Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Should i swap out for a 2jz-gte oul pump(currently have a oem 1jz)
swap the oil pump for a 2jz unit(pull the damn engine)
33.33%
leave that ***** alone and do something else
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Should i get PUMPED, or just keep it the way it is!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 04:37 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should i get PUMPED, or just keep it the way it is!

so i have a dillema on my hands people. should i pull my stock oil pump off and get a 2jz-gte pump(i currently have the 1jz oem one on). iam not going to drift the car, but i am going to race and occasional hit the limiter.

the car has been running fine, but i remembered this article.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ump-comparison

and iam having nightmares of spun bearing. i need the conensus from the cl community on if is should pull the damn motor and swap this out(i don't want to) or leave it as it is??

Old 03-03-14, 05:52 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a reason related to your engine this has been on your mind, or are you just being paranoid/thinking preemptive? If you have the money and another vehicle to drive, there's no reason not to. It couldn't hurt anything. Gives you a chance to check the bearings and address any other concerns there may be.
Old 03-03-14, 08:13 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bingo, what he said ^^^^^^. If you don't have any signs and symtpoms of problems, then Jim I wouldn't fix what is not broken. I had the same thoughts and kept hearing the same thing- spun bearings. My cranks every time and I feel there is no power loss, or any other sign to make me inspect the clutch and or oil pump.
Old 03-03-14, 09:21 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

i have another 2 cars. point is i would have to go through the trouble of pulling the engine to make this happen, and i looked at the bottom end when i swapped out a rear sump oil pump during my 1st install.

i should had changed the pump at the time, but i was hemmoraging monies. and i seen this thread from supra mania(after) i got the engine installed.

maybe iam being paranoid. just don't want all the money and time spent in this ***** gone because of a weaker/smaller oil pump?
Old 03-03-14, 09:21 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

and vote people!!!
Old 03-03-14, 10:21 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your pulling the engine why not replace some other parts while you have it out....Cant go wrong with new Toyota Parts..
Old 03-03-14, 10:53 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

If it blows up throw a ge bottom end in it with a gte oil pump. Done.
Old 03-03-14, 12:41 PM
Hatchy400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
If it blows up throw a ge bottom end in it with a gte oil pump. Done.
You didn't read far enough down. You can ONLY replace a GTE oil pump with another GTE.
Old 03-03-14, 01:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would leave the 1jz pump till the next time it comes out, its meant for that engine and there is nothing wrong with it other than its a little smaller than a 2jzgte pump, and since the engine is a little smaller it makes sense to me that is should be fine.
he said to put on a ge bottom end, on a ge you can put on whatever oil pump but you may have too much oil pressure with a 2jzgte pump on a ge bottom end due to no oil quirters. on a ge block use the 96-97 2jzge oil pump with the crank sensor setup and you can bolt a gte head to that. you could use the gte pump on a ge block but I kept hearing people who did that complain about blowing the front main seal constantly.
Old 03-03-14, 01:40 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hatchy400
You didn't read far enough down. You can ONLY replace a GTE oil pump with another GTE.
There's nothing for me to read. You need to reread my post and, if it doesn't make sense, spend a lot more time getting familiar with these things.
Old 03-03-14, 01:41 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would leave the 1jz pump till the next time it comes out, its meant for that engine and there is nothing wrong with it other than its a little smaller than a 2jzgte pump, and since the engine is a little smaller it makes sense to me that is should be fine.
he said to put on a ge bottom end, on a ge you can put on whatever oil pump but you may have too much oil pressure with a 2jzgte pump on a ge bottom end due to no oil quirters. on a ge block use the 96-97 2jzge oil pump with the crank sensor setup and you can bolt a gte head to that. you could use the gte pump on a ge block but I kept hearing people who did that complain about blowing the front main seal constantly.

so you think the oil galley on the 1jz block is smaller/the same size as the oil galley on the 1jz oil pump??