Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Had my rebuilt R154 transmission installed yesterday (initial impressions)

Old 10-24-13, 03:57 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reverse is not synchronized on a w58 either. Its a straight cut gear that gets shoved in between the countershaft and 1-2 slider on the mainshaft, just like on the majority of manual gearboxes out there. The W58 and r154 are fundamentally the same with the exception of component strength.

Edit, I lied and you are correct. Reverse is synchronized on a W58! I'm really surprised. Sorry.

Last edited by stockhatch; 10-24-13 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 09:14 PM
suprakidxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You'll like it. I've found it even easier to drive since my last post and I have to take it back about the 7MGTE clutch-- it's fine. Just had to get broken in more. The SupraSport shifter feels great still. Overall I understand why it's a transmission designed for a turbocharged engine with longer gearing. It works brilliantly on an NA 4.27 combo but it's obvious once you drive it that a turbo can only help exploit it far more. Under boost... I can't tell you anything about that, lol.

"Truck transmission"... "clunky transmission"... yeah, okay.... sure it is...

As I mentioned before, with this transmission (and a V160 apparently) you have to select 1st or second to ensure that reverse is slowed down before selecting it due to not having synchros there like the W58. Not a big deal.

atfer its been dogged all its life and develops play. yes it then feels like my 1988 toyota 4x4 which has the r150 variant . but after the r150 was rebuilt it was smooth to shift and not heavy like before.
Old 11-07-13, 01:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I have to revise a few of my statements about how the R154 feels against a non-turbo GE. Yesterday I discovered that my rubber intake tube had cracked all the way through which allowed unmetered air into my cylinders. This was the reason for a host of issues: intermittent low idle, irregular idle, poor acceleration, bad fuel economy, valve train noise at 4k rpm and higher. I've got a replacement tube on the way and have Gaff taped it for now (great stuff).

The issues are now cured and the pull is strong again. The R154 does *NOT* overwhelm the GE engine in NA form. It's just solid. Revving into 5500 rpm is easy again. Shifting is still nice and smooth.

Prior to my discovery and fix I was beginning to think that maybe I should have kept my 4.08 diff as the 4.27 seemed a bit too much gear for the R. NOPE! If anything, the combination feels better than with the W58.

Still, though, the next logical step is a GTE swap and a 3.92 ratio swap.

I love the transmission, the V3 shifter, the 7M clutch. It feels great and very solid in the car during normal and aggressive driving. There is no trouble with shifting into gear.

For what it's worth to you guys weighing pros and cons...

And I will get pictures of the shifter up soon. It's been a busy month and I have been out of town.
Old 11-07-13, 01:56 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Reverse is not synchronized on a w58 either. Its a straight cut gear that gets shoved in between the countershaft and 1-2 slider on the mainshaft, just like on the majority of manual gearboxes out there. The W58 and r154 are fundamentally the same with the exception of component strength.

Edit, I lied and you are correct. Reverse is synchronized on a W58! I'm really surprised. Sorry.
Hey, just saw this. No harm done, stockhatch I only learned that fact recently myself. I've found that an easier method to using reverse in the R154 is to roll forward half a foot or so and try selecting it again. Works every time

If that's normal behavior it's obvious as to why Lexus would want the W-series 58 and 55 as their 5-speed box versus the R154. Cranky luxury car owners would complain about their high performance cars having difficulty with reverse.

But I still think this gearbox is closer to "the relentless pursuit of perfection" than their official offering
Old 11-07-13, 01:59 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by suprakidxx
atfer its been dogged all its life and develops play. yes it then feels like my 1988 toyota 4x4 which has the r150 variant . but after the r150 was rebuilt it was smooth to shift and not heavy like before.
Well, here is hoping I won't have to deal with that for a long time. The R150 and 151 are great transmissions, so I've heard.
Old 11-10-13, 01:09 AM
suprakidxx
Driver

I got my built 154 install with the ssv3 shifter. its tight and heavy to shift. not to uncomfortable but id like for it to be lighter to shift. using mt90 fluid.
Old 11-10-13, 01:18 AM
KahnBB6

Have you JUST had it rebuilt? How many miles are you into it? You'll want to change the tranny fluid after 200-250 miles to remove particulates from the new synchros breaking in. MT90 is what you want for fluid, yes. You don't want to exceed 4000 rpm until about 800 miles or so anyway (clutch break-in).

Give it more miles to break in. Like 1000-1500 miles before you pass judgement on the V3 shifter. It's heavy and tight at first, yes but as you break in the transmission further you will find it easier to use.

For a lighter shift feel you could switch back to the SC300 W58 shifter but I think you should give it some more time if you've just had the gearbox worked on.
Old 11-10-13, 06:58 AM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who rebuilt it? Oem rebuild? Or MC goodies?
Old 11-10-13, 06:59 AM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say re-bleed your clutch. I've heard that they are suppose to shift a lot smoother than stock.
Old 11-10-13, 10:10 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by emoFTW
Who rebuilt it? Oem rebuild? Or MC goodies?
I had Speed For Sale in Alpharetta, Georgia rebuild it. Used every available MC part and the DM 3-4 shift fork. I used an OEM Toyota 7MGTE clutch kit (NA engine). It shifts very smoothly-- far easier pedal feel than the ACT stage 2 I had on my W58.

Edit: Sorry if this was directed to Suprakidxx. I was groggy when reading the thread this morning.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-10-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 06:41 PM
suprakidxx
Driver

the trans was used by a friend that had it in a 7m supra it may have 3-4 months on it.
Old 11-10-13, 07:00 PM
KahnBB6

Suprakidxx, that's probably well into the break-in mileage. Maybe you should switch to the SC300 swan shifter in that case. You will want the MC shift seat (nylon-- pita to install but worth it) and their shift lever nylon bushing. You'll notice that the V3 shifter does not require that shifter seat.

I really like the feel of mine. Definitely heavier than how my W58 shifted but I'd compare it to a GM T-56 or Cobra Tremec T-5 5-speed.
Old 11-10-13, 07:36 PM
suprakidxx
Driver

I have new bushings for the shifter from MC too. my friend compares it to a short throw on a dump truck lol. ill keep driving this way. maybe it will grow on me but its hard to speed shift when doing a dig.

Suprakidxx, that's probably well into the break-in mileage. Maybe you should switch to the SC300 swan shifter in that case. You will want the MC shift seat (nylon-- pita to install but worth it) and their shift lever nylon bushing. You'll notice that the V3 shifter does not require that shifter seat.

I really like the feel of mine. Definitely heavier than how my W58 shifted but I'd compare it to a GM T-56 or Cobra Tremec T-5 5-speed.
Old 11-11-13, 02:02 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by suprakidxx
I have new bushings for the shifter from MC too. my friend compares it to a short throw on a dump truck lol. ill keep driving this way. maybe it will grow on me but its hard to speed shift when doing a dig.
A dump truck? Lol. You're right-- it's isn't quite as easy to shift incredibly fast with the R154 but then again you and I are both on recently rebuilt gearboxes. My rebuilder said they do take quite a while to get really smooth. From what I have heard, the later Soarer R154's have better shift feel than these earlier designs. The Solstice AR5 probably feels better than that.

With a 4.27 rear (and no turbo) I go through my gears pretty quickly and my shifting speed varies depending on whether I am accelerating flat out, at 80% or just slowly building or holding at an RPM because of traffic. To me it's as if, under certain conditions, choosing and locking into gear can't be done TOO fast but this is by no means slow. It does feel like the shift qualities are better absorbed in Toyota's turbo cars with 3.77 and 3.92 ratios though, which is what I plan to switch to in the future.
Old 11-11-13, 02:59 AM
suprakidxx
Driver

A dump truck? Lol. You're right-- it's isn't quite as easy to shift incredibly fast with the R154 but then again you and I are both on recently rebuilt gearboxes. My rebuilder said they do take quite a while to get really smooth. From what I have heard, the later Soarer R154's have better shift feel than these earlier designs. The Solstice AR5 probably feels better than that.

With a 4.27 rear (and no turbo) I go through my gears pretty quickly and my shifting speed varies depending on whether I am accelerating flat out, at 80% or just slowly building or holding at an RPM because of traffic. To me it's as if, under certain conditions, choosing and locking into gear can't be done TOO fast but this is by no means slow. It does feel like the shift qualities are better absorbed in Toyota's turbo cars with 3.77 and 3.92 ratios though, which is what I plan to switch to in the future.
well there is hope then
also i have a 3.91---thinking about going to a 3.73

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had my rebuilt R154 transmission installed yesterday (initial impressions)