Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tearing sc300 dif apart. Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 04:57 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tearing sc300 dif apart. Question

I for some reason am having trouble getting the axle/hub/splined shafts out of the whole differential. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I couldn't find a way (If it did have snap rings holding them in) to get them off. I've pulled both shafts out far enough to see the seal and maybe 8mm more towards the gears and that's as far as I can get. I'm about to go pressure wash the inside to make sure I have all pieces of the chewed up gears out of the way to make sure that's not stopping me from completely pulling them out. I have searched but it only seems that people are swapping full dif's and not the internals. Maybe i'm putting the wrong words in the search section. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm trying to get my TRD LSD swapped into this differential case. Thanks in advance! I'll buy anyone some beer if you're in the Southwest Kansas area for the help.
Old 10-15-14, 12:49 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

The diff stub axles, all you need to do to remove them is pry them out evenly with a prybar.
Old 10-15-14, 04:37 AM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Anonymous! I pressure washed it out last night. I'll give it another go again today after work. Do you pry them on the flanges of the housing? I accidentally bent two areas from hitting w/ a chisel to get it to separate from the casing. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-14, 03:18 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Anonymous, you are the man!! (or woman. can't tell lol) If i'm ever in the bay area early next year, i'll buy you a drink or three. I took a rubber mallet and bam! One axle came off with a little work. The other is taking a bit longer but it's easy. Thanks again.