Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bowl full of spaghetti- I mean unknown vacuum lines.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 05:33 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bowl full of spaghetti- I mean unknown vacuum lines.

After going through and doing my VC gaskets and removing/cleaning/refinishing my intake plenum, I'm left with the thought that I should have marked my vacuum lines and where they go.

I'll probably wait until tomorrow when there's light to get good pictures, but I know I do need to replace one hose and dammit if I don't know what it's called or what its purpose is. It's the larger of the two lines that connects to the front of the plenum. Mine has become so hard that it won't slip over the nipple without breaking. It's the one on the right side of the following picture, coming up from the lower side of the engine alongside the hose that goes to the intake pipe.

(Picture from Lextreme)

Anyone with a '95 400 willing to take detailed pictures of their vacuum lines and where they start + stop, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 03-24-14 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 05:54 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I deleted mine when i changed my power steering high pressure hose to the stainless steel braided driftmotion one cause it deletes the vacuum module. But it just leads to it same with that short one that you dont have attached to the intake.
Old 03-24-14, 07:26 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Right, I got that part. What is it called though? I just need to know what to buy when I get to the parts store. Or, I guess I could just buy a length of same-sized tube.

I got some pictures here. They may not be great, I'll try to get some with ambient lighting tomorrow. Again, any detailed pictures of where these hoses shown start/end (both sides) or what hoses connect to the ports shown would be much appreciated. Not pictured, do to my lack of contortionist skills, is small nipple on the backside of the plenum, facing the firewall. What goes there?

1) I don't know what this valve is. The nipple uncovered needs a hose. Where should the hose attached to the other nipple go to?

2) The hose in my fingers is attached to the far side of that small valve. Where should it go?

3) One of the nipples on top of the throttle body was capped before I began fiddling. I think I moved it, but don't know which one it was. One was uncapped, and had no hose. Which nipple gets a hose, and where does that hose attach on the other end?

4) This hardline runs of from the back of the engine. Where does it go?

5) I've seen some cars have this hose attached to this valve running to the small nipple on the front of the plenum. I've seen some where the nipple on the plenum has a hose running from the driver's side to it. Thoughts?

6) This should run to the intake tube, no?

7) Another shot of the hose attached to that valve on the passenger's side of the plenum.

8) This little valve has two nipples (Maybe a third on the backside?) The two nipples visible in the picture- where do the hoses that attach to it go?

9) Another shot of the hard line coming from the back of the engine.

10)

11) Where does the small line on this canister go to?

12) A valve on near the diagnostic port, driver's side. Where should this hose attach?

Last edited by MongooseGA; 03-24-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 02:51 PM
Tam4511
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there should be a diagram on your hood.
Old 03-25-14, 08:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Win:

What I don't see in this diagram is where the hardline at the back of the engine goes, and what attaches to the the nipple on the backside of the plenum?
Old 03-26-14, 08:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think the black vsv with the 2 nipples, is for the charcoal canister or EVAP.
meaning the line missing looks like it should run from the vsv nipple to the smaler vac line on the charcoal canister you are also wondering where it goes, usually vac lines go from intake manifold > vsv > charcoal canister.

you sure those extra hoses at the back you are wondering about aren't coolant hoses for the throttle body opr something around that area.
really should always take pics before you start dismantling any vac hoses.
Old 03-26-14, 04:38 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

The hard line in the picture is in fact a coolant flowing hose. I've looked around the area and haven't seen any nipple for it to go to. Thoughts?
Old 03-26-14, 07:23 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

So I think I've got it all sorted.

Got all of the vacuum lines accounted for and all of the nipples covered by said lines. I even went ahead a replace the rubber line that run from the front of the plenum down to the lower passenger's side of the engine. Mine were so old that just trying to put the larger one back on the nipple caused it to crack every time.

Tomorrow I just need to buy 2 hose clamps for the larger coolant hose under the throttle body and button everything back up. If all is well and she's runs right, I'll post detailed pictures in this thread to help anyone else out in the future.

Oh, and that hard line at the back of the engine went on the bottom of the throttle body. D'oh!