Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 Loss of Power, Rough Idle, Not ECU, Any help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 05:49 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc400Jimmy
Thanks for the link, I read it and see he had an issue like mine. Unfortunately I think is things are getting a little out of my comfort zone and I may just have to throw the towel in. I believe I'm going to have to go ahead and take it to a mechanic on Monday.

It's hard to find videos on the different things that could be wrong with my car. I felt really lucky that I was able to find the ecu replacement videos, then the help you've given me on how to test the ignition coils. The rest of the possible problems seem hard to find good videos or pictures on. I am very, very new to this and just really hoped I would be able to fix this on my own.

Today's my dad's birthday, he passed away five months ago due to cancer. He took pride in his cars, I thought I would be able to do the same and do this on my own.

Thank you very much for all of your time and help on this, I really appreciate it a lot. Very good to know that there are people out there willing to try and help a stranger on his precious car.
I understand completely. It might be a little early to through the towel in. It's been, what, a day? Troubleshooting isn't easy and quick. It's a process. Though, in this case, it makes total sense to take your SC to the mechanic. If your mechanic finds the issue, please do Club Lexus a favour and post your solution here! Best of luck to you.
Old 02-19-14, 08:24 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually been at this for about 2 weeks now, researching and trying little things as I awaited the arrival of the ecu unit. It was today that I finally began trying to go outside the norm and try whatever I needed to do to get it working.

Thank you again and I will definitely keep you posted
Old 02-20-14, 10:03 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Ok, so I found the problem. I took it this morning to meineke and they told me it was the catalytic converters. They showed me of it looked inside, they were bad and had holes inside of them with a lot of ash and looked burned up. $900 to fix plus the fuel injector cleaning job and oil leak fix.

So they're putting in a new pair of catalytic converters that they have to customize a little because of how these carss have them at a slight angle. I'm glad I found the problem, I'll update you all with the outcome. For now, I'm still trying waiting
Old 02-20-14, 10:42 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Ok, so I found the problem. I took it this morning to meineke and they told me it was the catalytic converters. They showed me of it looked inside, they were bad and had holes inside of them with a lot of ash and looked burned up. $900 to fix plus the fuel injector cleaning job and oil leak fix.

So they're putting in a new pair of catalytic converters that they have to customize a little because of how these carss have them at a slight angle. I'm glad I found the problem, I'll update you all with the outcome. For now, I'm still trying waiting
If this is actually the case, then the ECU was most likely the issue in the first place. You mentioned that after you replaced the ECU with a working one, the fumes went away. Well, those fumes is the SC "running rich" in other words, unburned raw fuel was entering the exhaust and over a period of time the raw fuel melted the honeycomb down inside the catalytic converters. Replaced ECU, no more running rich. In most if not all cases, the catalytic converters fail because of running rich.

Hope that makes sense. And also hope this fixes the issue!
Old 02-20-14, 02:16 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still here at the shop. They replaced the converters but can not figure out what it is that is causing these catalytic converters to run how. They say it's still running hot. They're stumped and have been working on this for about 7 hours now.

The head mechanic is calling over their boss from another store because he says this is the first time in a long time that they are stumped like this and can not for the life of them figure out what it is that's causing them to run hot.

I really hope they can figure this out. Thanks for everything!
Old 02-20-14, 02:24 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Did the mechanics check the distributor/rotor/caps, TPS, AFM, fuel injectors, PCV valve grommet?

Start with the small, and get to the bigger. Wouldn't you hate it if the entire issue was a PCV valve grommet...
Old 02-20-14, 02:53 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

To be honest with you, I'm not sure what they've checked yet. I'm going to mention it to him
Old 02-20-14, 03:24 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Well he says he is almost positive that it's the air flow sensor. He can't guarantee it, but thinks it's it. He said he pulled it out of the car and the car still did the same thing so he's leaving towards it. The only problem is its going to costs me an additional $800 for this sensor and he can't even guarantee that it will fix the problem. This plus the $1000 for the catalytic converters he replaced. This story continues to get worse
Old 02-20-14, 03:30 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Well he says he is almost positive that it's the air flow sensor. He can't guarantee it, but thinks it's it. He said he pulled it out of the car and the car still did the same thing so he's leaving towards it. The only problem is its going to costs me an additional $800 for this sensor and he can't even guarantee that it will fix the problem. This plus the $1000 for the catalytic converters he replaced. This story continues to get worse
$800? This is exactly why I DIY. Even if it seems like it's in over my head...and 1k for the converters...wow.

Please dont spend $800 on an AFM. You can get a working used one for less than 100 bucks on ebay, it'll just require patience. And BTW, you can most definitely replace the AFM yourself! You can even go to your nearest JY and grab one off of a JY SC.
Old 02-20-14, 04:01 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

The guys seemedreally helpful. The problem with the catalytic converters was that they were expensive and he had to cut the new ones down and weld them on so they would fit. It included fixing an Oil leak problem on the bottom pan, and a fuel injector cleaning service.

I'm very very hesitant about this sensor thing though. He said the new problem with getting a junk sensor is that he then won't be able rto tell for sure if that was really the problem or if the used sensor I order us just also messed up. He feels bad about the price and wasn't charging to get it out in, he says that us the price ofit refur bished.

I'm glad you told me about eBay though, I may ask him if u could just order one myself and have himoput it back on.

He mentioned how something (forgot what) was giving 5 volts in, which is normal, but wasn't giving 5 volts out. He says everything is leaning to this sensor. I really hope it is because I can't get my money back on it if it's not the problem.
Old 02-20-14, 04:11 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

The guys seemedreally helpful. The problem with the catalytic converters was that they were expensive and he had to cut the new ones down and weld them on so they would fit. It included fixing an Oil leak problem on the bottom pan, and a fuel injector cleaning service.

I'm very very hesitant about this sensor thing though. He said the new problem with getting a junk sensor is that he then won't be able rto tell for sure if that was really the problem or if the used sensor I order us just also messed up. He feels bad about the price and wasn't charging to get it out in, he says that us the price ofit refur bished.

I'm glad you told me about eBay though, I may ask him if u could just order one myself and have himoput it back on.

He mentioned how something (forgot what) was giving 5 volts in, which is normal, but wasn't giving 5 volts out. He says everything is leaning to this sensor. I really hope it is because I can't get my money back on it if it's not the problem.
True true. But if you get one that was "pulled from a working vehicle", you know it works. And anyways, your mechanic should know how to test it. here is a diagram you can show him.

Also have your mechanic read through this thread, it might help him.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-issues.html

GL
Old 02-20-14, 04:17 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

http://m.ebay.com/itm/140869542543?nav=SEARCH
Wow thank you SO SO much for this. I will call them as soon as they open tomorrow and tell them about this. This is great.

Also, I did as you said and checked eBay. I believe I found a brand new sensor! Is this what I am looking for?

F
Old 02-20-14, 04:26 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

http://m.ebay.com/itm/140869542543?nav=SEARCH

Wow thank you SO SO much for this. I will call them as soon as they open tomorrow and tell them about this. This is great.

Also, I did as you said and checked eBay. I believe I found a brand new sensor! Is this what I am looking for?

F
Unfortunately not. This is not Karmen Vortex hot wire type AFM. Check your PM I have a link to the correct eBay item.
Old 02-21-14, 08:24 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Hello!

So I ordered the eBay part that you gave me a link to and hopefully will get it by Monday. I went byt the shop and showed the guy the manual on testing the sensor. He said that is what he had done and why he feels that is the problem. As a last test, that is when he pulled the MAF sensor to see if the car would make a difference and it didn't so he's putting his bets on it. But boy, am I glad I puchased it off of eBay. I know their intentions were good, ordering a refurbished one, but I do not physically have the money to put away another $800 on a sensor like that that's sold on eBay for $45.

So hopefully things will look up. The good thing is, they are very determined to find the problem too and that always helps. I feel like they are on the same team and genuinely want to see it fixed too!
Old 02-26-14, 12:11 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

My mechanic installed the MAF I just purchased. The car is stil having the same problem. Any ideas at all?

Car has been at the shop for 2 weeks and no one can figure out how to fix it

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 Loss of Power, Rough Idle, Not ECU, Any help please