Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE Wiring Harness Made Easy

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 07:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Hey Ryan... I am glad the thread have been of big help to you . Helped you better understand your 2jzgte engine harness , allowed you to do your own harness and surely have saved you tons of money.
Old 06-03-14, 04:15 PM
PaCowboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaCowboy
The harness worked fine before. We are looking into the relay today. If the relay is ok ill look into the pin outs for the eb1 Thanks for the research we appreciate it!!
Gerrb with your help the harness was rewired and the car shuts off. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-14, 11:44 AM
sc300bd
Driver School Candidate

I bought 2jzgte for my car but I am confused with the ecu because in ecu there is no part number but the ecu look same as 2jzgte vvti only denso part number is giving "part number of ECU is DENSO 9717520-068-7 12V" is't same or not. If its same then weather it has immobilize or not.

thanks
Old 07-12-14, 12:10 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done any research into this idea, but I assume some of you have read the GTE ECU conversion on the stock 2JZ-GE, which allows use of the stock coil packs etc.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-ecu-mod.html

Could one simply take the stock GE harness, re-pin it for for the GTE ECU, add the few extra sensors and ignition system and be good to go?

Therefore eliminating the need to extend and merge the two harnesses together.
Old 07-13-14, 06:33 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PaCowboy
Gerrb with your help the harness was rewired and the car shuts off. Thanks for the help.
Good for you ! I am glad things are good now.

Originally Posted by sc300bd
I bought 2jzgte for my car but I am confused with the ecu because in ecu there is no part number but the ecu look same as 2jzgte vvti only denso part number is giving "part number of ECU is DENSO 9717520-068-7 12V" is't same or not. If its same then weather it has immobilize or not.

thanks
Is there any number in that ECU that starts with 89661- ? That is what the 2jzgte ECU part numbers usually start with

Originally Posted by fried_rice
I haven't done any research into this idea, but I assume some of you have read the GTE ECU conversion on the stock 2JZ-GE, which allows use of the stock coil packs etc.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-ecu-mod.html

Could one simply take the stock GE harness, re-pin it for for the GTE ECU, add the few extra sensors and ignition system and be good to go?

Therefore eliminating the need to extend and merge the two harnesses together.
Yes you could do that .. do some re-pins on GE harness but also if you are going full GTE as you have said you would need more wires / connectors to be added. And if you are getting those wires from an Aristo, they still need extending.

Doing a GTE harness.. there are different ways going about it... you can take the aristo GTE as your base to start with since it has basically everything you need for a GTE swap . You can also start with the GE harness , but there are a lot more wires / connectors to be added.

You just have to see what is easier , faster and less confusing route for you. Bottom line, at the end of the day that harness should work for your swap.
Old 07-13-14, 10:59 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thanks for that info, I'm sure I'll do many more GTE swaps in the future in other cars. My car doesn't have a body harness and all I have to do is provide power to the ignition and ECU, for pretty much any motor. LS1 is in almost complete.

My friend does JZ wiring harness daily. I was thinking it could potentially save him time, for someone that has done many harnesses. Or if a person didn't have a harness with their GTE motor they wouldn't have to buy two harnesses. Another benefit is buying all new connectors versus using the old harness plugs, which are normally brittle and broken anyways. Then run new wire to the new connectors. Could also stock many GE harnesses and whip them out faster, theoretically.

Those are all assumptions of course, it may end up being easier and more cost effective to merge the two. Especially for someone who is doing only one harness and buys a JDM motorset with everything.

Thanks for all the documentation and information!

EDIT: Spoke to my friend and he said he found a place that sells the oem wire terminals, so running new wire, connectors and wire terminals, would eliminate soldering pretty much.

Last edited by fried_rice; 07-13-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 06:18 AM
g099521
Driver School Candidate

GREAT write-up!!!!

I have a SC300 harness (I think) that I am going to convert to 2JZ-GTE. I will have to move some pins around but am having a bit of difficulty finding the ECU pinouts. I have the SC400 daigram and it doesn't match my connector's pins. For instance, the E9 connector has pins 5 & 6 empty, but these are the CAM/Crank position sensor signals needed for the TT (OBDII) ECU). Shows them populated/used in the SC400 diagram I have :-/

So, I am going to depin/repin the signals into the right places at the ECU and add signals not already in the non-turbo harness. Can you please point me to a simple "accurate" ECU pinout for the SC300 (maybe with VVTi/OBDII)? Yep, I've been searching. TIA
Old 08-26-14, 06:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by g099521
GREAT write-up!!!!

I have a SC300 harness (I think) that I am going to convert to 2JZ-GTE. I will have to move some pins around but am having a bit of difficulty finding the ECU pinouts. I have the SC400 daigram and it doesn't match my connector's pins. For instance, the E9 connector has pins 5 & 6 empty, but these are the CAM/Crank position sensor signals needed for the TT (OBDII) ECU). Shows them populated/used in the SC400 diagram I have :-/

So, I am going to depin/repin the signals into the right places at the ECU and add signals not already in the non-turbo harness. Can you please point me to a simple "accurate" ECU pinout for the SC300 (maybe with VVTi/OBDII)? Yep, I've been searching. TIA
Thank you ! On post #69 you have the 2jzge pinouts. Pin 5 & 6 for the 2jzge (SC300) will really be empty because they don't have crank sensor and cam sensors. So if you are going GTE , those need to be added.

Do you have a VVTi or Non VVTI engine ? There is a difference in wiring. This writeup will cater more to the NON VVTI though there will be similarities too.
Old 08-26-14, 07:32 AM
g099521
Driver School Candidate

LOL... I am so dumb. I started by looking at the SC400 diagram, which is in a diff. format. When I saw the diagram in post #69, I just assumed I'd seen it a thousand times before (for the Supra 2JZ-GE & GTE) and not the SC300 one for my harness. :-/

But yeah, basically trying to asses what I have, remove the unnecessary pins/signals, add/reuse the right circuits for 2JZ-GTE (non-VVTi) and install into MKIII Supra. I have a couple of "donor" harnesses if I need extra pins/wires and extra new connectors on hand (coilpacks, CPSs, etc).

I've extended/used JDM Aristo harnesses before, but since the length on this is already very good... worth a try.

The write up really helps with the crazy-sanity checks we go thru... even when we've done this before. Thanks again!!
Old 08-26-14, 09:47 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Great write up!
Old 08-26-14, 09:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

pins 5 6 and 7 are a special cam/crank ground in the both the ge/gte ecu and they are connected together inside ecu.

normally the GE has 1 shared ground for cam/crank on 7.
normally the GTE has 2 cam grounds 5 and 6, and 1 crank ground on 7.

If you use a GE harness on a GTE you do not need to run separate ground wires for 5 and 6.
you can just tie all 3 cam and crank ground wires into the 1 ground wire at distributor which goes to 7. 5 and 6 remain empty.
Old 08-27-14, 08:26 AM
g099521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
pins 5 6 and 7 are a special cam/crank ground in the both the ge/gte ecu and they are connected together inside ecu.

normally the GE has 1 shared ground for cam/crank on 7.
normally the GTE has 2 cam grounds 5 and 6, and 1 crank ground on 7.

If you use a GE harness on a GTE you do not need to run separate ground wires for 5 and 6.
you can just tie all 3 cam and crank ground wires into the 1 ground wire at distributor which goes to 7. 5 and 6 remain empty.
OMG, that's what I've been trying to wrap my mind around for the last few days!! Fantastic info. THANKS again!
Old 12-14-15, 03:09 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

To help those doing a 2jzgte VVT-i Swap on their SCs ...

Wiring Harness Write up for a 2jzgte VVT-i swap on a Lexus SC will be on my Build Thread Starting page -> 227 Post 3398 . This thread will be left just for the Non-VVTi 2jzgte swaps

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9286606

Last edited by gerrb; 12-14-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 03:40 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
...You have to use the right size of shrink wrap too and you don't need electrical tape as long as you don't puncture that shrink wrap that shields your solder point and prevent wires from being exposed. That is exactly why you shrink wrap solder points... to cover them. So when you are soldering and joining wires , make sure you dont have sharp areas or wires protruding. You also make sure that the shrink wrap is well heated and secured that it doesn't slide out...
Gerb,

I concur with all your wiring harness tips and recommendations; however, I have one suggestion for anyone overhauling a harness. Buy an industrial grade ratcheting wire crimper, wire stripper, butt connectors, and shrink wrap. It's superior to soldering, takes a fraction of the time, and produces a more reliable connection.

Here's a pic of my harness tools:

Here's a sample of a breakout connector I added to my harness:

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 12-21-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-22-15, 06:57 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Thanks Scott . You are the master actually .. hahaha.

Seriously , as I have told you in person , I have learned a lot from your posts both here on CL and on SF.

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE Wiring Harness Made Easy