Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz sc300 bogging with acceleration but idles fine Help please shes my DD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 10:36 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tps arrived today from driftmotion. Will probabky get to it this weekend and start poking around trying to figure out the heater issue also. No iverheating issues ever on this car...I'm really stumped on this.

Anyone with anymore guesses. So many little things with this car... I just wanna get everything itlroned out so I can enjoy driving her again. Might as well post another issue I am experiencing here too while I'm thinking about it..

I got a whine in my power steering (brand new not refurbished lump btw after trying two used ones and still having the whine. Its either got to be the rack although it doesng leak...or the inlet on the pump coming from the resovoir...only place I can think air could be getting in looks like a little fluid is leaking from around the inlet area...ive replaced everything pretty much including. Hard line to rack...beech performance resovoir...an fittings and high quality power steering hose. 3 pumps two used and one new. Only whines after about 5-10 minutes of driving...constant whine...more pronounced when turning.

Really need some help here guys. Much love!

Jeffrey

Last edited by SupraDremr; 06-19-14 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 05:44 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
My tps arrived today from driftmotion. Will probabky get to it this weekend and start poking around trying to figure out the heater issue also. No iverheating issues ever on this car...I'm really stumped on this.

Anyone with anymore guesses. So many little things with this car... I just wanna get everything itlroned out so I can enjoy driving her again. Might as well post another issue I am experiencing here too while I'm thinking about it..

I got a whine in my power steering (brand new not refurbished lump btw after trying two used ones and still having the whine. Its either got to be the rack although it doesng leak...or the inlet on the pump coming from the resovoir...only place I can think air could be getting in looks like a little fluid is leaking from around the inlet area...ive replaced everything pretty much including. Hard line to rack...beech performance resovoir...an fittings and high quality power steering hose. 3 pumps two used and one new. Only whines after about 5-10 minutes of driving...constant whine...more pronounced when turning.

Jeffrey
are you using power steering fluid or atf?
when you look instead of the reservoir do you see bubbles?
Old 06-21-14, 01:31 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

I am using ATF...Lucas I believe was the brand I bought. I was using Power steering fluid before...but changed when I changed the first pump...Been ATF for a while now...

Fluid gets a little foamy but then dissipates...I will post a video in a bit to show you exactly what is going on.
Old 06-23-14, 05:51 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

that usually means air is getting into your system somewhere.
maybe add some uv dye and check for leaks in your hoses?
Old 06-23-14, 06:31 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraDremr

Jeffrey
Both of your issues sound like air pockets trapped in the system too me. When you feel a hose surging that is steam building up in the system. Air in the cooling system will cause an issue because the steam/air reads a different temp than liquid/antifreeze. You need to have the system properly flushed/filled. We use a system that pulls a vacuum on the cooling system before it fills. This does two things, first it ensures the integrity of the cooling system and ensures no leaks, second it removes any and or all trapped air from the system. This is NOT a flush machine, it is a vacuum refill machine ask around at some of your local garages and see if they have one. As far as the power steering noise it is almost certainly an air issue. In my experience if the system stops making noise after some short running time this tells me that the system is self bleeding the trapped air. Now the question is where is the air entering the system from. If you are not seeing any external leaks I would check the power steering rack bellows where the inner tie rod end goes into the rack. This is a common placed for the power steering system to leak and go unnoticed for a very long time. Most of the time we will just poke a small hole in the bottom of each left and right bellows and see if oil starts to drip out. If so it is time for a new rack. Keep in mind that the noise you are hearing is due to "cavitation" occurring inside the pump, this can ONLY be caused by the liquid pump trying to pump an air pocked thus creating your whining noise, that is as long as your wife is not sitting beside you saying "why don't we just get rid of this damn thing, I want a new car! I hate this car!" I would NOT be installing a fairly expensive TPS sensor without first verifying that my old sensor was bad first. The test for this sensor is fairly straight forward and simple.

Hope this helps. Nate
Old 06-23-14, 10:36 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by ming15237
Both of your issues sound like air pockets trapped in the system too me. When you feel a hose surging that is steam building up in the system. Air in the cooling system will cause an issue because the steam/air reads a different temp than liquid/antifreeze. You need to have the system properly flushed/filled. We use a system that pulls a vacuum on the cooling system before it fills. This does two things, first it ensures the integrity of the cooling system and ensures no leaks, second it removes any and or all trapped air from the system. This is NOT a flush machine, it is a vacuum refill machine ask around at some of your local garages and see if they have one. As far as the power steering noise it is almost certainly an air issue. In my experience if the system stops making noise after some short running time this tells me that the system is self bleeding the trapped air. Now the question is where is the air entering the system from. If you are not seeing any external leaks I would check the power steering rack bellows where the inner tie rod end goes into the rack. This is a common placed for the power steering system to leak and go unnoticed for a very long time. Most of the time we will just poke a small hole in the bottom of each left and right bellows and see if oil starts to drip out. If so it is time for a new rack. Keep in mind that the noise you are hearing is due to "cavitation" occurring inside the pump, this can ONLY be caused by the liquid pump trying to pump an air pocked thus creating your whining noise, that is as long as your wife is not sitting beside you saying "why don't we just get rid of this damn thing, I want a new car! I hate this car!" I would NOT be installing a fairly expensive TPS sensor without first verifying that my old sensor was bad first. The test for this sensor is fairly straight forward and simple.

Hope this helps. Nate
Nate,

Thanks for the awesome response!

I will check around for sure tomorrow on the Vacuum refill machine for the cooling system. I have a buddy that has a radiator shop I should go see him I guess and see if he has or knows someone that has one. Thanks for the tip. It would be super cool if all it was wa s a pocket of air causing my loss of heat inside my car and the weird airation in my radiator on full throttle as I explained earlier.

As far as the power steering noise and issue. I agree it is air for sure...and I might have found the culprit. I noticed a small line of fluid running down from the power steering pump feed pipe. I replaced the o-ring on this part when I replaced the pump last time with a factory o-ring from Toyota, but its gotta be my issue. 35 dollar part on driftmotion...ouch!!!! I don't really lose fluid...maybe a 1/8th of a cup in the last 2 months if that...I never noticed the fluid leaking from there before so maybe it is just the weakest link in the system? I will probably pop a hole in th rack bellows just to check for fluid to rule that out. I have been thinking for somethime now that it must be the rack as I had replaced everything else...some things more than once. lol

And finally on the tps sensor. It is the only code my car is throwing...code 47..which is for the tps. I have been experiencing idle surging or involuntary revving at startup 9 times of ten I start my car...loud enough people look at me, and it has a hard time returning to an even idle after revving sometimes but not always. I will definitely test the current sensor before I replace it with the new one for sure. But I needed to have a replacement on hand as I am pretty sure it is my curprit at least on the idle surging. I dont wanna have to take apart my throttle body and mess with the tps sensor(s) more than I have to. If it ends up not being the issueI guess I have a new Toyota TPS to sell on here or keep for the future.

I will be sure and post an update tomorow and let you all know what I found out and hopefully soon I have some good news. If anyone else has any additions to the fine advice being given here feel free to chime in.

Thanks again Nate and Mecheng!

Last edited by SupraDremr; 06-23-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 06:09 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Update:

Well I uninstalled the ps pump and throttle body the other day. I tested the tps and it was indeed faulty. So I installed thenew tps sensor and got it adjusted and reinstalled. Seems to not have the surging idle anymore and it seems to run a little smoother now. +1 for the car...I have not had any extra cash to have the cooling system vacuum filled but I have flushed the system again with water for 5 minutes and filled it with the car on jacks. Thermostat is still removed. Takes the car a bit longer to warm up but eventually gets right to the center of the temp gauge and stays there or lower no matter if its a 45 minute stop in go in traffic in town drive or a 45 minute freeway ride. However, I get a froth when I ramp up the throttle... with the radiator cap removed...If I apply the throttle i see the increase in flow in the radiator from the water pump moving faster but it brings up a foam in the radiator. Not oily, no rainbows or oil feel to it, but foam none the less. I thought maybe my heater core was the culprit causing me to have no heat and might be also causing the froth or foam to appear...So I bypassed the heater core altogether and still I have the issue. Also interesting,when I let off the throttle the foam subsides a little but doesnt go away completely however when the car is left to sit 98% of it goes away. Only comes back when I apply heavy throttle. Not losing a noticeable amount of coolant and no leaks that I can tell except the power steering one but that update is next. Totally would think a head gasket but it runs smooth and temps are golden even on long drives city or highway, no overheating ever. Starting to think the vsv must be my issue as to why I am not gting heat...Think I will hook up the lines I hooked up when I pbypassed the heater vsv and heater core and just straight pipe the heater core. See if I get heat then...WOnt solve the foaming issue but baby steps is all I seem to get when I get them on this car lately...lol

The power steering issue. I mentioned before that I found a small leak on the power seering pump right where the feed hose from the resovoir goes into the actual pump...Like the o-ring wasnt seated properly. I took it apart and reseated the part into the pump but the leak was worse. Frustrated I put the piece in and jb welded it on to the pump...waited a day, and reinstalled and filled with fluid and immediately it leaked fluid on the underside of the metal piece with the oring same as before. Only now the flow of fluid empties my resovoir by over half in a drive to work...way faster than it was leaking before but in the same spot. I know the power steering system is insanely pressureized but seriously? My next thought is to have the pump and part welded at a shop to make the seal permanent for sure and then see whet happens...I did replace the oring with a toyota factory replacement for a supra before I used the jb weld I Was just getting kinda pissed at that point trying the best sealer I had at the moment to seal it! Could a bad rack cause excessive pressure? Has anyone else experienced a leak here? What did you do to remedy it?

Still frustrated but I know I will get it figured out...help as always is appreciated very much so.

Thanks for reading along !
Old 07-01-14, 06:42 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Here I will post a few videos so you guys can be a little more in tune with what exactly is happening.

First video is the radiator... I open the cap and rev it up a few times and you can see the foam bubble out. Again no temp issues at all and car runs fine. Dipstick is clean and no oil in the radiator. Blowing my mind where its coming from...

Second video is the power steering resovoir and then a close up of the leak spot and the leak.
Hope these help you guys help me out here.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-14, 08:40 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

That foam doesnt seem normal. I would recommend doing a compression test. You should also get a fan shroud for the clutch fan that you have.