Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ GTE VVTI no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 01:38 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1JZ GTE VVTI no spark

Hello!

Im obviously new on here since this is my first post but I appreciate all the information ive gotten here so far.

I just swapped a 1jz vvti into my '83 Ra64 celica with a w58. The 1jz is a jzs171 a/t. The engine cranks but wont start.

I applied power to the IGSW pin, so i have power coming out of the MREL pin to efi relay and back to the computer going to B2 and B+. The engine cranks, I DO have injector pulse (checked via noid lights), and I DO have fuel pressure. so it appears as if i have no spark. Is there a good way to check if i have an ignition signal? Ive been referencing a JZS161 2jzgte pinout (jzs171 is hard to come by) which has actually been 100% accurate so far. The ecu plugs are identical and the wires have done what the pinout says they should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for a good way to check if im getting an ignition signal, or a way to force an ignition signal to get this thing started,
Old 05-07-14, 05:48 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the lead off number one cyl, place a spark plug in it and lay it against the intake. Crank over and watch for spark. Check igniter and cam/crank sensors.
Old 05-07-14, 05:51 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

I also believe I have 171 diagrams, email me at elevatedmotorworks@gmail.com and ill see if I can get my new router working tomorrow. I'd be able to forward them to you If I can.
Old 05-07-14, 08:24 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

Sweet, I appreciate it!

Ive pulled off a plug wire and verified I have no spark. Also, after the engine cranks over 4-5 times i lose injector pulse. I believe the computer does that on purpose to prevent backfire/fouled plugs if it doesnt detect ignition right away. Nonetheless i need to get spark somehow and that should correct both issues. I'll get in there and double check i have grounds where i need them and so on. Ill shoot you an email for those diagrams, thank you!

Any other pointers on testing cam sensors or the ignitor would be helpful but i'll do some research in the meantime and see if i can figure it out.
Old 05-07-14, 08:43 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u put power to all the black/white striped wires on that blue plug? that is all the injector / ignitor power. u can check to verify u have 12v coming to injectors / igniter when the ignition is on

if u have that, then u gotta figure out why ECU is not powering up all the way to put out pulses to them. is your B+ and B1+ getting power on the ecu when the MREL output turns the ignition relay on?

time to bust out the voltmeter and start poking
Old 05-07-14, 09:49 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like an igf circuit issue. Confirm cam/crank sensor stuff and igniter circuits. Ill find some wifi tomorrow morning and reply to your email.
Old 05-07-14, 10:40 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by estomax
did u put power to all the black/white striped wires on that blue plug? that is all the injector / ignitor power.
hmmm I dont have a blue plug anywhere that i can see :/

@vrank I will check cam and crank sensors sometime tomorrow and see if i find anything out of place.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-08-14, 06:31 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

You have no blue plug most likely. That's a jzx100 thing, guessing that guy was assuming that all vvti 1j are similar in that dept when they're not. That's jzx100 specific. Soarer vvti gets power and does everything else like the later non vvti gte soarers did, and 171 is similar to IS/gs/aristo vvti. I'm just getting up, tossed my notebook in the car, and will find somewhere to eat with wifi shortly and get back to you. As for testing, I'd go through continuity to make sure the circuits are in order. I'm guessing you might need my diagrams to help that, and also assuming you can't pull codes.

I will say this. I think the dbw 171/110 ecus are gay. I'd do a jzx100 ecu all day for simplicity. They're like obd1 ecus, basically "dumb" as I like to call it where they will run great in a minimalist state, no bs. I'm also a firm believer in this ecu running a stock or bolt on aristo vvti engine for less headaches/piggyback goodness.
Old 05-08-14, 03:17 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

update:

Did a little bit of testing a minute ago when it got slow at work. Checked the power and ground wires at the igniter and found I DONT have power. I'll apply power a little bit later when im off and see if i can get it to fire. I really hope thats all it is, everything APPEARS to be in place other than that.
Old 05-08-14, 03:20 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

that should be it. Also, sent the email finally. You got all the 171/110 stuff I have
Old 05-08-14, 03:58 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vrank
that should be it. Also, sent the email finally. You got all the 171/110 stuff I have
Thanks man!

Still cranks but no start. I have injector pulse for two cranks and it goes away. No spark. Looks like ill be double checking all my inputs/outputs again.. :/
Old 05-08-14, 04:55 PM
ETHANRA64
Driver School Candidate

Runs! didnt have a ground to the igniter,

Thanks guys!
Old 08-23-17, 10:42 AM
is200gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any ECU diagram for JZS171 available?
I am trying to Swap a Crown 1JZ engine on to my 1st Gen IS200 and i am out of luck...
Old 04-05-18, 10:17 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sorry not sorry gonna revive this biznatch to see if anyone of the previous ppl that asked could please send me the JZS 171 pinouts. I only have ECU and ECT diagrams and need a more to complete the swap