Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ObdII 2jzge turbo insights/questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 07:27 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ObdII 2jzge turbo insights/questions

So ive browsed all over club lexus and tried to make sense of alot of posts...

Still lost in the dark somewhat

In new jersey. They plug into the obdII for inspections.. So keep that in mind that i need the obd port to function

I been considering swapping, turboing..

The only swap i think would work is a usdm 2jzgte obdII supra motor/ ecu. Am i right?
The aristo vvti swap does not offer obd2.. Whomp whomp

Did anyone ever successfully piggyback the factory ecu with anything? I see everyone saying aem fic. And i see mixed reviews. Any insight?
Turboed obd1 s no problem multiple times. First real time dabbling into obd2 car modifications. What a nightmare!
Old 11-10-13, 07:57 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm in Chicago, and we are obdii emission tested as well. im running a usdm obdii tt ecu on my 97, and its due for emissions next month. i'll keep you posted and see if it passes. theoretically, it should
Old 11-11-13, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah if you have the odb2 tt ecu swap and its working without and check engine codes then you should be good to go. you are limited in that there are no ecu's with odb2 and vvti, so if you want to run that ecu it can't be vvti. piggyback has mixed reviews for odb2.
Old 11-11-13, 11:17 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in NY and have to pass obd2 emissions same as you. I'm planning on going piggyback with a na-t set up as opposed to a full engine swap because of extra work and money.

But pretty much the only proper swap to pass would be out of an obd2 supra us spec.

There are ways around everything of course, its just a matter of how far you want to go for the swap.
Old 11-11-13, 01:07 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why my SC is a 1995 But my 2001 GS300 is another story. Wondering how piggybacks affect OBDII myself!
Old 11-11-13, 03:42 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Piggybacks are fine. The key is not triggering a CEL. On some other platforms with cracked ECU software, you can actually "delete" a code from the ECU so that it never actually checks for the cats.

OBD1 is a breeze in NY. OBD2 is also manageable depending on how clever you wanna get.
Old 11-11-13, 04:11 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Damn I'm glad I live in Florida where as long as you have a valid title in your name for the car you can register it and it doesn't matter if it's a pile of scrap that doesn't run, a steam engine or OBII compliant. I know my first car when I was 16 a neglected Acura Legend would have been screwed up north it smoked like a quart of oil every 1000 miles.
Old 11-11-13, 06:08 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Piggybacks are fine. The key is not triggering a CEL. On some other platforms with cracked ECU software, you can actually "delete" a code from the ECU so that it never actually checks for the cats.

OBD1 is a breeze in NY. OBD2 is also manageable depending on how clever you wanna get.
Nice. I think i read on here about Greddy Emanage being great for this particular scenario. USDM TT ECU's are not easy to find. For NA-T With the no check engine lights and a good cat plumbed in i'd think it would pass no problems. Wonder how fast a check engine light would trigger with a turbo running on like 4psi or wastegate pressure un tuned? Next would be what are the usual codes which pop up. Maybe run supra TT spark plugs? Space the O2 sensors? Would be awesome if it would pass like that. lol Just thinking aloud
Old 11-11-13, 07:26 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Running rich is USUALLY the first trouble code to worry about. Clear all codes. Stay out of boost until the ECU is 'ready' and all sensor systems have reported back to the ECU. Get car inspected. THEN let it rip once the sticker is firmly attached to your windshield.
Old 11-12-13, 05:28 AM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

Lol. Ive been down this road alot. Sticker is on. Two year inspection. But im contemplating long term. I think im going to give the aem fic a shot and see how that works. Obd1 i pass with no problem. Sniff test for emissions. But there was no full thread in seeing how na t obd 2 fared. But ill keep you guys posted. I say january february ill tackle this na t concept
Old 11-12-13, 07:15 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obdii and piggybacks are VERY temperamental. If you want to see what can be done with an obdii setup, search Jeff Tsai's posts. With that said, you have to put many hours into tuning fuel trims and come up with some clever methods of ecu trickery to make it work perfectly. It is not for the faint of heart, and I would buy an obdi shell and swap the drivetrain over to it before facing the obdii headache.
Old 11-12-13, 08:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It is harder to find those ecu's but they do come up for sale from time to time, and once you get it wired up you won't have to worry about fuel trims and o2 spacers/simulators all that stuff. If I had a 96 or 97 I would go that route 100%. 98+ vvti I would get an aem fic and use all the new tech to keep the stock n/a ecu working.
Old 11-12-13, 09:45 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I've heard way too many horror stories about the fic on multiple platforms to ever consider it. 98 and up I'd vvti gte swap and run the gte and stock ecu in parallel. 96-97 would be na/t on tt ecu, or for those who absolutely have to have a gte, aristo swap with tt obd2 electronics.

Any competent tuner whos been in the biz for a while will turn you away with an obd2 stock ecu and piggyback. It's an absolute hassle, not monitarily worth their time by a long shot.
Old 11-12-13, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

You would be surprised how many shops recommend it on vvti ge's. It is a huge hassle but it can be made to work and they get a bunch of tune time which is why they still do it. I never really liked the idea though.
you could always use the vvti gte ecu but you would have to keep the stock ecu in parallel as you said for odb2. If that isn't to complicated I would look into that, but likely it is easier to just delete vvti or swap to non vvti and run the tt odb2 electronics. Its not like you are forced to keep a vvti motor I know about the age thing but to most people one Jz looks like any other JZ. slap a non-turbo head on there with a gte headgaset and use the usdm tt ecu. vvti is great and all but the turbo/s will still keep you pretty happy.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-12-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 04:50 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

Thanks guys. This given me alot of insight on this. Ill keep checking for a usdm gte obd2 ecu. If i end up getting one. Then gte swap it will be. No ecu. Aem fic it will be