Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Refresher Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 06:42 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Refresher Build Help

So i'm currently in the process of doing a refresher build on my the 1JZ/R154 in my Soarer. It only has original 50 000kms on it but i've already put on an HX35 Single setup ( Includes hx35 holset turbo, twin scroll manifold, 46mm external wastegate, full 3" turbo back, and front mount/bov ) in the car and am planning on getting cams (Possibly), fuel system, standalone, and tune here after the refresher build. Now my goal is for around 500whp so I figured I my as well freshen it up now and do the necessary maintenance and beefing up before i throw lots of boost and fuel at it.

Since i know how much everyone likes pictures here's a couple pics of the setup and what not after throwing on the Holset:

Now I have a few questions with the refresher build and would appreciate some tips and suggestions as well within reasonable terms.

First off here's a list of parts for my refresher build so far from DriftMotion:

-OEM Toyota 1JZ Timing Belt
-OEM Toyota 1JZ Timing Belt Idler Pulley
-OEM Toyota 1JZ Timing Belt Tensioner
-OEM Toyota 2JZ/1JZ Water Pump
-OEM Toyota 1JZ Oil Pump
-OEM Toyota Lower Timing Pulley With Tig Welded Trigger Wheel
-OEM Toyota 1JZ Engine Gasket Kit
-ARP Head Stud Kit
-1JZ Lightweight Pulley Kit
-1JZ Fluidampr Crank Pulley

I think that pretty much covers it for what I think I need but i'm not fully certain on what Head Gasket to run. The OEM Toyota 1JZ Head Gasket with the gasket kit or should I get a 2JZ-GTE or aftermarket head gasket for my goal? The head is at the machine shop getting cleaned up and surfaced so i need to figure it out ASAP so i know if i need to get anything milled off the head surface for a thicker metal head gasket.

Also another question I have is if the Lower Timing Pulley with Tig Welded Trigger Wheel is necessary in my case. Does this trigger wheel really cause problems frequently or should i just not bother?

Lastly i'd like to know if i'm possibly missing something crucial in the parts list for my refresher build or maybe something on there that i don't need to waste my time with.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-14, 09:01 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

why does your holset sit so high? mine doesnt sit like that at all
very nice work meisters btw. i like your gold touches. i also like gold on my car. you should replace the front and rear main too, as well as get a new thermostat. i just refreshed my 1j as well. i only replaced the front and rear main, re-sealed the oil pan with fipg and replaced the drain plug seal, replaced valve cover gaskets and cam seals, and got a new thermostat. imo you dont really need to replace the oil pump, but if you feel like you have to, theres no harm in that either. but imo its not necessary. you also dont need the pulley kit unless you want your engine to look nicer. i just re spray painted mine. other than that, looks like you got everything else covered

Last edited by wirelesstj; 03-16-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 09:42 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
why does your holset sit so high? mine doesnt sit like that at all
very nice work meisters btw. i like your gold touches. i also like gold on my car. you should replace the front and rear main too, as well as get a new thermostat. i just refreshed my 1j as well. i only replaced the front and rear main, re-sealed the oil pan with fipg and replaced the drain plug seal, replaced valve cover gaskets and cam seals, and got a new thermostat. imo you dont really need to replace the oil pump, but if you feel like you have to, theres no harm in that either. but imo its not necessary. you also dont need the pulley kit unless you want your engine to look nicer. i just re spray painted mine. other than that, looks like you got everything else covered
My Holset sits higher because the only decently priced twin scroll manifold with external pipe was from Driftmotion in a T4 setup and as you know the Holsets are T3 so I had my welder Fab me up a T3/T4 Adapter hence the extra couple inches in height.

But thanks, I do love em, especially in gold. And yeah i get front and rear main, valve cover gaskets, cam seals, etc. with the gasket set so definately doing all those. And i got a Mishimoto thermostat in there already after putting in the rad and fans setup in. And yeah was thinking oil pump and what not may not NEED to be replaced being as its only at 50 000 but i figured I my as well when everything is apart and spending all this money on everything. But yeah i just like the look of those pulleys and a cleaner look and what not but not enough to an extent where id have a non shock absorbing crank pulley to go along with it, doh haha
Old 03-16-14, 10:35 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

thick flange. i have a driftmotion manifold as well with a t3/t4 adapter plate from ebay. worked great. yea man, that 1jz gasket kit basically covers everything you need and then some. i think it gives a intake manifold gasket, which is pretty hard to get i hear. it only comes with that $300 kit
Old 03-17-14, 06:54 AM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

thick flange. i have a driftmotion manifold as well with a t3/t4 adapter plate from ebay. worked great. yea man, that 1jz gasket kit basically covers everything you need and then some. i think it gives a intake manifold gasket, which is pretty hard to get i hear. it only comes with that $300 kit
Yeah I was going to do the Ebay one but my welder wanted to make a nice beefy one for cheap so i went with it. But ah okay right on.

So if i'm gonna be throwing a decent amount of boost at this motor and wanna make some decent power around 500hp. The stock 1JZ head gasket is suffice ? Or should i maybe get a 2JZGTE gasket? Cause initially I was thnking metal head gasket like the tomei one driftmotion has but i've heard its a waste and you need to machine both head and block so most guys i see are just going with the 2JZ gasket.
Old 03-17-14, 09:03 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

1jz gasket is good enough. ive seen it handle 30 psi no problem for months now, of hard solid driving too. the 1j one will be fine
Old 03-17-14, 05:17 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

1jz gasket is good enough. ive seen it handle 30 psi no problem for months now, of hard solid driving too. the 1j one will be fine
Right on, saves me the money. I'll just stick with the 1JZ HG then. Thanks for the quick replies and help btw wirelesstj
Old 03-18-14, 09:09 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

i pay attention to threads that interest me haha. since you have a holset, that intruiged me. what ems will you be going with>?
Old 03-19-14, 05:57 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

i pay attention to threads that interest me haha. since you have a holset, that intruiged me. what ems will you be going with>?

Makes sense. But i'm going with HKS F-CON V Pro
Old 03-20-14, 12:29 AM
Abelo
Driver

finally more holset guys, love the build!! i just did the same thing, well actually i did my holset about 2 years ago but i wil finally be running some serious boost off it this summer, i was looking at aem v2 btw because i dont have the cash flow to spend on the hks models, plus the aem is a plug and play.

what are you doing for fuel?? rail, injectors, pump, lines??
Old 03-21-14, 04:33 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Abelo
finally more holset guys, love the build!! i just did the same thing, well actually i did my holset about 2 years ago but i wil finally be running some serious boost off it this summer, i was looking at aem v2 btw because i dont have the cash flow to spend on the hks models, plus the aem is a plug and play.

what are you doing for fuel?? rail, injectors, pump, lines??
Thanks man. but yeah same boat as me then too. Put the turbo kit on a year and some ago and finally starting to get it ready for some real boost and power now. And yeah I was considering the aemv2 as well but my tuner ( Reg at RCTS ) explained to me the major advantages of running with the HKS FCON V Pro and in the end with the amount of time itll take for him to actually install and tune each one properly will be about the same price in the end with the HKS F CON V Pro being a way better and more advanced EMS.

But i'm not really too sure on fuel system yet. Still trying to decide but Reg stresses that 1000cc Denso injectors would be the best route. Rail i'll probly go with a driftmotion rail and steel braid most of the lines as well. Maybe dual fuel pump as well But like i said i haven't put quite too much thought into the fuel system yet. Just freshening the motor up a bit here. One step at a time i guess lol