Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Fuel Pump? 1JZ GTE VVTI

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 10:48 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Which Fuel Pump? 1JZ GTE VVTI

Sup guys? I hope everybody is doing well.

92 SC400, 1JZ GTE VVTI, stock injectors, stock turbo, 3" downpipe, 3" midpipe, 3" exhaust, SAFC2, FMIC.
Currently still on stock fuel pump with 12v mods.

Some questions:
- Is the stock fuel pump brand Denso and what's the capacity (lph)?
- Which Walbro 255lph should I get (GSS341 or GSS342)? Do I need a specific kit to make it work?
- Is aftermarket FPR necessary? Which Aeromotive FPR (part number) to get?

I am planning on getting bigger injectors in the future but I want to see if replacing the fuel pump by itself while running stock injectors will have any benefits in performance.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

-David
Old 10-09-13, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

stock is a denso, no idea on capacity but it is less than the gte models.
you don't need an aftermarket fpr at all. the stock fpr is good even with larger injectors.

replacing the fuel pump does not change how much fuel is injected at all, so no performance gains.
when you install larger injectors though and are injecting more fuel, it will be able to keep up with the new fuel demands then cause of the larger pump.
even though installing the larger pump on the stock injectors will have more flow, extra fuel will be returned by the regulator so you will see the same fuel pressure as before, so all a larger pump will do is allow you to push more fuel through the rail without the pressure dropping at all. pressure dropping at WOT in boost would be bad if the stock pump couldn't keep up with larger injectors.

cause you are running your stock one at 12v, it should be fine for your current setup, but if you go to larger injectors it would be a good idea to do the pump as well, I know I did pump and injectors at the same time.

cant remember which walboro I have. I think the difference is just in how the inlet an outlet are. someone will probably know though.
Old 10-09-13, 12:46 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Ali. In that case, I'll get the fuel pump, aftermarket fpr when I got my tomei m8280, 650cc injectors, tomei cams, and pfc.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
stock is a denso, no idea on capacity but it is less than the gte models.
you don't need an aftermarket fpr at all. the stock fpr is good even with larger injectors.

replacing the fuel pump does not change how much fuel is injected at all, so no performance gains.
when you install larger injectors though and are injecting more fuel, it will be able to keep up with the new fuel demands then cause of the larger pump.
even though installing the larger pump on the stock injectors will have more flow, extra fuel will be returned by the regulator so you will see the same fuel pressure as before, so all a larger pump will do is allow you to push more fuel through the rail without the pressure dropping at all. pressure dropping at WOT in boost would be bad if the stock pump couldn't keep up with larger injectors.

cause you are running your stock one at 12v, it should be fine for your current setup, but if you go to larger injectors it would be a good idea to do the pump as well, I know I did pump and injectors at the same time.

cant remember which walboro I have. I think the difference is just in how the inlet an outlet are. someone will probably know though.
Old 10-10-13, 09:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds good, but you don't really need a fuel pressure regulator unless you want to change your fuel pressure, which you probably wont be doing.
Old 10-15-13, 03:45 PM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a gss342 Walbro w/o fuel pump ecu mod in my 2jzgte running 12 psi (currently) on a single t67 and no problems also running stock fpr