Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone w/ 98-00 GS300(auto) ring/pinion gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 11:23 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch type differential units are quite durable when a top make and brand new; Racing wears out everything and in racing the differential often outlasts the transmission or engine - case in point: the Clutch type racing differential in the Enduro car I race has 65+ hours on it from 0 mile build, the used engine failed after 50 hours run time.

some street car data:

The clutch type LSD in my 1990 735i 5 speed manual still did great doughnuts at 240k original miles.
The clutch LSD in my e36 M3 was expired (open diff basically) at 216k miles

The way one drives and the footwork setting of the car does matter alot

People who buy secondhand used and abused clutch LSD units for cheap are the ones complaining about the durability; usually its the individual at fault not the product.

either that or they are drifting and destroying their car.

For your use a new TRD LSD will outlast your sc300. TRD LSD is top make; word on the street is that it was designed by OS Giken; I actually support alot of BMW circuit racers for professionally built differential; some OS Giken sponsored.

OS Giken units are as technically advanced and as high quality as money can buy. TRD unit is a cast housing version (price is half of the OS Giken CNC billet housing)

A Os Giken unit used in wheel to wheel professional class racing will take 50-70 hours before internal service interval.

Last edited by wanganstyl; 09-28-14 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-28-14, 05:03 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

That is great information! I have always read that trd lsd's are almost indestructible. For my hp goals, I don't feel like I will ever be really pushing this dif to its limits.

As for the ring and pinion, the gears are super clean. Not a scuff on them.
Old 09-29-14, 03:44 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and ordered two quarts of redline lightweight shock proof gear oil. I am considering looking around at other vendors and seeing what they have availability wise for the TRD dif or something of equal performance. I ordered mine through MVP and they are still unsure on when they'll hear anything about it. It's kind of making me nervous. I already paid for it and they already shipped me all the stuff i'll need for the rebuild. I just haven't really heard anything about the dif. I guess i'm getting antsy to get the whole rear end solid so I can focus on other things.
Old 09-29-14, 05:17 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Go to local toyota dealership and give them the part number pictured.

If you want full service you can pm me and I can supply a complete but unit ready to bolt in if you want a pro built unit. My local dealers all support me. (Bmw and toyota; and in the future they will share i6 and parts)
Old 09-29-14, 05:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the info, wanganstyl. I love what I've heard about OS Giken's 1.5 LSD. I didn't know TRD was using a low-cost version of one of their designs.
Old 09-30-14, 12:22 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wanganstyl
Go to local toyota dealership and give them the part number pictured.

If you want full service you can pm me and I can supply a complete but unit ready to bolt in if you want a pro built unit. My local dealers all support me. (Bmw and toyota; and in the future they will share i6 and parts)

Wow! I hit up Curt on supraforums and they have 8 TRD LSD's in stock!!! I called MVP back today to get a refund. I have not heard of any small simple detail that would give me the comfort of knowing something is on it's way. Not once after 1 month and 15 days. Robert told me "well if the LSD has shipped, we can't refund you your money." Geeez. Curt let me know that MVP gets their TRD LSD's from Jay Marks Toyota out of Houston. Robert told me "Japan" and now i'm waiting for a call back. It's been an hour and thirty minutes with no update as to if it's shipped or not. When I first made the order, he called me back the next day and let me know none were in stock. He also told me they are hard to keep in stock because everyone gobbles them right up as soon as they get in. Now I don't understand why he couldn't just refund me my money and leave the LSD for the next guy. I am currently #2 in line for mine. Why can't I just get it back? I could have my dif in my car and ready to go already. Who would've thought Toyota had them in stock for $1250! That's cheaper than MVP motorsports!!! Mannnnn. I'm disappointed in myself for not considering asking Curt. I've ordered tons of parts from him. I guess i'll be kicking my own *** for a little while. It wont be so bad if I can get my money back. I guess if I don't hear anything back today, I will go to my bank and let them know I never received anything for my purchase and hopefully they will help me handle the situation.

UPDATE...

Well I got impatient and called them back after two hours of no call back. This time I actually talked to the guy in charge of the returns. I let him know the situation. I even asked if I had to get it through them, if he could pick one up from Elmhurst Toyota and ship it to me today. I told him he could keep the extra money and I'll have my dif by Friday and we'll both be happy. He said, "Well let me do some checking and I'll call you back before the days over. If I could possibly get one shipped out to you tomorrow, would that be okay?" I said, "Hell yea, man. Let me know! I'd really appreciate it." He said he'll call me back. I haven't heard nothing yet and that was ~3 hours ago. I'll see what's up tomorrow after work. MVP treated me right way back in the day. My only hope is that they will do the same for me now.

Last edited by Mesican; 09-30-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 10:15 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Mesican, sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with MVP. It may be a TRD Japan issue or it may be their service. I've seldom used them and I can't say. Curt at Elmhurst is great though.

Here's hoping you get your LSD soon so you can get the project on its way.

Edit: I just saw your post is a few days old. Did they get back to you after all?
Old 10-07-14, 05:39 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Kahn. They finally got back to me Friday. Though I had to call them again after waiting another day and a half to hear from them. After a few calls back and forth they finally returned my money. I have not seen it hit my bank account, but I'm taking their word on really refunding me my money. Now i'm stuck on trying to pull the hubs out of the dif. Doing a little digging again on the forums on this problem. I forgot what else needed to be done to pull them out. I kind of nicked the shaft a little bit on one side. Doesn't look like there's any form of seal in that area so I'm assuming i'm fine. My TRD LSD from Elmhurst was 1265 shipped! WOOT!