Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Burning smell under the car?low idle on start-up

Old 04-07-14, 09:37 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell under the car?low idle on start-up

I have a 93 5spd with 150k.I have been trying to diagnose and fix my low/rough idle at start up in warm/hot weather since last year but,can't figure it out.Now for the past week when I drive on the hwy and come off to a stop there is a strong burning smell coming from under the car.It's not a rubber or plastic smell but,almost like a metallic smell?Only thing I can think of is it might be the cat?

I have:
replaced coil,distributor,wires,plugs
replaced coolant sensor,02 sensors
fixed ecu leak
checked/cleaned hoses,pcv,maf,egr etc

I'm at a lost.

Any help or advice?

Thanks
Old 04-08-14, 12:25 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Bump for any feedback on the smell?
Old 04-08-14, 03:34 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Listen closely, if there is a hissing noise, that means there's an exhaust leak. Look for cracks in the resenators and catalytic convereters...are the red hot?
Old 04-09-14, 06:44 AM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Listen closely, if there is a hissing noise, that means there's an exhaust leak. Look for cracks in the resenators and catalytic convereters...are the red hot?
I think I have found the smell which was a burning/floral smell.When I got under the car there was some kind of plaster similar to liquid nails melted on before the Y pipe so I scrapped it off.We will see about that but,now that you mentioned the hissing noise I have noticed past few months with the window down when I get on it and shift there is a hiss sound very similar to a soft blow off valve coming from the engine bay.Any ideas where to start?I looked for leaks while I was under the car but,I didn't see any black exhaust residue where any leak would be ?
Old 04-09-14, 07:10 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4r34
I think I have found the smell which was a burning/floral smell.When I got under the car there was some kind of plaster similar to liquid nails melted on before the Y pipe so I scrapped it off.We will see about that but,now that you mentioned the hissing noise I have noticed past few months with the window down when I get on it and shift there is a hiss sound very similar to a soft blow off valve coming from the engine bay.Any ideas where to start?I looked for leaks while I was under the car but,I didn't see any black exhaust residue where any leak would be ?
I have a crack in the weld on my "CA Emissions" resanator that is empty and not used. If the hissing is coming from the engine bay, I doubt it is an exhaust leak you're hearing, but you might as well check the exhaust manifold, then all the way down to the resenator.

Does liqiud nail smell like fuel...?
Old 04-09-14, 07:25 AM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I have a crack in the weld on my "CA Emissions" resanator that is empty and not used. If the hissing is coming from the engine bay, I doubt it is an exhaust leak you're hearing, but you might as well check the exhaust manifold, then all the way down to the resenator.

Does liqiud nail smell like fuel...?
I'll take another look later.I know the manifold is practically seized on.The smell is weird.It smelled like something was hot and then it was a floral smell?It was putty that was melted ob the pipe.I do smell a rich smell on start up though.