Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Rebuilding cost?

Old 01-15-14, 07:48 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default ECU Rebuilding cost?

I have searched and it has not brought up anything.

I'm looking for the cheapest estimate to rebuild the ECU for a 92 SC4. eBay only has one source and that would cost me $150.

Where did you get your ECU rebuilt?

TIA
Old 01-15-14, 08:33 PM
Tam4511
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anywhere from 50 too 150 as far as ive seen.
Old 01-16-14, 05:03 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like $12 if you can figure out how to solder onto a board.
Old 01-16-14, 08:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have heard about this place, but I can't remember why its so familiar
http://lextech.org/osCommerce/catalo...4d6e55a5e9fdf5
Old 01-16-14, 08:52 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Vrank
Like $12 if you can figure out how to solder onto a board.
Soldering is one thing, soldering those tiny capacitors is another. That requires special skill that I do not have. All I have soldered is things like iPod batteries, and the like. Bigger solder pads are a lot easier.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have heard about this place, but I can't remember why its so familiar
http://lextech.org/osCommerce/catalo...4d6e55a5e9fdf5
This is exactly what I was looking for! I looked up Lextech and I couldn't find this. I might try this place. Thanks!
Old 01-16-14, 10:48 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, its really not hard at all. I'm sure you could find some broken something or other to practice on. The capacitors don't solder onto a pad, they go through the board. Seriously, its retarded simple. I learned to solder by watching YouTube videos. Once I was confident with doing wires my gfs sc ecu took a ****. That was almost 4 years ago. I gave it a whirl, replaced two capacitors and today that ecu is running a 2jzge in a mk3 supra. No issues, my first one.

Don't be afraid. But if you can't help it, then open the ecu, write down and order the values of the capacitors and take your ecu to a cell phone repair store that's reputable in your area and tell em you'll give em a quick 20 bucks. Its seriously a simple job for anyone half confident with soldering.
Old 01-16-14, 11:03 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Dude, its really not hard at all. I'm sure you could find some broken something or other to practice on. The capacitors don't solder onto a pad, they go through the board. Seriously, its retarded simple. I learned to solder by watching YouTube videos. Once I was confident with doing wires my gfs sc ecu took a ****. That was almost 4 years ago. I gave it a whirl, replaced two capacitors and today that ecu is running a 2jzge in a mk3 supra. No issues, my first one.

Don't be afraid. But if you can't help it, then open the ecu, write down and order the values of the capacitors and take your ecu to a cell phone repair store that's reputable in your area and tell em you'll give em a quick 20 bucks. Its seriously a simple job for anyone half confident with soldering.
If it's just the capacitors that need replacing when the ECU is "rebuilt" by somebody else, I might give it a go. I thought it was very difficult. I solder quite a lot. Not capacitors, just batteries, wires ect.
Thanks, I appreciate your input.
Old 01-17-14, 05:54 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Check out this thread in the LS forum. This guy knows his stuff. You should read through this and decide if you want to try it yourself. I did mine in my LS based on this thread. I also recommend replacing all of the caps. It's kind of stupid to replace only a couple. If only a couple have leaked, it's only a matter of time before the others leak also. DO NOT buy an ECU off of Ebay or have one of those random guys rebuild it. They never use the correct caps. It explains everything in the thread on where and how many to get. I'm pretty sure he even has some info on the SC400 ECU also. If you want an expert to rebuild your ECU, contact "LScowboyLS". I've heard he rebuilds them for people, but don't quote me on that. It is VERY important that you buy not only the correct caps, but also the correct brand caps. Hope this helps some.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Old 01-17-14, 06:01 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Just for the record, it takes some of the most experienced guys a good 3-4hrs to solder the caps into these ECU's, so i highly doubt $20 at the local cell phone repair shop will get the job done CORRECTLY....
Old 01-20-14, 05:25 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

^ wrong. Stop making stuff sound harder than it seems. Its seriously not that difficult. You just have to grow a pair and make it happen. I understand some people may not have the confidence in skills to do this to the ecu in their daily, but anybody with half *** skills with a soldering iron can do this completely fine and it will be functional. There's not 49 capacitors in these ecus, and any cell phone repair shop should have the right tools to make each capacitor a 5 min job. At MOST! They pull through holes. You suck solder up as you pull cap out, replace, add solder, clip legs. DONE.

Anyone that plans on keeping one of these vehicles should have a spare ecu anyway.
Old 01-20-14, 06:01 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Soldering is one thing, soldering those tiny capacitors is another. That requires special skill that I do not have. All I have soldered is things like iPod batteries, and the like. Bigger solder pads are a lot easier.

This is exactly what I was looking for! I looked up Lextech and I couldn't find this. I might try this place. Thanks!
You do realize this is the same guy that has been getting hammered on this forum for sorry service, poor customer communication, and about everything else associated with running a business.
Old 01-20-14, 06:42 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I did it myself without any previous experience. My car has been running great since I did them. I'm not saying that it cant be done. All I'm trying to say is that these ECU's cause so many "ghost" problems in these cars its not even funny. If your comfortable with joe blow at the cell phone repair shop soldering in new caps in your ECU, go for it.

There's more to it then just slapping the caps in there anyway. The most important thing is making sure you are using the RIGHT caps.
Old 01-20-14, 08:25 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

There are tutorials around on how to do it but it requires some care and skill to get it right. Services exist online and through eBay. I know Driftmotion will also perform this service to pretty much all the major 1JZ, 2JZ and 1UZ ECU's.
Old 01-21-14, 10:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
Just for the record, it takes some of the most experienced guys a good 3-4hrs to solder the caps into these ECU's, so i highly doubt $20 at the local cell phone repair shop will get the job done CORRECTLY....
The components on cell phones are smaller than most any other device, let alone the large capacitors on our large ecu boards.
I doubt the most experienced guys on here have half the experience any of those cell phone repair guys have, as they only repair electronics all day long, and are generally used to soldering under a magnifying glass which you wouldn't need for ecu repair like this.

Not being comfortable doing it is one thing, and I get wanting to leave it up to experts, but if someone who is picking up a soldering iron for the first time can get through it, the guys who work all day with any electronics can easily do it, and If I needed someone to do it locally that would actually be a good place to take it to in a pinch.
Old 01-21-14, 11:09 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The components on cell phones are smaller than most any other device, let alone the large capacitors on our large ecu boards.
I doubt the most experienced guys on here have half the experience any of those cell phone repair guys have, as they only repair electronics all day long, and are generally used to soldering under a magnifying glass which you wouldn't need for ecu repair like this.

Not being comfortable doing it is one thing, and I get wanting to leave it up to experts, but if someone who is picking up a soldering iron for the first time can get through it, the guys who work all day with any electronics can easily do it, and If I needed someone to do it locally that would actually be a good place to take it to in a pinch.
Based on the fact that I do actually repair Cell phones (preferably iPhones) as a "side business", and as a hobby. I have soldering knowledge as I do replace batteries all the time as well as other electrical device items. I think I'm gonna give a shot at this and see how it goes.

When I first heard the rumor of "rebuilding the ECU" inside your garage, I thought of things like small resistors, circuit board repairing, ribbon cable connectors, even working with ohm values, and my knowledge is basic in that area. I imagined it was almost inconceiveable to do at home, but I guess if the capacitors are it, I'll give it my best shot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU Rebuilding cost?