Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Broken TT auto differential

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 06:00 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken TT auto differential

Hey guys, I took my TT SC400 to the track last weekend. Rolled up to the start line, light turned green, let the clutch out , and bang.
Car didn't even twitch.
I'm guessing the previous agressiv launches were causing a stress crack to grow.

The diff locked on the starting line. It was fun getting the car off the track, and back to the trailer.
Getting a car with a locked diff. Two tires that won't roll up onto a trailer is a world of fun I hope you guys don't ever have the pleasure to enjoy.

Here are a few pictures of the carnage.

Old 11-04-14, 02:53 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

The track is not a very forgiving place for a 200mm ring gear on a tire. You will also break the axle's.
You may want to consider a 220mm 6spd diff with a TRD lsd at the very minimum!
Old 11-05-14, 07:58 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I knew the 200mm Torsens weren't indestructible when using slicks but damn...! Sorry to see this happen.

Rdm20fan, what were your horsepower and torque figures prior to the track event?
Old 11-06-14, 05:45 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
The track is not a very forgiving place for a 200mm ring gear on a tire. You will also break the axle's.
You may want to consider a 220mm 6spd diff with a TRD lsd at the very minimum!
Thanks Blk&Blu,
I just got done putting the 6-speed rear in the car last night. It still has the Torsen in it. Since the unit is a little larger we do have to change the exhaust on the right side a little. It's hitting the housing on the new rear end, but wasn't on the original.
I've been looking at the TRD diff's but the budget might have to wait until spring.

The gearing is much taller. I was using the stock Lexus 3.96:1 in the old gear. Should make for a little less shifting in the 1/4

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I knew the 200mm Torsens weren't indestructible when using slicks but damn...! Sorry to see this happen.

Rdm20fan, what were your horsepower and torque figures prior to the track event?
Thanks Kahn,
The diff was pretty strong, but if you are looking for drag racing, on a slick I would recommend something else. It did handle a bunch of abuse though.

I have not dynoed the car recently. Based on its trap speed, and weight I think the motor is around 700, and 600 at the wheels.
The car runs 130ish mph trap speeds in the 1/4.

I might try and take the SC 400 to the track this weekend, as its one of the last weekend the tracks are open in Chicago, as the snow is just around the corner.
I am worried about the new rear end breaking also, but I think it should be able to handle a few passes, with the TRD diff being the plan for the spring.