Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz-gte swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 01:58 PM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz-gte swap questions

hey guys,
so i might be getting a new car soon, even though its not going to be a sc300 i thought you guys could help me. I'm getting a 91 supra 1jz swapped and had a couple questions. Here is what the car has

Its got MK4 rims off the newer supras, they are 5 lug, they have brand new tires on them
1jz GTE swapped
R154 Transmission
4.10 Gears
LSD built rear end
After market intake manifold
Stage 3 Clutch
Quick release E Break
Recaro driver and passenger seats
gutted interrior
plexi glass rear and side windows
57MM t3/t4 turbo
44MM external waste gate dumped
After market racing headers
full exhaust
5 Gallon Fuel cell
Vortech external fuel pump
CX racing front mount intercooler
Greddy Type S blow off valve

So, now time for my questions.
- It still has the stock ecu even though he has done a single turbo swap. Is the stock ecu good for a single turbo setup?
- are the single turbo swapped 1jz non vvti a good idea or would it be better to stick with twins?
-does a non vvti run a map or a maf?
-could i tune the car with the stock ecu or would i need a stand-alone or a piggy-back system?
-he says it has boost cuts because it isn't completely wired? if the engine will start and run fine how would it cause it to have boost cuts?
-how much power do you think the 57mm turbo could give? he doesn't know what kind of turbo it is though. Is there anyway to tell if it is a cheap ebay turbo?
-he says it drives fine even though he doesn't have the map or maf (whichever one it uses)
-How much would it cost to get a new windsheild? is it possible to find one at a junkyard and swap it out?

thanks for the help guys! just got into the car sceen as i have only had my license for a couple years. still learning.
thanks again!
Old 10-15-13, 02:15 PM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

hey couple other questions now, (yes I know I'm a noob )
-how can i tell if the car really has a r154 intead of a w58? would it drive or shift differently? i know they look pretty similiar.
-is there a way to tell if the car has a lsd? driving it i probably could but i have only driven a couple cars with a lsd.
-is it illegal to drive a car without a front windsheil or a interior? i would eventually get a windsheild and more interior peices, but for when i first get the car.
Old 10-15-13, 03:38 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

I'm a mk3 a70 guy, i've owned 3 so i could answer most if not all your questions. i've got a huge soft spot for a70's. you will probably get a little flame this being a SC forum, but theres alot of info on 1J's here. you should also join a Supra fourm like Supramania. i'm a member and could give you alot more info. but I have no problem helpin ya out.

I'll PM you.
Old 10-15-13, 04:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by drewtcook
hey guys,
so i might be getting a new car soon, even though its not going to be a sc300 i thought you guys could help me. I'm getting a 91 supra 1jz swapped and had a couple questions. Here is what the car has

Its got MK4 rims off the newer supras, they are 5 lug, they have brand new tires on them
1jz GTE swapped
R154 Transmission
4.10 Gears
LSD built rear end
After market intake manifold
Stage 3 Clutch
Quick release E Break
Recaro driver and passenger seats
gutted interrior
plexi glass rear and side windows
57MM t3/t4 turbo
44MM external waste gate dumped
After market racing headers
full exhaust
5 Gallon Fuel cell
Vortech external fuel pump
CX racing front mount intercooler
Greddy Type S blow off valve

So, now time for my questions.
- It still has the stock ecu even though he has done a single turbo swap. Is the stock ecu good for a single turbo setup?
- are the single turbo swapped 1jz non vvti a good idea or would it be better to stick with twins?
-does a non vvti run a map or a maf?
-could i tune the car with the stock ecu or would i need a stand-alone or a piggy-back system?
-he says it has boost cuts because it isn't completely wired? if the engine will start and run fine how would it cause it to have boost cuts?
-how much power do you think the 57mm turbo could give? he doesn't know what kind of turbo it is though. Is there anyway to tell if it is a cheap ebay turbo?
-he says it drives fine even though he doesn't have the map or maf (whichever one it uses)
-How much would it cost to get a new windsheild? is it possible to find one at a junkyard and swap it out?

thanks for the help guys! just got into the car sceen as i have only had my license for a couple years. still learning.
thanks again!
wrong forum for this really but ill answer some questions since we deal with the 1jz around here alot.
yes stock ecu is fine for single turbo but the 1jz ecu in general is not the best. alot swap for a 2jzgte ecu or standalone but you need a patch harness.
1jz non vvti runs a map sensor for everything, no maf sensor.
you need a piggyback to tune the stock ecu, otherwise it sort of does its own thing which is fine till you go larger injectors then you need the piggyback.
boost cut is a factory feature is stops the motor if you go over 14.5 lbs of boost. there are ways to get around it most install a boost cut controller its just a few wires at the ecu.
power depends on the boost and turbo, it will boost just start out with that, make sure everything is working then worry about power on a dyno, or upgrade the turbo later.
the car will not run without a map sensor, maybe he means he hasn't installed the boost cut controller on the ecu yet. it clamps the map sensor voltage so you don't hit boost cut.
new windshield is like 3-400 for generic one installed I think, its been a while. you maybe can find one used but then you have to uninstall it and install it and know how to do those things.

Originally Posted by drewtcook
hey couple other questions now, (yes I know I'm a noob )
-how can i tell if the car really has a r154 intead of a w58? would it drive or shift differently? i know they look pretty similiar.
-is there a way to tell if the car has a lsd? driving it i probably could but i have only driven a couple cars with a lsd.
-is it illegal to drive a car without a front windsheil or a interior? i would eventually get a windsheild and more interior peices, but for when i first get the car.
slave cylinders look completely different for one.
it does drive and shift differently but you wouldnt be able to really tell like that.
it probably doesn't have lsd unless they told you it does, its not a mod someone forgets its generally an expensive mod. you can do a burnout and count the lines, or you can open the cover and take a look.
I am pretty sure you have to have a windshield at least on the highway, and I would guess you need a proper drivers seat and seatbelt.
Old 10-15-13, 05:40 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

a70 supra turbos come with r154s and lsd, N/A's have w58 open-diff like a SC-N/A jz80. there is a plate on the firewall and drivers door that tells you the vin and if it was turbo or n/a and orig tranny. doesnt mean thats exactly whats in it now. most of us could tell by looking at it but i'd say compare pictures. theres a sticker above the diff that says "LSD oil only" and like Ali said the slave cylinders are different on trannys along with overall design, everything is similar but has their differences.

I see alot of homework in your future with this car. awesome he did a 1j swap but now you are inheriting the problems the previous owner had and now its your problem it's running so you're close.
Old 10-16-13, 09:50 AM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback!
so, it is actually a vvti, even though his ad says it isn't, it is . so just having the bigger turbo won't cause to much of a problem with the vvti ecu? I'll guess there pretty similar to the non-vvti engine ecu's. Since it is a vvti is has a MAF, instead of a MAP. Could the car run and drive without the MAF? would this also be the problem for the boost cuts?

Also, to wire up A/C and heat into the car would i need to do anything special to wire it up and get it working?
Old 10-16-13, 11:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

if its a 1jz vvti then its a maf setup **edit** does not have a map sensor***, and it came factory as a single turbo.
the 1jz vvti does not have twin turbos normally.

the ecu's read airflow or boost, so the type of turbo is not going to throw it off a whole lot especially on the maf setup because it is actually measuring exactly how much air is coming into the engine. on a map sensor setup sure the fueling might be a little bit off due to the turbo flow differences at a given psi, but it generally is not enough to worry about and sorts itself out if you have a good o2 sensor and when you get into full boost it will be fine, the ecu does a good job of learning, and since your turbo is on the smaller side it won't be crazy different than the stocker anyways.
the car will not drive without a maf sensor it is used for fueling on vvti.
not sure if you can pull the map sensor or not on the vvti. I would expect a check engine light at the least.
you can maybe get past boost cut on these models by messing with the vac line to the map sensor, or you can just get the boost cut controller. you can't mess with the vac line normally on map sensor only ecu's because well it uses the map sensor for running but the vvti does not.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-18-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 03:45 PM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

so, if i keep the stock ecu and got a boost cut controller how much psi would i be able to run?
Old 10-16-13, 06:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

whatever is safe to run on the stock injectors. a wideband air fuel sensor would help.
Old 10-18-13, 08:54 AM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

ok, so since the 1jz vvti engines are rare, is there any other MAF i could use instead of a 1jz one? If i got the car I would get a 1jz MAF, It would just take a couple weeks to come in. Is there any other MAF that could work instead? Just so i could get it home without running stupid rich? Also as far as custom stuff goes, my buddy is a very good welder and drifter, could we make a custom harness bar and roll cage that would be approved to drift with?
Old 10-18-13, 11:02 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1J vvti DOES NOT HAVE A MAP SENSOR! THERE IS NO MAP SENSOR ON VVTi 1JZ!!!

OP, you should either buy a more complete car or spend a year learning about this stuff. I promise if you buy this car you're gonna have to spend way more money than if you bought a shell and knew what you were doing. Not trying to sound like a **** but from reading your posts this isn't something you're famiar with and there's only so much we can really tell you. Also, this isn't a mk3 forum, and a lot of the questions you will/do have are mk3 related. As for the JZ specific stuff, do some research and get familiar with what's what.

And seriously, don't buy this car. You're not ready for it, and I promise, based on what you've posted in this entire thread, you'll regret it.
Old 10-18-13, 11:10 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. You're not ready. The last question in your last post. These are cars. With the right ambition, logic, and amount of money, anything is possible. Good luck. Please try supramania. You will probably not like the responses you get at supraforums, if you get any.
Old 10-18-13, 11:21 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and FYI, about half the na mk3 had LSD. If the car had the sport package (tems, headlight washers) it has an LSD. It's marked on the rear diff cover.
Old 10-18-13, 11:58 AM
drewtcook
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the pointless feedback, if you read you would've found out that there was a miss communication with the seller, he said the engine wasn't a vvti and needed a maf sensor, I thought they needed a MAP sensor (because he said it wasn't vvti) so i asked to be sure. Found out later that it is actually a vvti which uses a maf.
and whats wrong with the last question, don't want to buy a 1jz vvti MAF and have to pay $400 dollars for one. The ones of a z32 will work and the ones off a sc400 97+ are the same exact part.
Old 10-18-13, 01:41 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

You didn't read. I said no map because Ali said it uses both. It does not. Also, last question of your previous last post was asking if you could put in a harness bar or something. You could put a harness bar in anything if you build it. That question right there, to me, is indicative that you're not at the level that a project like this requires. I do this for a living dude. And I'm typing this driving my vvti 1j daily. Plug that z32 maf in and see what happens. Correct maf is mk4 supra or ls400 obd2. Prob obd2 sc4 too.

I'm just saying that based on the questions asked that you are going to be over your head with a basket case someone half assed together.

Quick Reply: 1jz-gte swap questions