Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 shutting off while braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 05:18 PM
plsrespond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 shutting off while braking

I've done some research outside of these forums and came up with nothing, there's only been one similar situation I've found here on Club Lexus so figured I'd ask you guys for help. I also included a picture to show you exactly what I'm referring to in my car.

Some background: I recently got my car back from a shop where they replaced the engine, fan clutch, water pump/timing belt, spark plug wires, throwout bearing, and even engine mounts. When I drove it home it was fine no problems, however later that night the car shut off while I was driving and the check engine light came on. Now the check engine light was on before I took it in to the shop but it was related to the egr valve.

I'm talking everything shutting off, and it only seems to happen while I brake. So I took it back and they pulled the check engine codes and told me they were not used to seeing such a code and it was most likely coming from the throttle body. They could be on the right track but basically the car has to be in motion going forward for this problem to occur. The brake light switch right next to the brake pedal is a major source of whatever is causing this. The shop unhooked it which meant no brake lights, but drove it around without having the car shut off on them. I tried it out for myself and indeed this seems to solve it. You would, according to them, have to smash the brakes in hard to get the same effect as before. However I can't drive the car with that unplugged and when I put it back in the problem was obviously still there. I noticed this only happens when going forward, I put it in neutral and revved it up and pressed on the brakes to try and get the same effect, along with going backwards in reverse and braking suddenly but neither of those things caused the car to turn off. I'm guessing whatever that switch connects to(besides the lights) is where the problem lies, or maybe some of the hoses coming off the throttle body. Not sure so I thought I'd seek any advice or opinions. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails SC300 shutting off while braking-img_1615.jpg  
Old 09-26-13, 06:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be safe to say that the switch is indeed good. I had this problem with two of my SC's, both brake related. Not the problem you are experiencing. When you hit the brakes does the whole interior cluster and lighting go dead, like everything is off and key out, or does the motor just stop running all together? I am curious about a bad ground. If this problem did not happen before the motor replacement then I would let them solve it. I am leaning toward a ground issue somewhere in your engine bay. Thats a educated guess.
Old 09-26-13, 08:14 PM
plsrespond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I would be safe to say that the switch is indeed good. I had this problem with two of my SC's, both brake related. Not the problem you are experiencing. When you hit the brakes does the whole interior cluster and lighting go dead, like everything is off and key out, or does the motor just stop running all together? I am curious about a bad ground. If this problem did not happen before the motor replacement then I would let them solve it. I am leaning toward a ground issue somewhere in your engine bay. Thats a educated guess.
Thanks for the guess, yep everything inside turns off as well although you could say reset technically. It will turn off along with the engine but the dash and stereo stay on, like the key was turned halfway for example.