Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Harbor Freight tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 10:57 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor Freight tools

Is anyone using harbor freight tools to perform maintenance on scxxx ? I am looking at getting torque wrench from them from reading reviews it seems to be accurate and cheap. Any one has any experience with them or any recommendation for good torque wrench ?
Old 11-24-13, 01:21 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have both the inch pound torque wrench and the Ft pnd torque wrench from Harbor freight the ft pound works great. Only 20 bucks for the ft pound wrench, a little bit less for the inch pnd wrench.
Old 11-24-13, 01:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the ft. lbs. torque wrench from HF. Works well, although had it replaced once under warranty.

Just walked in, gave them the broken one and they gave me a new one. Simple as that.

I think it was just a lemon, the one I have currently is working well. I don't care if it breaks again, lifetime warranty. I'll just keep taking it back and getting a new one
Old 11-24-13, 01:35 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used plenty of HF tools, and not one complaint yet except with the ratchets. Ive had HF torque wrenches (both ft/lb and in/lb) before and they worked pretty good.
Old 11-24-13, 02:10 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Good tools for a cheap price...I purchased my engine hoist, load leveler, engine stand, 1000lb dolly, multiple hand tools and impact sockets are a steal....I havent had experience with the torque wrenched but I will be purchasing some to give them a go...Most of the hand tools have a lifetime warranty to.. Cant go wrong with them in my book.
Old 11-24-13, 02:23 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I have lots of tools from them, including 2 torque wrenches no issues.
Old 11-24-13, 03:37 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are hit or miss. After breaking a head bolt off in the block due to a faulty hf torque wrench, I use nothing but snap-on now. I do have an impact socket set that seems fine, but there are not many precision or moving parts in those...
Old 11-24-13, 04:11 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trust tq wrenches from HFT. I would use HFT tq wrench for one purpose only and that is for wheel lug nuts. I have other tools from them. When working on engine spend the money on some quality tq wrenches. Spent about $300 for two Precision Instrument(I think Snap-on owns them) 'split beam' tq wrenches and they're great. Made in USA. It'll pay for itself after one timing belt service. No to chinese tq wrenches!
Old 11-24-13, 04:54 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ this guy and stock hatch hit it on the head. Ill use a lot of their **** like sockets/gear wrenches and misc hand tools, my junkyard bag is nearly exclusively hf. But torque wrench is from Matco. I won't trust a off brand one, and I have mine re calibrated every six months. Another thing is line wrenches, like for brake work and such. Buy quality on those too
Old 11-24-13, 06:32 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They make good one time use tools. Don't expect them to go much more than that. Even the torque wrench will lose calibration after a couple of uses despite not being dropped. The sockets all start to bellow out after use and will start stripping nuts and bolts (including their impact sockets!) The screwdrivers become dull and will start stripping philips heads out. The air compressors are absolute trash and will not flow the CFM advertised even brand new. The air tools are worthless. Welders are grossly overrated.

I can praise a few tools..

Their hammers have all been fine. The jack stands all work well but I probably won't be around anymore to tell you if one fails. The aluminum jacks themselves last a few years but do slowly stop working. The electric grinders work well and come with extra brushes for when the motor dies. The presses have very ****ty frames but the bottle jacks work well. The frames can be welded for more strength (just don't use a welder that they sell)
Old 11-24-13, 08:25 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

i do have some harbor frieght tools and i usually find them to work just fine. I have a ft-lbs torque wrench and it works great. If your working on engine internals or something of that nature i recommend investing on a quality torque wrench but for most of the time they will work fine.
Old 11-25-13, 01:01 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Torque wrenches I buy from Craftsman. I would buy from Snap-On as well if I could ever be around when one of their trucks shows up at a shop. Things like dollies, hydraulic jacks and countless general tools and even some sockets I'll buy at Harbor Freight. They are very useful when you don't need the most obscure and expensive tools.
Old 11-25-13, 02:01 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO theres nothing wrong with having a few sets of HF tools, wrenches, socket sets, etc.

i do believe, much like many others here, that torque wrenches are an exception, however.

torque wrenches and other similar precision tools should be some of your most expensive tools, budget allowing.

also, skip on HF's flare nut wrenches. because of the lower quality metal and less precise casts (or whatever method they use) the heads of the wrenches are more bulky (MORE ****ty metal to make it stronger than less quality metal) and the I.D. of the wrench isnt as precise and can lead to stripping of the wrench and rounding of brake (& similar) flare nuts.

i bought that 0-100/150? ft lb torque wrench from hf 4 years ago for lug nuts... now that im back at a boat (submarine) i have regained the ability to calibrate torque wrenches. ill see how the HF tq wrench does and get back to you guys.
Old 11-25-13, 07:56 PM
jschru
Driver

i pick up misc. tools from HF. taps, dyes, cut off wheel, ratcheting wrenches. I do have a torque wrench and from there and it works for me. made by pittsburgh tools. i think theres a warranty on it. as far as wrenches, ratchets, sockets, drivers, and tools i use often i go with craftsman. not super expensive and has a lifetime warranty. had a screwdriver that got gasket maker on it, took a hammer to the tip and snapped it, walked into the store and got a new one no questions asked.