Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Rear Differential Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 06:37 PM
95NCsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Rear Differential Issue?

well guys i need some input figuring this out on my w58 swapped sc400 with the stock open diff.

simply put i'm trying to further diagnose a problem with the rear end of my car that started recently before i completely pull things apart and end up ordering the wrong parts.
everything i noticed is noted below:

-makes a clunking noise and feels like i m going over deep potholes at 30mph and sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side of the car.
-when in gear whether it be in a forward gear or reverse i can hear and feel it. the bump felt is way more noticeable while in reverse.
-while cruising in gear the klunk is felt when slowly accelerating up hill or when putting in a higher gear and putting less stress on the driveline.
-when car is on stands and in gear it makes no noise, but can slightly be felt jerking only when in gear and the initial moment the accelerator is pressed and no time there afterwards.
-when i turn the rear driver side tire by hand there is no noise at all and it spins freely as it should.
-the rear passenger side is the complete opposite & catches at random points and can be heard knocking when spun hard although i can not exactly pinpoint the sound although it is coming from the right side of the diff.
-while initially stepping on the accelerator the jerking is so bad coming from the car its almost like driving a car with a stage 3 clutch for the first time.

so all of that being said is there anybody here who can point me in the right direction to pinpointing the issue
Old 11-28-13, 07:50 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

1) Check the driveshaft center bearing.
2)jack up the car from the diff so both wheels are off the ground and grab the rear wheel at the top and bottom and see if u can rock the wheel IE: bad wheel bearing and do the same thing on the front and back of the wheel and try to rock it. if it moves it could be a wheel bearing,a toe arm bushing or any of the lower bar bushings, check the diff mounts at the ear mounts see if the rubber has separated.
report back what you find.
Also did you mark the DS when u pulled it off the diff ???? (out of balance)
Old 11-29-13, 06:02 AM
95NCsoarer
Driver School Candidate

1) i recently replaced the center support bearing about 2 months ago. already checked it & it checks out. & yes i marked it when i took everything apart.
2) not getting any rocking from the wheel itself. & all bushings are good. as i said the only problem is the passenger rear wheel catches when being spun & makes a knocking sound .
Old 11-30-13, 11:09 AM
95NCsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Decided to drop the differential and take it apart since i couldn't get any input.. internals are shot.
Delete thread.