Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering valve(?) questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 07:07 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering valve(?) questions

What are the functions of this thing? How is it meant to work? I've realized this thing is my issue and not my p/s pump. (Can't remember the thread I seen and the guy who posted about it. Thanks to that guy. He saved me $190!) Reason i'm asking these questions is because it seemed to have worked after the first "somewhat" cleaning I did after I flushed the p/s system. The super loud whine it makes only comes after the cars completely warm. Under load it seems to sometimes go away until I come to a constant rpm while cruising or at a stop. I took the plunger looking assembly out today and noticed there was minimal amounts of grime in between the o rings and the plastic pieces on one side of each o-ring. Cleaned it up with some chemtool and put it back together. (I should've placed a little bit of oil on the o-rings but failed to think about it until after I reinstalled it.) Started it back up and same thing. Bah! Now i'm trying to figure out what to really look for to say it's completely shot.... (Maybe i'm just being a cheap *** and trying to save $100 .) Car's a 92sc300. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-03-13, 07:39 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

All the power steering valve does (if I'm not mistaken) is, when turning at a low speed, it controls your RPM's so that the power steering pump doesnt bog your idle speed down.
Old 12-03-13, 08:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its probably the pump, make sure its topped off and get the air out, if it still whines it probably needs new seals or a new pump.
Old 12-03-13, 04:51 PM
Mesican
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
All the power steering valve does (if I'm not mistaken) is, when turning at a low speed, it controls your RPM's so that the power steering pump doesnt bog your idle speed down.
Hmm. Another thing is, I noticed my temps not going to proper temp while running around town at 32 degrees F. Found out it had no thermostat. Put a new thermostat in it and that's when it started to whine. My car running at the right temps now makes my car idle at around 650-700. I let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes before taking off to work. I'm wondering if those super low idles ruined that valve... I'm pretty sure the pump is still good. I wish I had another valve to try solve my problem once and for all. Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its probably the pump, make sure its topped off and get the air out, if it still whines it probably needs new seals or a new pump.
You would think that the whine sound would start immediately after turning it on though, right? Not when it gets to running temps. Are there any good junkyards around your area? With some sc300's laying around? There isn't crap out here in the Southwest part of Kansas. bah!