Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery Drain

Old 06-01-14, 09:23 AM
Sylexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain

Hello all, I've come to y'all today to give you the low down on what my SC400 is doing and maybe see who might know the solution or at least has an idea.

Here are some of the issues/symptoms I've noticed my SC has:

-In November 2013 my PS took out my Alternator, I had it replaced along with all faulty power steering hoses.

-November 2013 I also replaced my Battery.

-Recently I've been without job and not enough money to put gas in her to drive her everyday to get a charge and when I do, if I don't drive it for about 2 days it dies.

-About a month ago my cousin took it to Auto Zone and had the battery tested and fully charged, he told me they said the battery was fine and the battery probably lasted about 2 weeks before it started dying again. I doubt the battery is fine myself, however I do not have a multi-meter to test it.

-I have checked all fuses and none are blown.

-I removed the factory CD changer and amp since I don't use the radio to see if this helped, still dies. (Also recorded video with my phone of the trunk light turning off when it's closed so that's not the issue.)

-I removed the radio/dome light fuse(s) to see if I had a drain, still dies.

-When positive terminal is removed from the battery, car stays on. (I know this is bad to do, I didn't do this ''test'' my cousin did)

I know I really need to get a multi-meter to test everything, but wanted to see if anyone had an idea. Without this issue she drives just fine for me which is what makes this so frustrating.

Edit: I will note that the car is bone stock other than cut off exhaust, no aftermarket alarm or radio components other than speakers (that wouldn't work because the wiring is bad, but still haven't taken them back out.) It is not lowered so I do not believe the harness in the fender well has not been damaged.

Last edited by Sylexus; 06-01-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 11:09 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

when my car had a bad parasitic battery drain, it turned out to be the trunk light that never turned off. Pulled the bulb and problem solved
Old 06-01-14, 11:20 AM
Sylexus
Driver

Yeah I made sure it wasn't that so I took video with my phone and closed it in the trunk and it turned off.
Old 06-01-14, 01:10 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylexus
Yeah I made sure it wasn't that so I took video with my phone and closed it in the trunk and it turned off.
I don't have anything to add other than to commend you for that creative solution.
Old 06-01-14, 03:30 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Sc sitting/no use for long periods drains the battery because the memory chip that operates continuously. I had this problem with mine and bought a battery float to keep the battery from dying. Or you can disconnect the +/- connectors.
Old 06-01-14, 05:04 PM
DiozKhan
Driver School Candidate

I had an issue similar to this but on VW Jetta, Issue causing it was seat warmers staying on. But besides that it could be a multiple of things with out proper testing.
I'd say your best options are to get a multimeter or a quick battery disconnect. What ever floats your boat should work just fine
EX.
Old 06-01-14, 05:49 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of SC's have this problem. I always thought it was the immobilizer. Could also be a bad ground somewhere.
Old 06-01-14, 06:21 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Since you guys mentioned the trunk light, I'm curious if the little light for the CD changer could be a culprit as well. I put in a brand new battery and it went dead after a few weeks. I'm wondering if it could be more than the immobilizer. I have my car on a battery tender now though but still curious.
Old 06-01-14, 09:53 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt its the CD changer light.

I left my dome light on when I left my car at the airport and went to Vegas for a number of days last year. Came back and the car started no problem. Yes I did have a new battery (luckily), but these guys are saying that even new batteries get drained.
I have a low mileage SC (75k) that has spent its life in a warm, non-salty climate. So I'm thinking my grounds are all perfectly fine, and not corroded/worn away due to age. However, my old SC, exact same year/model, but with 180k did have parasitic loss. Again, I'm thinking the higher mileage contributing to more wear and tear on ground contact locations.
Old 06-02-14, 12:14 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This probably doesn't make sense, but I had a very similar issue with our SC. I'd replaced the alternator and the battery and it'd still die after just a few days of non-use. While idling, I was getting about 14.4 on the battery which made this even more baffling. Also a couple times while driving, the car would just have a total electric failure, but the battery drain had gone on for about 5 years.

I then did part of the "3 step ground process":
-Connected the neg post of the battery to chassis - near the left suspension pillar after dremeling the paint off to get good contact.
-made an engine to frame connection. Used one of the bolts on the intake plenum to another pillar bolt , again took some paint off to it'd connect to bare metal.

-while under the car for something else, I discovered where the stock engine-frame wire was (see my post). It's on the left side of the transmission just to the right of the cat and connects to the frame on the left side of the cat.

Look for my post on this subject - I posted a pic of where the stock wire is. It's pretty much right under the driver's seat from what I remember. I took these connections off and cleaned them really well.
-I didn't do the + to the + post of the alternator. I just didn't think that was worth it.

Since I did these, the 'draining' issue disappeared and it hasn't died. I'd say first get a cheap multimeter, but the easiest, cheapest thing you could do is probably clean the stock ground connection.

I found the link with the pics. Good luck and let us know how it goes..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ing-issue.html