Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Head Gasket Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 10:28 AM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA-T Head Gasket Selection

Sup all! I'm finally ready to bolt my rebuilt GE head to the GE block (with GTE pistons) and am trying to source the right head gasket.

From what I've read, using GTE pistons with a GE head, head gasket and combustion chamber will achieve 9.03:1 compression.

Additionally, the only place I can find an OEM head gasket seems to be at the Lexus or Toyota dealership for around $189.

I purchased an Evergreen gasket set for the GE but was told to not use the head gasket that came with it.

This is the info I read regarding head gadget selection thus far.

GE combustion chamber (head, gasket, piston) 55.5cc
+ GTE head gasket extra 6.04cc Gives .085”(2.15mm) squish
= 61.54cc = 9.12: 1

GE combustion chamber (head, gasket, piston ) 55.5cc
+ GTE piston extra 6.7cc Gives std GE squish .045"(1.14mm)
= 62.2cc = 9.03: 1

GTE combustion chamber (head, gasket, piston) 66.6cc
+ GE piston minus 6.7cc Gives std GTE squish .055"(1.4mm)
= 59.9cc = 9.34: 1

Here are my sources:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?682898-NA-t-BIBLE-things-you-need-to-know-for-your-NA-T-conversion&p=8946985&viewfull=1#post8946985

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm sitting here with a freshly rebuilt head and ARP undercut studs ready to bolt on. Finally...
Old 05-22-14, 11:36 AM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Default bump

Because

1 - I'm still stuck

2 - I knew it would get more attention in the 400 general forum but I chose to post here to avoid it being moved.

Thanks for looking
Old 05-22-14, 02:27 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy did this same build GTE pistons with GE head oversized valves ported head and so on.

He used a Cometic MLS .027" HG to achieve somewhere around 9.0 compression. The block and head have also been resurfaced which plays a roll as well.

http://www.cometic.com/automotive-gaskets.aspx

http://www.shopengineparts.com/parts...-GE+3.0L+93-97

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-14, 03:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think I missed the question, you have the ratios there, what ratio are you wanting?
If you don't know that at least what type of fuel you want to run and power goal ( I would assume pump gas from the gte pistons).
also as 8052jz mentioned whatever amount they shaved off the head will also raise compression some and should be factored in.

as long as too much material was not taken off and it was a normal shave .01", you would just run the GE gasket and have around 9:1. if you want to drop into the 8's for really high boost levels on pump gas then use a gte gasket, but its going to make your squish a little worse.
If it was shaved alot .020' or more you would probably want to just use a gte gasket anyways to make up for the removed material.
Old 05-22-14, 03:41 PM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
My buddy did this same build GTE pistons with GE head oversized valves ported head and so on.

He used a Cometic MLS .027" HG to achieve somewhere around 9.0 compression. The block and head have also been resurfaced which plays a roll as well.

http://www.cometic.com/automotive-gaskets.aspx

http://www.shopengineparts.com/parts...-GE+3.0L+93-97

Hope this helps!
Thanks a million!
That's exactly what I was wondering. I'll need to validate how much material was removed from the head and run the numbers once more to validate my target compression number.
Old 05-22-14, 03:50 PM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think I missed the question, you have the ratios there, what ratio are you wanting?
If you don't know that at least what type of fuel you want to run and power goal ( I would assume pump gas from the gte pistons).
also as 8052jz mentioned whatever amount they shaved off the head will also raise compression some and should be factored in.

as long as too much material was not taken off and it was a normal shave .01", you would just run the GE gasket and have around 9:1. if you want to drop into the 8's for really high boost levels on pump gas then use a gte gasket, but its going to make your squish a little worse.
If it was shaved alot .020' or more you would probably want to just use a gte gasket anyways to make up for the removed material.
I was hoping the forum bosses would check in

As stated above I'll double check the numbers but my main question was where to get the ge head gasket at a reasonable price and is the build quality of that oem part sufficient for my application?

The plan is to run off pump but I'm configuring the build to also support E85 for when I go Ferarri hunting

Shooting for 650hp to start then hopefully cap off around 800. Running Mega Squirt and I haven't gotten to the turbo selection yet.
Old 05-23-14, 08:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can get into the 600's likely on the 9:1 compression but prob not 800 on pump. on e85 no problem.
I would get a toyota gasket. The erisitic sets online look alot like the oem parts but are aftermarket. lots of people use them with sucess but for a high boost build an oem headgasket would be my route with arp headstuds. its a proven win win combination.

If you had any more than .02" removed just go with the gte gasket, unless you don't mind being close to mid 9's compression than 9.0. wouldn't be a problem for E85, but for pump gas you may have to limit the boost some. gte gasket could buy you some more overhead on pump though at the expense of some squish and having to run a some extra psi, but is not a bad idea either to give you more overhead on pump gas.

The ge gaskets are a single layer type gasket, and its extremely difficult to blow these, usually you end up warping the head and loose the seal that way... similar with a gte gasket, but the gte is multiple layers of metal stamped together, so there is more room for fudging and sealing.
Old 05-24-14, 12:09 PM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Thanks ALI and 8052jZ for your help!

I ordered the 2JZGE OEM head gasket from the local Lexus dealership yesterday and it arrived today so i'll be installing it all tomorrow or monday.

Spoke w/ the cylinder head shop and they said they removed very, very little material during decking as the head was in great shape when they got it.

To Summarize: I'm going with the OEM 2JZGE HG, Head and Combustion Chamber w/ 2JZGTE pistons to achieve 9.03:1 compression.

Old 05-25-14, 06:04 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great choice as i've been of the standard ge head , block and gte hg for over 4yrs at 600 rwhp on pump gas

if your pocket can afford it , i would go with some 9:0 cr cp or wiseco gte styled pistons ( which is what im currently doing with my motor build) and still use the ge hg and upgraded arp 625 bolts so you can really trq that thin hg correctly and this will yield closer to a 9:6 ish cr .. perfect for e85 and still tameable under pump gas with a solid tune/tuner who will keep timing on softer side for pump gas ..

doing this will yield extremely pleasing off boost driving , quicker spoolup and more power at lower boost threshold
Old 05-29-14, 08:12 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

There is always plenty options and choices. If you were decided to run straight e85 all the time then the GE gasket would be just fine as e85 loves high compression, but if you r going to be in between 2 maps, a pump gas and e85, i would go with the GTE gasket. Gives you room to play with boost. And a good tuner plays a good role in it. GL