Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Building a fuel system for 800-900hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 03:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Building a fuel system for 800-900hp

I have been collecting misc parts for my single turbo/fuel system build. I do have questions and need suggestions on how to setup my system. I do have basic knowledge on how the sc300 fuel is set up from the factory. I'll start wth what parts I have so far.

powerhouse racing billet duel bosh044 fuel pump hanger
2x bosh 044 pumps with filters
Custom two relay wiring harness for system
Id2000 injectors
Weldon 2040 fuel pressure regulator
Pro efi flex fuel sensor
Goodridge -8an PTFE fuel feed lines and fittings
Goodridge -6an PTFE return line and fittings
Power house racing -8an fuel rail
Weldon 10 micron fuel filters

My currant OEM fuel lines and filter look rusty and brittle. I would rather not use them. I see the feed and return lines connect to the underside of the car under the tank. On the phr fuel pump hanger it has two -8AN fittings to have two separate feed lines run to both sides of the fuel rail. I want to have two feeds running under the car from hanger into their own fuel filters mad into the rail. I know I have to run a -6AN center return from rail into my regulator and into the flex fuel sensor and out from sensor back to the tank...

Now here is my question since my OEM fuel lines are rotting away is there any way I can completely remove them? If I do what do I do with the bottom ports on the tank under the car? And where is the best place for me to run my return line to? I do not want to weld the tank or any ot that. Please any one that can shed some light for me. Or suggest some options on what I can do?
Old 12-24-13, 05:17 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at my build thread and you will see how I did my setup. Same basic parts you have. Oem fuel lines get rid of them. Bottom of the tank, you can use an oil drain plug with the same thread size and some "seal all "to plug it all up or cut off the bungs that the bolt goes through from the oem line and weld it shut. Either way will work. Run the fuel lines along the car as the oem lines did and place the filter anywhere you think is best along with the flexfuel sensor. And your done.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-24-13, 05:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Take a look at my build thread and you will see how I did my setup. Same basic parts you have. Oem fuel lines get rid of them. Bottom of the tank, you can use an oil drain plug with the same thread size and some "seal all "to plug it all up or cut off the bungs that the bolt goes through from the oem line and weld it shut. Either way will work. Run the fuel lines along the car as the oem lines did and place the filter anywhere you think is best along with the flexfuel sensor. And your done.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Where did you connect your return line to?
Old 12-24-13, 05:44 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the feed and return line are coming off the fuel pump hanger top hat behind the seat
Old 12-24-13, 06:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Both the feed and return line are coming off the fuel pump hanger top hat behind the seat
The fuel pump hanger does not have a return line port just two feed ports for both lines. Any more info or pics on how to seal both ports on bottom of car where factory lines go? Any pictures?
Old 12-24-13, 07:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Also is there anyway of converting this banjo bolt/fitting under the tank to an AN fitting so I can use it as a return port without welding?
Old 12-25-13, 04:56 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

just cap off the the metal line inside the tank , nothings needed to be done under car as the feed and return lines run inside the the tank above the fuel itself , its not gravity fed ... as for return what i did was run a -6an return to orig spot ,i use a brass tee fitting splitting the -6an into 2 5/16 fuel hose clamped onto the orig feed going into underside of tank and the other 5/16 hose to the orig return port on underside .. if you remove each banjo fitting ( careful not to lose the 2 crush washers as they are needed to seal and line up banjo bolt) you can remove the plastic shielding which will reveal a barbed oem fitting that you can clamp the 5/16 fuel injection hose to , then inside the tank the oem return line already dumps into the rear of plastic slosh , the the oem metal feed line that terminates at top of tank , i use another 5/16 short fuel line clamped onto that metal line and use a pre bent alum line and clamp the other end of the same short 5/16 fuel injection hose from there and dump return fuel to front of slosh , so now i have fuel dumping at front and rear of slosh ..

theres virtually no pressure on return line but dual dumping gets fuel back to tank quicker and reduces some friction and also serves to make sure slosh is always full of fuel....
Old 12-25-13, 05:03 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

also be careful and informed when using bosch 044 intank with e85 .. teelex himself had 1 of his 3 044 intank die and the second close to death after short use and if it wasnt for the protection offered from pro efi seeing the drop in fuel pressure , his motor would have been toast .. reid at sound performance also had his 044 get eaten up from outside in by e85 and has sinced changed to dual walbro 416 e85 pumps which flow alot more and teelex also did the switch and very easily made 1014 rwhp with 2 of these walbro's running
Old 12-25-13, 06:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexforlife
just cap off the the metal line inside the tank , nothings needed to be done under car as the feed and return lines run inside the the tank above the fuel itself , its not gravity fed ... as for return what i did was run a -6an return to orig spot ,i use a brass tee fitting splitting the -6an into 2 5/16 fuel hose clamped onto the orig feed going into underside of tank and the other 5/16 hose to the orig return port on underside .. if you remove each banjo fitting ( careful not to lose the 2 crush washers as they are needed to seal and line up banjo bolt) you can remove the plastic shielding which will reveal a barbed oem fitting that you can clamp the 5/16 fuel injection hose to , then inside the tank the oem return line already dumps into the rear of plastic slosh , the the oem metal feed line that terminates at top of tank , i use another 5/16 short fuel line clamped onto that metal line and use a pre bent alum line and clamp the other end of the same short 5/16 fuel injection hose from there and dump return fuel to front of slosh , so now i have fuel dumping at front and rear of slosh ..

theres virtually no pressure on return line but dual dumping gets fuel back to tank quicker and reduces some friction and also serves to make sure slosh is always full of fuel....
Is there anyway you can take any pictures of this setup?
Old 12-25-13, 06:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I was also thinking is there anyway of installing a -6AN adaptor fitting where the factory banjo bolt return is currently under the tank?
Old 12-25-13, 08:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Is there anyway you can take any pictures of this setup?
sure can , later ill post it for you

I was also thinking is there anyway of installing a -6AN adaptor fitting where the factory banjo bolt return is currently under the tank?

no you cant , ask me how i know .. i tried with the correct fitting not realizing that the oem banjo bolt has a extra finger the plugs a tiny hole next to banjo bolt hole on underside of tank .. i kept wrapping the fitting with teflon tape to stop a tiny leak when i tried using the fitting only to realize it was coming from the tiny hole now left open when not using the banjo .. you could weld it shut , but that requires you to remove tank , completely wash out and leave open to get rid of fumes to prevent fire from welding .. i honestly dont see the point as what feeds to bottom of tank is a small barely 5/16 metal line that runs from fuel pump hanger , up to top of tank then down to this fitting , so to me that a restriction...
Old 12-25-13, 08:22 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexforlife
sure can , later ill post it for you

no you cant , ask me how i know .. i tried with the correct fitting not realizing that the oem banjo bolt has a extra finger the plugs a tiny hole next to banjo bolt hole on underside of tank .. i kept wrapping the fitting with teflon tape to stop a tiny leak when i tried using the fitting only to realize it was coming from the tiny hole now left open when not using the banjo .. you could weld it shut , but that requires you to remove tank , completely wash out and leave open to get rid of fumes to prevent fire from welding .. i honestly dont see the point as what feeds to bottom of tank is a small barely 5/16 metal line that runs from fuel pump hanger , up to top of tank then down to this fitting , so to me that a restriction...
Gotcha, thank you for that. Yes I defiantly made up my mind on removing all the OEM lines and doing ss lines. Please ,post those pictures as that would help me a lot on this! Merry Christmas to you as we'll
Old 12-25-13, 08:24 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

i run my car and trufantics car like this ,,, his is almost 800 rwhp

2 6an bulhead fittings , each feeding each end of rail

and if you decide to go with a true e85 pump setup , heres how the twin walbro 416 sit side by side in tank

Old 12-25-13, 08:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Gotcha, thank you for that. Yes I defiantly made up my mind on removing all the OEM lines and doing ss lines. Please ,post those pictures as that would help me a lot on this! Merry Christmas to you as we'll

if you are using e85 , please only use ptfe lines and fittings , the teflon inner bore will never break down and also will never leach fuel smell
Old 12-25-13, 10:34 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Why did you not use the hanger behind the back seat area and used the one for the sending unit in the trunk for the feed lines? Also any pictures of the return line?

Quick Reply: Building a fuel system for 800-900hp