Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Noise when steering 1999 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 01:11 PM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when steering 1999 sc300

About a month ago I had a leaking power steering pressure hose. My mechanic removed it, had the 2 rubber hoses replaced at a shop and reinstalled. Since that time I've had this groaning noise occur periodically when I steer from the stopped position. The mechanic at first said there was air in the system that needed to be cleared, and he added some solution to the power steering reservoir, but I'm still experiencing the groaning noise. Any idea what is causing it? Thx
Old 02-10-14, 01:34 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic was right diagnosing it; you're either low on fluid (which means theres still a leak, which means he didnt fix it), or theres air in the system somewhere still. But he obviously didnt fix it properly, not sure why he didnt make sure to get the air out instead of just topping it off?
Step 1 - top of the fluid with power steering fluid
Step 2 - monitor it to see if you keep losing it (if not, then its air)
Step 3 - get a better mechanic.
Old 02-10-14, 04:56 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ok, so i had a similar problem yesterday with my 400, and it turned worse today. i was driving it and everything seemed fine. i parked it for about an hour, and then went back and started up the car and started driving, and it was making a loud whining noise under acceleration, and then about 5 minutes into the drive, the power steering started giving out and the whine was really loud when turning and accelerating. I drove straight to the auto parts store and bought a quart of ATF and filled the reservoir, because it was low, but not empty. I turned the wheel a few times from lock to lock, and it still kept making noise. When I parked it in front of my house, i checked the fluid level again, and it was low, so i poured more in. Then i proceeded to drive it for another couple minutes, and the whining sort of went away, but not completely. Then this morning I start the car and its whining like crazy. I have no power steering at all, and the snow under my car was red from the ATF fluid. I'm stumped, because I have no idea what happened all of a sudden. So idk if its a leaking hose or if my pump went out, or whats going on here.
Old 02-10-14, 07:38 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

^ look into you engine bay, see if you can see any leaks from any hoses leading in and out of the resivoir
Old 02-11-14, 09:28 AM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. There is no leakage and the reservoir is full. usually when the fluid is low the noise occurs whenever the steering wheel is turned, but that is not the case here. I only get the groaning sound periodically, and only when the car is stationary. The mechanic in question is pretty good. His only problem is he has TOO many clients, which is typically the case with good personal mechanics. He's told me to to bring the car back in so he can examine it again. I just want to make sure the problem isn't something more severe than air in the system.
Old 02-11-14, 10:25 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

The fluid level does change in the resivoir when the wheel is turned, so it can appear to change. But if the fluid continually shows low levels then the only explanation is that there is a leak somewhere. The leak could possibly be out of sight tucked somewhere in the engine bay if you can't readily see a leak anywhere near the resivoir.
Any by 'leak' I don't mean a noticeable constant drip of fluid. It will more likely appear as a dark coating of fluid around a line somewhere..
Old 06-21-14, 06:00 PM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I didnt get back sooner. Been out of town on assignment. So, I recently took the car back to the mechanic to have the groaning checked out again. He flushed the power steering fluid, which was now dark brown, though it was still at the proper level. He put in new power steering fluid but I'm still having the problem. His recommendation now is to replace the pump. Needless to say, i'm not sure what to do. what I do know is I wasn't having this problem until the pressure hose was repaired and replaced. One other thing I neglected to mention before is that the groaning only seems to occur when I'm turning the steering wheel left. Also, the groaning is occurring more often, but only when the car is stationary and I'm preparing to turn. It also recently occurred after backing out of my garage, putting the car in drive, and turning the steering wheel to the left. And ideas?
Old 10-04-14, 01:44 AM
ahad2jzge
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem as well. I just got mine repaired too at a mechanic shop.I know it's not leaking from anywhere else. It only makes a groaning noise when you slightly turn the steering wheel. Help anyone?
Old 10-05-14, 06:35 AM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

Research Downy fabric softener.
No kidding!
Old 01-02-15, 05:00 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any resolution to this? I had my high pressure power steering hose rebuilt at a hydraulic shop and am having the same issue. Bled the car as per the manual numerous times but still have a moaning sound at low speed or stationary turning.
Old 01-03-15, 11:59 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

We use ATF not power steering fluid - just mentioning as someone said the latter above.
Old 01-04-15, 05:46 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
We use ATF not power steering fluid - just mentioning as someone said the latter above.
I used the correct fluid.

Just for reference I resolved the issue. The screen in the reservoir was clogged up. The pump was sucking fluid in faster than the fluid could get back through the screen. I removed the reservoir and undid the crimps off the top and was able to clean it out with some mineral spirits and carb cleaner. Be sure not to get these chemicals on any of the rubber parts. Just use soap and water for anything not metal.
The following users liked this post:
SHOtyme (06-19-20)