Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 wont start after timing belt and spark plug change

Old 01-12-14, 11:54 AM
winky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 wont start after timing belt and spark plug change

I replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, and spark plugs and I was able to start up the car and drive around the block but after I came home, the car cranks and starts but the only way the engine would stay on is by pressing on the gas pedal. After you release the gas pedal the engine stalls. I do however have an additional hose leftover after putting everything back together. I'm not sure if this is the reason why the car is not staying on. There are no coolant leaks btw. Heres a picture of the hose, Its about 5" long.

Old 01-12-14, 02:22 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winky
I replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, and spark plugs and I was able to start up the car and drive around the block but after I came home, the car cranks and starts but the only way the engine would stay on is by pressing on the gas pedal. After you )release the gas pedal the engine stalls. I do however have an additional hose leftover after putting everything back together. I'm not sure if this is the reason why the car is not staying on. There are no coolant leaks btw. Heres a picture of the hose, Its about 5" long.

You probably have a big vacuum leak not allowing the car to stay on. Can u have someone record the engine while you start it so we can here the engine trying to run
Old 01-13-14, 09:12 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

As mentioned above I am positive it is a vac. leak looks like it came from the pass. side try and find it should fix your problem.
Old 01-13-14, 01:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks like the pcv hose, on top of the Y part, you have a huge vac leak if that is not on there.
Old 01-16-14, 06:09 PM
winky
Driver School Candidate

I got the car to start properly. It was because one of the throttle wires was loose. But the now the it starts up and the RPM does a quick decrease then increases back to a normal rate. Could this be caused by timing or valve adjustments?

I haven't found where the hose goes. I have looked in every location I can think of passenger, top, driver side, bottom. Are there any hoses located in front of the radiator or behind the intake manifold and throttle body?

The timing belt doesn't rotate in a straight line and it has a rip in a few places cause a broken bolt got stuck on the bottom of the crankshaft socket and punctured a hole in it, but the belt is brand new.
Old 01-17-14, 04:48 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you better do the job over again. This time do it right. Also, no matter how hard I try, I can't picture any possible way for your last paragraph to happen. This is a really really simple job if you take your time, follow a manual, and pay attention to what your doing.
Old 01-17-14, 09:03 AM
winky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vrank
Well you better do the job over again. This time do it right. Also, no matter how hard I try, I can't picture any possible way for your last paragraph to happen. This is a really really simple job if you take your time, follow a manual, and pay attention to what your doing.
The broken bolt came from the serpentine belt tensioner bolt that I snapped off while screwing it in and I didnt see the broken end that was stuck under the crankshaft sprocket. Once the car started it made a loud knocking noise, probably from the bolt being thrown around inside the timing belt covers. It was my first time doing the timing belt job so I wasn't sure what I was doing half the time lol. I will be doing the install over again because I need to replace the ripped timing belt, hopefully this time everything will go well. lol.
Old 01-17-14, 09:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

maybe your bolt bent something down there and its wobbling. did you check the pcv to see if that was the hose, do you need a picture? its the one circled in red.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html