have not been met, then a fault is triggered by the PCM. With this fault trigger the tuner can setup a set of actions based upon these triggers. These triggers all have adjustable sample rates to allow the tuner to fine tune what is truly a fault condition or a quick blip in a transition state. When a fault is triggered, a code will be set that can be read from the blinking of a check engine light, or from a laptop connection. ProEFI’s base fault codes are based upon OBDII protocol for faults. These codes are tuner selectable and may be changed by the tuner as well.Example 1: Lean condition – The tuner has set a lean fuel fault condition to trigger a fault at above 12.5 to 1 Air/Fuel ratio when manifold pressure is above 150kpa (7.3psi). The tuner can now go in to the fault management and set condition 1 to trigger a check engine light, condition 2 to set the boost to minimum allowed boost, condition 3 to disengage nitrous control, and condition 4 to enter a cut mode, either ignition or fuel. The tuner can now set this fault can either be released when normal operating conditions are met, held until the ignition key is cycled, or held until the fault condition is reset by the tuner.

Example 2: Fuel pressure variance – One of the biggest problems in today’s high horsepower turbocharged engines is fuel delivery. The ProEFI’s built in strategy to monitor fuel pressure for all types of fuel systems, allows for some really trick safety features. While monitoring fuel pressure, the PCM will see when the fuel pressure is not maintaining the proper pressure ratio across the injector. Although the computer will automatically adjust the injector opening time to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio, if a limit is exceeded, a fault condition will be triggered. The tuner can then setup in the fault management for Conditions 1 to default to base boost, Condition 2 to turn on the check engine light, Condition 3 to disengage nitrous, and condition 4 to enter a cut mode.
thanx a lot !! that helped me out a lot !! i think i may have made my mind up... im almost sure im going with the 48 its in my budget... one of the guys i talked to on sf said the 48 is a lot better then the aem v2. im going to try my luck with the 48 for now hopefully it do the trick. only hard part is i cant seem to find a pin out for the sc
Old 11-04-14, 08:30 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

great writeup brother
Old 11-04-14, 08:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

only thing I am wondering about the 48 is it says there are 4 injector drivers. so you would have to run the fuel in batch fire like a 1jz then I think, or am I missing something? I would try and do the 128 then its double the price but probably worth it on a 6 cylinder plus all the extra features.

so my breakdown just on the features/drivers:
pre efi 128 - Best of the pro-efi can run all the stuff you want and get all the extra failsafe features.
pro efi 48 - you have to run batch fire injection (only 4 injector drivers) which no one wants on a high power build.
aem v1 - you have to run wasted spark ignition (only 5 ignition drivers) which many don't want on a high power build (most aem v1 users need a HKS DLI)
aem v2 - Best of the aem you can run all the stuff you want but doesn't have the features of the pro-efi as said above.

map ecu 2 is a good piggyback, does not belong with the standalone's above. compare to an aem fic-6 or greddy emanage.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-04-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-04-14, 09:14 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

You're pretty much on point with that Ali. The other features you wouldn't have with the 48 would be the traction control, boost by speed etc. as Oumar mentioned above.

If you're doing a somewhat basic street setup, and not looking to make huge power, the 48 is a lot of ECU for the price. Definitely a step above the rest in its class in my opinion.
Old 11-04-14, 10:30 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I like the 48 for a budget build 500-600hp , it's very capable! With G35/350Z you get have traction control with the 48 thru the Can Bus!!

Ali you are correct!! Another reason why I like the Proefi over all these ems, is once you are tune you don't need to look at your gauge and you don't need 7 gauges only, you only need one that will monitor 30/40 different channels.
You can drive from Washington DC to Arizona without looking at your gauge , Ecu does everything automatically...Worst case scenario it will turn the car off before you blow the motor.
I cannot tell you guys how much I love this ecu, Again I came from an aem back ground.. Ali remember those days lol.

I would run a 48 before a put an aem in my car again..

48 will only workS on manual car.

Knuckeup hit me up , we need to catch up, it's been awhile!

Last edited by 99SC42; 11-04-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-04-14, 10:44 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by 99SC42
I like the 48 for a budget build 500-600hp , it's very capable! With G35/350Z you get have traction control with the 48 thru the Can Bus!!

Ali you are correct!! Another reason why I like the Proefi over all these ems, is once you are tune you don't need to look at your gauge and you don't need 7 gauges only, you only need one that will monitor 30/40 different channels.
You can drive from Washington DC to Arizona without looking at your gauge , Ecu does everything automatically...Worst case scenario it will turn the car off before you blow the motor.
I cannot tell you guys how much I love this ecu, Again I came from an aem back ground.. Ali remember those days lol.

I would run a 48 before a put an aem in my car again..

48 will only workS on manual car.

Knuckeup hit me up , we need to catch up, it's been awhile!
I'm looking to order the 48 next week .. Now will it come with the sc pin out or do I have to figure it out on my own ?
Old 11-04-14, 11:11 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

You will use a universal pinout (provided by ProEFI), and bump it against the factory pinout for the car (which you can download off the web).

I wired my ProEFI 1jz setup using the pinout from ProEFI and the pinout I printed offline for the 1jz in about 3/4 of a day.

Quick Reply: Proefi48 vs mapecu2 vs aem v2