Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

washed my engine, now guess what........

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 07:13 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washed my engine, now guess what........

I have a 1992 sc300.
So a couple days ago I decided to clean my engine bay with a water hose. I've cleaned other cars with a pressure washer and since I didn't have one at the time I used a water hose. The next morning I went out to turn on my car and it wouldnt start. So I figured water got in the spark plug alley and was not getting spark. Sure enough there was a puddle of water. So I took out the pre intake and got all the water out. Put all the wires back and still wouldn't start. So I went into semi diagnosis mode and put some brake cleaner inside the intake. Still no start. So I took out the spark plugs and put it inside the cylinders. Just a bit. Not enough to hydrolock. Still no start. So that cancles out injectors and fuel pump. Next step is spark. Check wire for spark, nothing. Check coil for spark. Nothing. :/
At this point I though it was the coil but I put my dads 94 toyota pickup truck coil on it and still no spark. I took out the igniter and tested it at autozone, they said it worked. I even saw the test and all good. So back in goes the igniter. Later I found a crack in the distributor housing and new it was trash. So I took it aapart and the rotor was burnt out and the pick up coil inside was cracked. So I ordered a new distributor, rotor, and cap. Still no spark. So what I did from there was check the coil wires for ppositive. It had positive but it only gets ground on certain rotation. Igniter has power and ground. Only problem is distributo isn't getting any power. Neither with the power switched on or off. Idk if that's the way its supposed to be or not but I don't think so.
Engine rotates freely and all fuses are fine. I don't know where to look from here. Please help. I need my baby. All and any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-13, 07:25 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the wire connectors for water build up.
Old 06-15-13, 07:23 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

I have. Anything related to spark as in igniter, coil and distributor. If there's anything else related please let me know.
Old 06-17-13, 06:43 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Anything? I know you guys got something. I need my car my this weekend. Please help.
Old 06-17-13, 07:19 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

My response to guess what was gonna be you cant use the search(or google) anywho it sounds like you yanked out the distributor and swapped in a new one? did you set the engine to tdc before doing so?
Old 06-17-13, 08:02 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

I have used search on this website. Google. And supraforums. Nothing comes up close. I didn't put it at tdc but I put it back in the exact same tooth. The problem was there before I replaced the distributor though. I only replaced the distributor cause of a crack in the housing. And also the distributor connector isn't getting any power. I don't know if that's right or wrong but my guess would be wrong. Where do all the distributor wires come from?
Old 06-18-13, 06:17 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

So if I'm understanding this, you're getting absolutely no spark anywhere at all?
What happens when you turn the key to on without trying to start the car?
Have you had a look at your fuses/fuse able links?
Old 06-18-13, 06:35 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i see a thread like this at least twice a week
Old 06-18-13, 10:08 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

fusible links, no. fuses, yes. all my fuses everywhere are good. on both fuse boxes.
what do you mean when i turn the key to on. the lights turn on in the dashboard.
i get power to my coil. i used a test light to check for power at the coil, (yes power). distributor, (no power). igniter, (yes power.)
i turn the key and the engine cranks and turns but doesnt turn over. no spark anywhere.
i'm actually trying to get a wiring diagram for the igniter and distributor. i need to see where the distributor is supposed to be getting power from. if its the, igniter, which wire? when i find out which wire, i'll check for continuity between the wires of the distributor and igniter. if that makes sense.
Old 06-18-13, 10:31 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

if you guys need, i'll post a video up tomorrow of exactly what im talking about. everything that goes on.
Old 06-19-13, 11:52 AM
soflo99
Driver

When you turn your key you get absolutely nothing? I feel like I'm missing something here...
Edit: and I was I should learn how to read.
Old 06-19-13, 03:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpi300
I have used search on this website. Google. And supraforums. Nothing comes up close. I didn't put it at tdc but I put it back in the exact same tooth. The problem was there before I replaced the distributor though. I only replaced the distributor cause of a crack in the housing. And also the distributor connector isn't getting any power. I don't know if that's right or wrong but my guess would be wrong. Where do all the distributor wires come from?
this is difficult to get right especially when its not even the same distributor.
set it to TDC and do it right. its hard enough to get it right the first try tdc.
you don't really know if your new distributor works im guessing, and the distributor has the cam and crank sensors inside of it and those are those 3 wires and a ground makes 4 wires. they go from the distributor to the ecu, and the car cant run without that connected and them working. there is no power wire the distributor makes the signals.

also check your plugs or clean them at the least, I would replace them after they go for a swim. You shouldn't need any brake fluid, usually removing the water fixes the problem. check the fuse boxes make sure you didn't pop a relay or fuse especially for the efi or fuel maybe you got water on something else important like the maf wires or something.
Old 06-20-13, 12:14 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Default i added a link to the video i made. please click on link.

let me start off by saying i have not done any modifications to my car except adding a trans cooler, no electrical involved. and adding electrical fans which are tapped into the efi main relay. that's all. the fans only turn on when they reach a certain temperature due to my derale temperature switches. 1 for each fan. everything was working fine. up until i wet the engine. heres the wiring diagram and the video i made.

i really dont know how to add the video to this forum instead of just the link. but here it is. please watch. aliga, you were mention in this video to. i know your good with these cars too.
O.L.T. was the member i was thinking of. he's the electrical guru on this forum.
please let me know if anything else i should try.

Last edited by grumpi300; 06-20-13 at 12:48 AM. Reason: figured out how to add video.
Old 06-20-13, 09:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I was expecting a video of you guys trying to start the car so we could hear what it sounds like.
set the motor to TDC and install the distributor the proper way
Old 06-21-13, 09:19 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

id start with what ali said...making sure the motor is at tdc then re installing the distributor

Quick Reply: washed my engine, now guess what........