Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BC Small Core 272 JZ Cams. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 08:18 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Small Core 272 JZ Cams. Need Help.

So my buddy has a set of Brian Crower Small Core 272 Cams from the group buy a while back and is deciding not to use them in his build anymore. I just put together an HX35 single kit on my 1JZ soarer last winter and this winter, i'm currently building to handle the power and this set has come across the board so i'm thinking of jumping on it but i just wanted to make sure they will fit and work in my 1JZ

Now while looking at the cams i noticed that they have 2JZ stamped on them and from what i've heard, these 2JZ cams will fit in my 1JZ with a slight machining. Is this true? Also is there anyway to identify these small core 272 cams to confirm they are actually the correct ones?

Helpful tips and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 01-09-14, 05:07 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock cams are great with that turbo. The 272s will turn the holset into a restriction. Brian crosses website, or a google search could answer your actual question though
Old 01-09-14, 05:08 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy the correct camshaft that's made for you engine, why go through machining when you can buy the drop ins and be done.
And that Turbo will no flow really well with those cams.
Old 01-09-14, 07:11 AM
s1984
Driver

Why does the 272´s turn the HX35 into a restriction?
I got a HE351 and want to run the same cams.
Old 01-09-14, 07:29 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Why is it that all you 1jz guys always want to run a 272 cam in a street car with truck turbos and what I assume to be otherwise stock heads.
These cams do not shine in a stock head with small turbos that don't have the cfm to feed them they also will give you idle issues, low vacuum pressure, and pending on the brand of 272 could present with interference concerns.

272 cams in a 1j under 700 hp with stock rpms is absolutely useless all these cams do is slide your powerband to the right and make it virtually useless in a basic stock configuration JZ 1 or 2.

The ideal street cam for these cars is a 264 with the ideal turbo's being in the 62-67 mm area with A/R's of between a .68 - .91 pending stick or auto and the right supporting fuel upgrades, intercoolers and plumbing!
Old 01-09-14, 08:52 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Thank You.

And one thing i don't get all of these 1jz guys wanna HX35 etc or whatever and make power, seems like nobody wants to spend the money on a nice decent Turbo /Correct size turbo to make some power.

Everyone wants to make power on the 600whp on the budget..

272 needs dual springs, retainers and billet tensioner.
Old 01-09-14, 02:46 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s1984
Why does the 272´s turn the HX35 into a restriction?
I got a HE351 and want to run the same cams.
This is even worse. He341/351 and hy35 all flow about the same or more than the hx on the compressor side, but have a smaller exh housing than the hx which makes it choke harder. Stock cams and holset is a kick *** combination for 350-450whp. Super kick ***. You want 500 go t4 something or other, or large housing t3.
Old 01-09-14, 02:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Why is it that all you 1jz guys always want to run a 272 cam in a street car with truck turbos and what I assume to be otherwise stock heads.
These cams do not shine in a stock head with small turbos that don't have the cfm to feed them they also will give you idle issues, low vacuum pressure, and pending on the brand of 272 could present with interference concerns.

272 cams in a 1j under 700 hp with stock rpms is absolutely useless all these cams do is slide your powerband to the right and make it virtually useless in a basic stock configuration JZ 1 or 2.

The ideal street cam for these cars is a 264 with the ideal turbo's being in the 62-67 mm area with A/R's of between a .68 - .91 pending stick or auto and the right supporting fuel upgrades, intercoolers and plumbing!
If only people listen to the guys who have been here, done that before mentality.
Old 01-09-14, 03:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

264 does have a nice ring to it. I would follow their advice.
Old 01-09-14, 03:24 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
For the OP to drool over. 264 BC cams stock internals C16 still running as a daily today.

Sorry to the 3 Mods for posting this vid everytime this 1jz what cam?,can I make hp?,what size turbo?, r154 power capacity question comes up!!!!!!

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 01-09-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 03:30 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Oh Yeah I forgot to tell you I Built this car for the original owner and still work on the car for the new owner!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-14, 07:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Roger it doesn't matter if you have posted this video a million times,I still enjoy hearing the BW S366 spool up.
Old 01-10-14, 03:20 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vrank
Stock cams are great with that turbo. The 272s will turn the holset into a restriction. Brian crosses website, or a google search could answer your actual question though
Thanks Vrank. But yeah I sorta had a feeling they were a little too aggressive. I just wanted to see if one could get away with the small core 272 with them slightly smaller lift than the large cores but apparently not.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Just buy the correct camshaft that's made for you engine, why go through machining when you can buy the drop ins and be done.
And that Turbo will no flow really well with those cams.
Yeah i'm starting to lean more and more to that convenience of just drop in and the more streetable cam like the HKS 264 or something similar. Thats if I even decide to do cams. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j

Why is it that all you guys with experience have to be ignorant and talk down and jump all over those that simply just want to be informed of something for their application? I did my fair share of research before posting but could not find too much on these specific 272 small core groupbuy cams. I was informed by the buyer that they would work and that the small cores are a smaller lift that the normal large core cams therefore keeping it a non interference motor. I'm not completely clueless, i know how an engine works. 264s were my initial intent as i figured 272 was too much but these 272s just came across and i just simply wanted to know if i could get away with small core 272s seeing how they are different. You've obviously made VERY clear that i shouldn't. Im not looking to run completely stock head or ECU so don't try and bash me saying i'm doing it all wrong when you don't even know my build or plans. I thank you for your useful information none the less.

I live in Canada so the options for tuning shops or any performance shop at that is hard to come by. That being said my knowledge is limited to the forums mostly for my first questions on topics like this one. So pardon me for asking what seemed to be a stupid question from your reaction but i gotta ask someone right? I want to hear from guys like you with experience and that have done these builds but the ignorance and generalization of a noob gets old.

I finally got a hold of my tuner from another city. He informed me about the low end power loss, vacuum issues, powerband shift, etc. For my application and what my goals are I'm deciding not to go with these cams so don't worry.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
^^^ Thank You.

And one thing i don't get all of these 1jz guys wanna HX35 etc or whatever and make power, seems like nobody wants to spend the money on a nice decent Turbo /Correct size turbo to make some power.

Everyone wants to make power on the 600whp on the budget..

272 needs dual springs, retainers and billet tensioner.
When did i say i want to make 600hp ? Id be thrilled to make 600!

But I'm a 22 year old student so i'm sorry that i don't have thousands of dollars to spend on my car right now? I'm doing this car on a budget sure but i'm not cutting corners everywhere. Yeah sure HX35 with full driftmotion manifold and plumbing isn't up to par with the amount of money i'm apparently supposed to spend but with my very crucial things like internal engine components, cooling, fuel system, ECU and what not i did not cut any corners in fact i spent enough money to maybe be acceptable in your guys' eyes. Suprising i know but I Know where i can and where i can not cut corners. I've spent enough money on Rims, Audio and Body already and i'm just starting with the engine now so give me some time to build something on a budget and get some experience before i start putting tens of thousands of dollars in an engine without the experience and watch all my money go down the drain.

Thanks for the information though either way.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Thanks, i'm leaning towards that now lol.
Old 01-10-14, 03:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think if you had stated your research first and about the large small cores and that you already had some understanding you may have gotten a more positive response, but it looks like either way they are not even remotely suitable for your application, and I think they were just trying to drive that home for the next person who reads it and still decides they want to go 272 cause its a good deal or readily available. Unless you have large everything else, you can't expect large cam's to give you a balanced setup really, the powerband will take a hit. Quick is thinking 600hp because you wouldn't use those cams on lower power applications, the whole power band thing again would not be fun.
cams turbo intake exhaust are all linked, the bigger you go in one area the other areas should also to compliment them. There is a balance!!
Old 01-11-14, 08:07 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

OP, Sorry you got your feelings hurt by my comment, but just remember that this is not a PM this is an open forum with lots of ????? consistently being asked about the same or similar things these forums are riddled in 1JZ hp, ability, turbo size, cam selection, injector sizing questions and it just gets OLD.

So my response is directed at all readers not you (soloed) out to try to finally get these ???? answered for everybody to read!!!!!!