Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Harmonic balancer worked it self off any recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 03:52 PM
Firemr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer worked it self off any recommendations

Well yesterday i herd a loud squeal come from my car then it just went away. So i decided to look underneath the hood and i found my harmonic ballance pulley just chilling on the belly pan and the belt still loped around everything like nothing ever happened.

Any recommendation besides oem. i figured it would be a great opportunity to buy a performance pulley to go along with the 75shot im running.
Old 05-04-14, 07:06 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

FluidAmpr. Replace it once and never worry about it going bad again.

http://www.fluidampr.com/product/840801/
Old 05-04-14, 07:35 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The performance style pulleys are one piece and you'll feel a slight vibration that doesn't "harmonically balance" the engine. If you want that OEM feel, but an OEM replacement. If the cost is too high, but a good condition used unit. I bought one for $75.00, never had any problems with it. The $350+ performance ones are a little overkill unless you truly need them.
Old 05-04-14, 07:49 PM
Scsyndrome
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my ATI. Much lighter than the OEM pulley. Most definitely do not feel any vibration from it either BTW.
Old 05-04-14, 08:17 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ this. Ati is good stuff. But they do cost money and require a new serp belt. If you need a used one a good friend of mine just found one in his garage. He's a member here, RyanV. Hit him up he'll prob cut you a killer deal as he no longer owns a JZ car.
Old 05-04-14, 08:44 PM
kilroy45
Driver School Candidate

Default harmonic balancer

Just go to the junkyard and see if you find a SC there, make sure the rubber seal
(just outside the bolt..not the entire pulley)

isn't rotted or cracked looking) or i can get you one i know where 2 are and i can take a pic as a ref of what to make sure to look for if you find a junkyard one
I have 2 sc300's both of which did the same thing you've had happen. One on the highway going about 85 heard a loud metal noise and that was it. The other fell off during a test drive for my 5spd... (I got it 800 cheaper due to it hahha. So if you need some pointers on it I'd gladly help you out
Old 05-04-14, 09:42 PM
Firemr2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all the help, Friday when i get back in town im going to go look at a 2J thats been sitting up and ill see what kind of condition its in. i would like to save some money because i don't plan on keep it, car runs great its just i miss driving my s2000.
Old 05-04-14, 09:50 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't buy a new cheap no-name China replacement pulley. The rubber that holds the two pieces together will start to fall out within a year.
Old 05-05-14, 02:43 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

i would not recommend getting a used one, even if it looks good. These things have a really bad habbit of breaking. Happened to me twice (leaving me stranded) before I decided that I needed a new one.
Old 05-05-14, 03:51 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont buy a used one. Buy a brand new OEM or ATI. We have harmonic balancers on our cars, not just some random crank pulley. The balancer actually has a hand in balancing the crank vibrations. Also make sure you get the right amount of torque onto the new crank bolt.
Old 05-05-14, 10:10 PM
Firemr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by czar07
Dont buy a used one. Buy a brand new OEM or ATI. We have harmonic balancers on our cars, not just some random crank pulley. The balancer actually has a hand in balancing the crank vibrations. Also make sure you get the right amount of torque onto the new crank bolt.
Definitely looking into that ATI, although i only drive it on the weekends im home its still consider my daily, i searched for a upgraded balancer but wasn't able to come across one, i guess i didn't look hard enough. thanks for the recommendation.
Attached Thumbnails Harmonic balancer worked it self off any recommendations-img_0971.jpg  
Old 05-12-14, 09:34 PM
kilroy45
Driver School Candidate

True on used but both my daily SC's have used ones I put on. Have about 60, 000 on my other (old daily sc...now my brothers no issues) so if your tight with your money and only drive it weekends then used isnt that bad. I see a new one as benifitial especially on a turbo swapped one but as weekend driver like you state, it'll work juuust fine. Making a junkyard run to MD, they're 50 $ if you don't find a good one by then pm me and I can pick one up for you
Old 06-18-14, 09:24 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I recommend only buying new. There are oem spec replacements available on ebay if you're tight on cash.
For peace of mind, you can just buy a new oem toyota pulley and it'll work fine on a stock motor or a 900hp motor.

Aftermarket performance pulleys that I trust if you want that extra protection and have a lot of money invested in your motor (especially if your redline is higher than factory)
-Fluidampner
-ATI
-Titan (just a rebadged ATI)