Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electric Radiator Fan Install simplified?

Old 07-26-14, 04:41 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric Radiator Fan Install simplified?

Looking to get rid of the clutch fan and shroud, runing some piping and itl be in the way. For now il be sticking with the stock radiator since its brand new. Il be using 2 14" fans, and basicaly what im looking for is the easiest, simplest method to wire them in. I want them running at all time when the car is on.

Il be upgrading to a alluminum rad with fanshroud later.

Can i tap into my fuse box? With those add a fuse things? Anyone have some install pics by any chance?

If you have any info on it please let me know id appreciate it, i did see a similar thread but i couldnt get answer.

Thanks
Old 07-26-14, 06:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could just run a switch and risk forgetting to turn them on, or add a relay to a 12v switched ignition source that will engage the relay once you turn the key.

As for tapping into an existing fuse I would not suggest that. E-Fans pull alot of AMPS and constantly running, may overload that circuit...eventually causing a fire.

Use a relay.
Old 07-26-14, 08:42 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Could you draw me out a little diagram on the best way going about it? Microsoft paint or something lol
As far as relays i have little to no knowledge on how they work
Old 07-26-14, 09:29 PM
Tam4511
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it and its simple as can be. buy a radiator fan switch kit and it comes with a diagram. The relay will have 4 wires to wire up: one main power from the battery, one ground to the temp sensor, one power wire to a switched source {ie. a wire that's only how when the ignition is on, so the fans don't run when the car is off} and a power wire to the fans.

I have a aluminum supra radiator and shroud ( i put heat resistant foam between the shroud and rad to seal it and have optimum air flow} and just eBay fans. It performs great and doesn't over heat in hot Texas weather. Even with full A/C
Old 07-27-14, 07:47 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Golden95SC
Could you draw me out a little diagram on the best way going about it? Microsoft paint or something lol
As far as relays i have little to no knowledge on how they work
Sure can, Ill have one posted for you sometime today. Summit and Jegs also offer premade e-fan relay harnesses with temp switches. The temp switch may not have a great placement option with the stock radiator, but it can still work. I have my fans on a 60amp switch, with a relay and they run full time. Like Tam4511 said, a good radiator and shroud will also help. Im running the Mishimoto TT Supra radiator and fans/shroud with my LS1 and have yet to see temps over 185* with hard driving. Normal driving it stays at 160-170* with a 160* thermostat.

Originally Posted by Tam4511
I did it and its simple as can be. buy a radiator fan switch kit and it comes with a diagram. The relay will have 4 wires to wire up: one main power from the battery, one ground to the temp sensor, one power wire to a switched source {ie. a wire that's only how when the ignition is on, so the fans don't run when the car is off} and a power wire to the fans.

I have a aluminum supra radiator and shroud ( i put heat resistant foam between the shroud and rad to seal it and have optimum air flow} and just eBay fans. It performs great and doesn't over heat in hot Texas weather. Even with full A/C

I envy your a/c comment .
Old 07-27-14, 10:01 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Great thanks, so something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-electric-cooling-fan-relay-kit-super-HD-upgrades-instructions-USA-made-/271530382867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3878d613&vxp=mtr
Now since theres 2 fans do i need 2 relays or will 1 be sufficient? And then i just wire it to the ignition or some sort so itl turn on with the engine on correct?
Old 07-27-14, 10:25 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Great thanks, so something like this?
Radiator Electric Cooling Fan Relay Kit Super HD Upgrades Instructions USA Made | eBay

Now since theres 2 fans do i need 2 relays or will 1 be sufficient? And then i just wire it to the ignition or some sort so itl turn on with the engine on correct?
Similar to that, look up this system here: Derale 16735

I have 2 of those installed, but have replaced the temp sensor with the switches on my dash.

Here are a couple pictures that will help you along. One being how to wire dual fans with a single relay (although 2 is more ideal, one will work) and a detailed diagram of the relay.

Old 07-27-14, 11:18 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Ohh ok im starting to understand it a bit, thanks alot man

So there 2 wires from the battery running into the relay and only one needs a fuse? Bridge into the 10 gauge wire with the 16-18g with no fuse? Or is it after the point with the fuse

And the temp sensor could i wire that to the ignition or an accessory that comes on when the cars on?
I guess i want to hard wire it to the ignition

Last edited by Golden95SC; 07-27-14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 12:47 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

Man I was just wondering about this yesterday... I pulled the fan shroud from the car and was going to try and think how to repair the mounting ears which are all broke off so its just dangling there...but now I think I will just put it back... I Used the CL search function....lol. and looked at all the electric fan discussion and most of it was one sided with people saying it wasnt worth it..... then somebody mentioned using is300 electric fans which sounded like good option... is there any chance of improving cooling over the stock fan?

wonder how come noone ever did a writeup on this project...
Old 07-27-14, 03:11 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ohh ok im starting to understand it a bit, thanks alot man

So there 2 wires from the battery running into the relay and only one needs a fuse? Bridge into the 10 gauge wire with the 16-18g with no fuse? Or is it after the point with the fuse

And the temp sensor could i wire that to the ignition or an accessory that comes on when the cars on?
I guess i want to hard wire it to the ignition
If you want to use the ignition switch and have them on full time, use the diagram below. Double that diagram for 2 fans (2 relays, one for each fan).. The 12v input from the ignition switch is only used to engage the relay, its pulling very little power from the switched source and will keep things safe.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2my4thz.jpg

Originally Posted by Ineedspeed
Man I was just wondering about this yesterday... I pulled the fan shroud from the car and was going to try and think how to repair the mounting ears which are all broke off so its just dangling there...but now I think I will just put it back... I Used the CL search function....lol. and looked at all the electric fan discussion and most of it was one sided with people saying it wasnt worth it..... then somebody mentioned using is300 electric fans which sounded like good option... is there any chance of improving cooling over the stock fan?

wonder how come noone ever did a writeup on this project...
In theory, there are not many e-fans as efficient as the stock clutch fan as far as CFM is concerned. I had considered Ford Taurus e-fans as their flow rate is extremely high, but I opted for the full Mishimoto setup and took the time to duct and seal a solid airflow path to the radiator. Unless your really ready to put in the time and money for good fans, radiator and seal up your front bumper to ensure solid airflow, the stock clutch fan is by far the best option.

Only reason I have e-fans is because of my engine swap and not wanting the bulky GM clutch fan under my hood. I have had e-fan setups in the past on my S13's that I regretted, and switched back to the mechanical fan. It all depends on how much time/money you put in to the setup to determine if its worth it or not.
Old 07-28-14, 03:25 AM
Redtallman
Rookie

Im looking to find a wreck gs300 second generation and getting the fan system and associated wiring. I have a 01 gs300 and it looks like it can be swap in.
Old 07-28-14, 07:34 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Redtallman
Im looking to find a wreck gs300 second generation and getting the fan system and associated wiring. I have a 01 gs300 and it looks like it can be swap in.
Anything can be swapped in. The question is going to be how the GS fans are triggered? Are they ecu controlled like GM cars, or did Toyota actually use a temp switch on the GS radiator? I have to ask this cause I'm not sure, but its something that needs to be thought of. You might end up fighting with more wiring that you want to deal with.

As for the fans and shroud swapping over should be easy, but Im going to doubt that the electrical side is plug and play. Could be useful writeup though if you get it to work easily
Old 07-28-14, 10:25 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Alright turbo, would this work?
Name:  IMG_20140728_101954_124.jpg
Views: 3084
Size:  171.5 KB

Also is the little circuit breaker thing needed? I see that some kits have it

Last edited by Golden95SC; 07-28-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 03:26 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Alright turbo, would this work?

Also is the little circuit breaker thing needed? I see that some kits have it

That looks right. The circuit breaker is just a secondary safety measure along with the fuse. Not required, but not a bad idea.
Old 07-28-14, 04:44 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Heres another question, i have to use 10 gauge wire for the battery wire to relays, and from each fan to relay correct?

I guess im a little confused on the wire gauge needed. And will 1 fuse be enough or will i need a fuse.for each relay. And what fuse size.

Or can i attach the 10 wire to the 14-16 wire? Even if id the 14 wire is 2 inches long? Will that burn it out,?

Or running a 30amp fuse through 14 gauge wire? But il be using 1 wire to power 2 relays, will that sort of even it out?

Now each fan is 80watt/12 volt, so thats about 6amps? So each only draws 6 amps? Thats wat the calculator said. but a larger amp fuse cause the fans to work harder/spin faster? Or what will more amps to the system make it do?

Sorry for all these questions lol, i wana make sure i do it right

Last edited by Golden95SC; 07-28-14 at 06:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Radiator Fan Install simplified?