Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!!! Drive Train Experts> Grinding/whine noise from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 09:03 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP!!! Drive Train Experts> Grinding/whine noise from rear end

Having a bit of an issue and not exactly sure what to troubleshoot. Hoping someone with some knowledge can help me get this sorted out.

Drive train:
Rebuilt R154 Redline MT-90 fluid, 3.5" DM Aluminum drive shaft, TT auto Diff 3.76 gearing with a TRD LSD Royal Purple Gear MAX LSD fluid.

Issue #1
When doing slow turns either left or right, I can hear some sort of clunking or perhaps grinding coming from what I believe to be the rear diff. When I Drive in a circle, there is no clunking or grinding noise?

Issue #2
The other thing I noticed when going in a straight line from any speed there is whine noise as well. Maybe it have something to do with issue #1. When speeding up the whine gets louder and louder. Same goes with decel but "whines" down until a full stop is made. Almost sounds like something is rubbing. I checked tire clearance to wheel well and there is plenty of room so the tire shouldn't be rubbing against anything.

Any help would be great. This is the only thing holding me back from getting on the dyno minus tweaking the Tune some.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-14, 09:33 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 - I've read some types of the LSDs are prone to making noise in corners. I think it's the clutch type as the clutches wear. Don't know what the TRD one is.

#2 - Assuming the LSD wasn't factory installed, the ring and pinion are probably not set up 100% properly and the whine is gear whine. Setting up gears is an art that a lot of people haven't mastered.

Either way should probably get it checked out by a highly reputable diff shop.
Old 04-24-14, 09:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah really sort of sounds like the diff but I have never tore one down to know how to help you with that. I have read about the pre-load and the setting up of the gears but consensus is usually take it to a shop.
Old 04-24-14, 10:07 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Prior to installing the Diff I had a local 4x4 shop that had setup many axles before take a look at it and he said by just the feel of the gears, "everything feels good, Id run it"

The TRD LSD is a 2 way and Ive searched on SF and it seems like all of them don't have any noise coming from the LSD.

Is there anything I could check on the car before I actually have to take the diff out and home someone take a look at it?

Last edited by 8052JZ; 04-24-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 11:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Not sure if it would be helpful but I would jack the rear wheels up and start spinning the tires one side at a time and see if you can hear or feel anything catching inside the diff. you could try turning the driveshaft also to simulate the input side of the diff but that might prove difficult to actually do.
Old 04-24-14, 02:13 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bearing

Sounds exactly like one of your rear wheel bearings is going out. Mine was doing the exact same thing as yours except the grinding/whining stopped when I was turning.
Old 04-24-14, 02:27 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Not sure if it would be helpful but I would jack the rear wheels up and start spinning the tires one side at a time and see if you can hear or feel anything catching inside the diff. you could try turning the driveshaft also to simulate the input side of the diff but that might prove difficult to actually do.
I did that last night and it was tough to turn the tire/wheel due to the LSD. I could hear something catching but I'm assuming it was the LSD unlocking and It didn't sound the same when both wheels on the pavement and doing a slight turn. Ill check again and try to make a video.

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
Sounds exactly like one of your rear wheel bearings is going out. Mine was doing the exact same thing as yours except the grinding/whining stopped when I was turning.
Funny thing is I was thinking the same but I cant seem to understand why this would happen right after the build was finished. Its only been on the street for about an hour total. Before the build, there was no whine at all before it hit the garage and got torn down?!? So I'm guess it has to be something with the new parts that where swapped in. Like the TT auto Diff with TRD LSD in it.
Old 04-24-14, 03:13 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bearing

I read the instructions for changing the bearing including the need for a special press and just went out and pulled the entire wheel hub assembly off another car at a pick a part place. Maybe you have the proper tools to just do the bearing, I didn't.
Old 04-26-14, 05:27 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Prior to installing the Diff I had a local 4x4 shop that had setup many axles before take a look at it and he said by just the feel of the gears, "everything feels good, Id run it"

The TRD LSD is a 2 way and Ive searched on SF and it seems like all of them don't have any noise coming from the LSD.

Is there anything I could check on the car before I actually have to take the diff out and home someone take a look at it?
Both my MKIVs have TRD lsd and I would confirm that there is no noise from the LSD.

As Ali has noted , did you notice any noise coming from the wheel hub/bearings which was the problem I had at one point in time ?
Old 04-26-14, 07:25 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy fix, that that diff out and put a regular non lsd diff in there that comfirm...
Old 04-27-14, 04:07 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Both my MKIVs have TRD lsd and I would confirm that there is no noise from the LSD.

As Ali has noted , did you notice any noise coming from the wheel hub/bearings which was the problem I had at one point in time ?
I checked the passenger side wheel and seems pretty snug from side to side and up and down. how much movement should there be to confirm a bad wheel bearing?!

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Easy fix, that that diff out and put a regular non lsd diff in there that comfirm...
I was thinking the same thing to just to rule out diff.

Also sense I replaced all the suspension stuff in the rear with the BV parts, no alignment has been done yet. With not having an alignment done cause the tires to whine?!? These are fresh 315 R888s
Old 04-27-14, 04:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

what all did you replace with BV parts? that could have something to do with it double check you install =ed the swaybar end links the right way.
Old 04-27-14, 05:43 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Everything was replaced. adjustable upper control arms, traction bars, toe bar I think it was its called, TRD sway bars with adjustable end links.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8343723-post502.html
Old 04-27-14, 05:50 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the preload on the diff might not be quite right..I believe it can cause some of the noises you are describing
Old 04-27-14, 11:50 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i'm having the same issue that i haven't figured out. i have a supra auto diff in mine as well and randomly theres a squeeky grinding type of noise on the right side. the wheels and hubs dont get hot so the bearing isn't creating friction. my diff looks to be leaking so i'm gonna take it out and open it up and change the oil in it when i have a full day to work on it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Drive Train Experts> Grinding/whine noise from rear end